• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surf Shaper

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any one ever seen one of these? A local watersports store just put an ad on Facebook for it and I saw it. Looks pretty good on a dedicated wake boat, but I dont know how well it would do on a jet boat....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They told me they will have one in stock soon and they will let me test it out... Ill try to keep this updated.... I guess I better start looking for ballast....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what it looks like, I'm not 100 percent sure. Ronix seems the be the company that is producing them, I feel like it should be a quality product...

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From what I saw online last night, my guess is this is/was something that someone has made and was selling, but now Ronix has bought the rights (or is making a copy) of the same device? Here's a site I found (this must be the one @Julian is referring to above?): http://www.wakesurfshaper.com

There is something called a Wake Shaper, but it's a different type of device, basically a Surf Gate type device (http://wake-shaper.com)

Hopefully Ronix will get some more details out there soon, but really interested in what you find out @PaulyB!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Convergence system.......you will still have jet wash. Would be fun to try it on the boat though.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Easy enough to make one. Take a foam block, lay down some fiberglass mat on top and seal it up, sand it paint it and velcro it onto your boat. I guess for the cost of the mat and foam you can make all kinds of lengths too to see what changes.

wschmidt05

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately won't work on our boats. I already tried a delayed convergence system, and the jets cancel everything out. Bummer.

Best of luck if you try it out though.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you elaborate on how it cancels everything out? Did you try multiple ballast setups? Any pics or video?

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I tried delayed convergence on my previous Yamaha and ended up with the same independent results that @wschmidt05 did. Basically the way delayed convergence works is to axially (fore-aft direction) offset the wakes coming off the back of the boat, the wake shifted back on one side allows the wake nearer the boat to roll over the other one forming a single sided wave. On the twin engine jet boats the high pressure water from the jet pumps is at just the right height to prevent the nearer wake from rolling over the farther wake (the high pressure water acts like a wall) and forming the wave. When I played with it, you could visibly see the wake formation on the device side move aft away from the boat, but the 2 wakes couldn't interact until after the jet wash and by then it was wide enough it wouldn't form a wave.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

wschmidt05

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I imagine it would be the same for a single jet as well. The prop on a direct drive or v-drive is far enough below the waterline to not interfere with a delayed convergence system. The jets are too close to the surface. @trace, any thoughts here?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would have a better chance on a single jet engine boat but still hard to overcome the jet wash.

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with @wschmidt05 and @jcyamaharider , it is more likely to work with a single as opposed to a twin, but the jet wash pressure is still high, which is what is preventing the convergence even if the wake is delayed. On inboards the wakes come together and the prop rooster surfaces aft of that convergence which is why it works. If anybody with a single wanted to try it cheap, the guys over at malibu crew were doing something like the ronix version on the cheap before ronix. Parts to diy it are like $40. Here's the thread.
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57620-24-skateboard-ramp-wedge-yes-please/