• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

USCG Auxiliary Safety Inspection

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
In the event somebody wants this or wants to bypass the random inspection at the ramp, this is a free service provided by the USCG Auxiliary. I went to the website and put in my zip, hit submit and one of the local flotilla members reached out. Today (Sunday) they came to where I store my boat and did a free inspection of my boat. After I passed, they issued me a 2023 sticker for the windscreen.
FE4E9739-4658-4026-B19C-6C46A3755A5A.jpeg

Yes... This is awesome and I've had all my boats inspected by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. As an Active Duty Naval Officer of 23 years I can't recommend this program enough. I couldn't get one on my most recent 2019 242SE due to covid though. Are the inspectors back? @swatski wife is a CG Aux member and does the inspections BTW.

Seems all inspectors are back in the field. The lady is the commander, the guy in the middle is the inspector and the other guy on the end was a trainee. I passed with no problems, my neighbor that has a Scout 245 Dorado also had his boat inspected and failed for an expired fire extinguisher, went a bought a new one and it was undersized for the boat then went and bought another until he passed.

That is great. We passed a similar inspection from VSP marine division, out in front of the Coast Guard Station Burlington a few years ago. They have the free service too. Scheduled ours thru our marina. Love having it as we are less likely to be boarded for inspection while underway, unless we are acting like idiots.

20200711_142422.jpg

Last edited:
Th
That is great. We passed a similar inspection from VSP marine division, out in front of the Coast Guard Station Burlington a few years ago. They have the free service too. Scheduled ours thru our marina. Love having it as we are less likely to be boarded for inspection while underway, unless we are acting like idiots.

View attachment 194611
This is true. The inspector even said it’s a good idea for me to have. Being at the sandbars, having a go fast boat, and best of all, he called my “young” lol.

This is a great PSA...I'vebeen on the receiving end of an at-sea inspection twice and would love to get something that I can show them before they board. Thanks for the post.

I am boarded frequently in my area,(1-3 time a year in prior 2 years) it can be a brief nuisance at best, and go down from there. Cost guard is always overly professional, but our local forces are less so and need to be carefully managed to prevent harm to your boat.

The worst one executing questionable maneuvers said, "don't worry, we pay for anything we break". I suspect you will die many deaths before you see any money from this man or his employer.

Their inspections seem to be highly random, I haven't seen them skip anyone due to a sticker... How confident are you these things can improve your chances of not being stopped?

Thanks!

Their inspections seem to be highly random, I haven't seen them skip anyone due to a sticker... How confident are you these things can improve your chances of not being stopped?

From my view, I file it under 'can't hurt, can only help'. Worst case of getting the inspection is you're certain that you have all required gear on board and get a sticker. I've always had my boat stickered, never been stopped even in higher-enforcement areas and holidays.

I am boarded frequently in my area,(1-3 time a year in prior 2 years) it can be a brief nuisance at best, and go down from there. Cost guard is always overly professional, but our local forces are less so and need to be carefully managed to prevent harm to your boat.

The worst one executing questionable maneuvers said, "don't worry, we pay for anything we break". I suspect you will die many deaths before you see any money from this man or his employer.

Thanks!
Not looking so much to be passed by on a random stop but more, “hey this guy has met the requirements and been inspected, let’s look at the party barge pontoon with 50 people and a 25hp outboard. I have been stopped many times at ramps in Ohio and nothing is worse than getting ready to launch and there be a line for inspections.

I like the fact it’s free, and gives you, your friends and others the confidence you have everything you need.

For a free service, well worth the time IMO.

Back