• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Use your blowers

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just a friendly reminder to make sure everyone is constantly using there blowers, whether we think we need to run them or not.
This explosion happened yesterday at a marina in Knoxville
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/05/10/woman-hurt-boat-fire-concord-marina/27090491/

635668692335982327-marina-boat-fire.jpg

Sad to see! I hope she is Ok.

It's not that I don't trust the blower to do its job, but I always lift the engine bay for a period of time before we head to ramp. We'll turn it on while prepping the boat for launch too.

That is one thing that I am working very hard to remember to do. I remember to turn it on when we're at pre-launch, but I often forget to run it after we've been anchored on the water for a while. I need to get better.

I've only taken mine out three times so far, Saturday was the first time I remembered to run the blower. This is the first boat I've owned with a blower.

Prior to startup and while the motors are running I always have the blowers on. It's just a habit we have and it certainly doesn't hurt to run them.

I believe the fumes sit on the bottom of the engine bay, so lifting the engine compartment wont actually dispose of the fumes. Thats why the blower tubes almost touch the bottom of the engine bay.

Gasoline is highly volatile due to its low flash point and easily vaporizes when exposed to air. Because it is heavier than air, it can seek out ignition sources such as
a pilot light from a water heater, an electrical spark from a hand tool, or a lit cigarette dropped on the ground.

http://www.esfd.org/index.php/facts-and-safety-tips/fire-safety/flammable-substances-facts-tips

• Flash point—the minimum temperature at which the liquid will give off sufficient vapor to form an ignitable mixture with air.
  • Vapor density—ratio of density of vapor to the density of air. Substances with a vapor density greater than 1 are heavier than air and tend to accumulate in low or enclosed spaces.
Example Liquids and Their Properties
Substance | Class | Flash Point | Vapor Density**
Gasoline | Flammable Liquid | -45 o F | 3-4
Propane | Flammable Liquid | -156 o F | 1.56 @ 32 o F
Ethanol | Flammable Liquid | 55 o F | 1.6
Methanol | Flammable Liquid | 52 o F | 1.1
Turpentine | Flammable Liquid | 95 o F | 4.8
Kerosene | Combustible Liquid | 100 o F | 4.5
Diesel Fuel | Combustible Liquid | 125 o F | >1
Safety Solvent | Combustible Liquid | 100-140 o F | 4.8
Paint Thinner | Combustible Liquid | 105 o F | 4.9

Last edited:
Should the blowers be running anytime the engines are on or can I turn them off after the engines are started.

Our boats are less susceptible to fires from fumes because they are fuel injected. (No open carbs or sparks)

However I do think it's important to run the blowers before every launch. I do it before every outing. The manual states to run them for about 4 mins before starting the engines.

I only run them at the start of the day. I dont run them if I've been out and about during the course of the day.

I have made it a habit of turning my on, with the bilge, and leaving it on while under way. I will turn them off once we get stopped. Once you get used to doing this, it will become second nature.

Always run the blower before starting the engines. But before you start the blower for the first crank, open the engine hatch and smell for fumes. Use the blower if you are running at off plane speeds. There won't be enough forced air to keep the engine compartment clear. Do not run the blower when fueling as this can draw fumes into the engine compartment. Once finished refueling, run the blower for 4 minutes.

I turn the blower on as soon as I get to the launch and leave it on until I'm out of the no wake zone. I'll also flip it on a few minutes before pulling anchors up. I would agree that newer fuel injected motors should be safer than carburetored ones. I have yet to smell anything in the Yamaha engine bay, but almost always had fumes in my carb Bayliner.

This is why I spent a little money <$150 on a Fume Detector....cheap insurance and peace of mind to know my boat will Alarm if fumes are detected! Installation is pretty easy....hardest part is finding a spot for the alarm on the dash! (link to install is in my sig and FAQ)

With a fume detector, whenever fumes are detected....it turns the blowers on!

Assign the blower switch to the kids. They are always ready to turn it on as we are pulling anchors, etc. I run it prior to start up and until faster than no wake speed. Then I flip it off, if I remember.

We're not talking about propane here, fuel vapors are lighter than air, so they will be apparent if you have fuel vapors in the engine compartment when you lift the hatch. Nonetheless, run the blowers before start. I like the idea that if your at sub plane speeds, that you run the blower, because it as @Shuck Water says, is not drawing air as effectively.

Yeah I am pretty anal about running them enough...I keep them on while in a no wake zone.

At least 3-5 minutes after any long stop (anchor or lunch).

Are these blowers are pushing air out or in? Or does one draw in and one out?

I've seen all 3 variations in boats but never looked at mine. I assume both are exhausting air to the outside.

I think one is pulling in while the other is blowing out.

Reminder for all of y'all who proudly are able to own a 2015 24-foot Yamaha with CONNEXT:

You can SET your BLOWERS to Automatic. This way you'll never have to turn on or off your blowers again. The system will take care of this for you. 1 additional benefit of these great Yamaha watercrafts.

If you have not done this already, please do so. And avoid any potential later problems, or worse.

If you do not know how to do this, is explained simply on PAGE 59 of your 2015 24-foot owners manual.

For this, and many other tidbits to make your boating dayz more enjoyable, I remain, your Truly on Lake Murray, SC - Mikey Lulejian

Back