• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waiver form?

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a handful of friends that want to get into wake boarding this year with me. I was thinking of having a good friend of mine that's a lawyer draft up some kind of waiver. Something basically stating that they do these watersports at their own risk and can not hold me liable in the event of bodily damage. Has anyone done this before?

I haven't talked to my lawyer friend about this yet. Would this hold up in court?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My old neighbor in Illinois did something like this for neighborhood kids using his trampoline. Too many accidents on those for his taste....not sure where he got the waiver form, but I THINK he took one from one of those Bouncy House Stores and plagiarized the wording.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yea I've thought about this too since one of my buddies refuses to sign up for obamacare and prefers no insurance.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It would seem weird making a friend sign a form before they get on the boat to me. I think it goes without saying that you are doing this at your own risk.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea I've thought about this too since one of my buddies refuses to sign up for obamacare and prefers no insurance.
Its understandable if your friend cant afford health insurance, even obamacare.

Starting nest year, as an added feature, he will be fined for not having that insurance he cant afford to buy..........

Seems Legit......

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would say if you're even thinking about this, you shouldn't bring them out.

I completely understand thinking that it could happen to anyone, and you want to protect yourself. Are these close friends or people that you trust?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only time I've ever required "zee papers" was with little ones - a medical release form actually, so that in the event of an accident we could render or authorize medical treatment. Listed Insurance info, phone numbers, allergies, etc. You pick that up personally from mom or dad and as you shake their hand, look them in the eye and tell 'em, "I'll treat him/her as if they were my own."

As you drive off, start screaming and cussing at your kids......

Fortunately I also have a Ugunnasuememometer and it's been very accurate so far. I learned early on the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. Just the same, if it looks like rain, I carry an umbrella.

:cool:

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a shame you have to do that, but nowadays it's better safe than sorry!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm looking to cover my ass. I'm 32 and I have friends from 21 to 40. Some of the younger friends I'm clueless if they have insurance and it's better safe than sorry.

It's better to be extra safe than to have someone get hurt and in a desperate financial situation decide they have no choice but to sue.

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have Polk in my boat and home. I love Polk Audio.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is a great idea. I may consider this. Every single time we go out in the summer, I have my 15 year old's friends on board and now my 8 year old is inviting friends as well. The unfortunate thing is you never know what people will do once faced with the injury or faced with an attorney that convinces them to sue. I have a friend that is an attorney that specializes in traffic and injury. He says that they often convince the injured to go after their friends because they know that the friend will not have to come "out of pocket" but the insurance company will pay and usually to maximums. To me that stinks because the friend still has to deal with the situation and most likely their insurance will increase. I told him that and asked if he has any concerns that it is kind of smiley. He said (with a straight face), "That's the business!"

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can't trust your friends, get new friends...just sayin'... :rolleyes:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sadly, I don't think it is a bad idea. I don't know how it works with boats, but I've heard with cars, if you lend your car to someone and they wreck it, your insurance is first in line for the claim, not theirs, so it may be a similar situation where, even if they have insurance, if someone is injured, their insurance company may come after your insurance company. It doesn't have to be a friend suing you. Why is tort reform not a major campaign item anymore?!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Agreed. Didn't think about that. Waiver it up!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If someone comes up with a good waiver form, post it up as I am contemplating this for the up coming season.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im sure a lawyer would probably find a way around the waiver... at the end the lawyers are the ones who win

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you can't waive neglect or intention, only accidental unintentional harm. Its like @SuperJetDan said, even a signed waiver doesn't let you run over somebody with zero liability. I can't sign away responsibility for my own stupidity.

But still, I've been reconsidering this whole topic and its not a bad idea to have some forms handy for those certain situations. I can't imagine asking everybody to sign a waiver before riding in my boat. But there are friends of friends and people who refuse to buy their own insurance and still want you to "let me do it". The form might be handy to protect me from their stupidity :rolleyes:

Last edited: