• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

wakeskate VS wakesurf ?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello Forum.
I'm pretty new to anything other that tubing. My kids have only recently evolved to wakeboarding, and now with a boat capable of making a wake we're looking at our next sport option.

It's not really clear to me the difference between a wakesurf and a wakeskate. I see the difference in the boards and understand the surfing part. is a wake skate the same principal or do you always use the rope vs freestyle on a surf ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A wakeskate is ridden just like a wakeboard, but you have no bindings securing you to the board. Think of it as a skateboard on water.

I personally prefer the wakeskate due to having had both my knees wrecked from various different sports and subsequent operations. There is a slight learning curve with respect to keeping the board underfoot as you begin take-off, but that is usually resolved in a few attempts for someone who has wakeboarded.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oh, and if you attempt to get air on a wakeskate you either get launched or you have to reach down and grab the skate.

Me? I get launched!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is on the must try list this year!!! Wakeskating, not getting launched.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Somehow @buckbuck , I don't think your kiddo is going to get his feet back on that board in this run!!! LOL I love his expression though...and I really like the pics you put out. Someone in the family is a damn good photographer!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
which is gooder-er ?? I like the idea of ditchin the rope. it sounds like eith
A wakeskate is ridden just like a wakeboard, but you have no bindings securing you to the board. Think of it as a skateboard on water.

I personally prefer the wakeskate due to having had both my knees wrecked from various different sports and subsequent operations. There is a slight learning curve with respect to keeping the board underfoot as you begin take-off, but that is usually resolved in a few attempts for someone who has wakeboarded.

based on this and @buckbuck image, a wakeskate uses the entire area behind the boat, I'd guess at a speed <wakeboard speed. a wakesurf is simply surfing the wake...

For board designs, it appears that a wakeskate can be used to surf as well ??? no double-duty for the wakesurf.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@justason I have a wakeskate I will let you try. As others have said, it is the exact same thing as wakeboarding without bindings, like a skate board. I bought a cheap one a while back but no one really took to it. It is fun, I think, even though I can;t do crap on it but launch like the picture above, but heh, even that is fun.

We have a surfboard too and that is a blast. I do not have ballast other than crew weight. My girls are able to go ropeless on our small wave but I cannot. Still fun too though...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason I have a wakeskate I will let you try. As others have said, it is the exact same thing as wakeboarding without bindings, like a skate board. I bought a cheap one a while back but no one really took to it. It is fun, I think, even though I can;t do crap on it but launch like the picture above, but heh, even that is fun.

We have a surfboard too and that is a blast. I do not have ballast other than crew weight. My girls are able to go ropeless on our small wave but I cannot. Still fun too though...

this is great ! thanks ! I'm thinking we can swing a situation here, I have Ballast that we can put your girls. ...I've filled them once since I bought the boat :(... I'm leaning towards the surfing element but would like to check them out !

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wakeskate is so old school it's made of papyrus! And it's warped so going left is very easy...lol

But be careful, I get carried away sometimes launching over the wake and once I almost got carried away in an ambulance!
Hit so hard I thought I cracked a rib.

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, that wakeskating video makes it look Fuuuuuuuunnnn!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am going to leave both to you young un's! While I can probably still wakeboard and learn to wake skate...the wake surfing does look more my speed. At my age, recovery from a fall will be slow...and I AIN'T INTO PAIN anymore! lol But he sure makes it look easy @Glassman !

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wake skates are also good for learning surface tricks such as 180 and 360s since you're not connected if you catch an edge. They also slide better on the surface since they usually have smaller fins. It makes the fall much easier to handle.

You can find them on sale for under $100, making them a cheap boating toy that doesn't take up much storage, meaning there's o reason not to have one :). Just be sure to get a foam topped model if you plan to ride barefoot. Others with grip tape are for more serious riders that wear shoes.

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, because of this thread I just ordered a wakeskate and had its shipping expedited so as to get it before we head out on vacation with the boat to Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, AR. next week.

I can pop right up on wakeboards so hopefully I can get up on a skate. We will see!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kelso, you'll be fine. You will quickly learn how the forward momentum of the boat keeps the wakeskate on your feet before take-off. Just tell your driver to keep the line taught.
Once up, ride it like a surfboard/skateboard and you'll have a blast. I like to be closer to the boat so I can work what little outside wake it makes.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
thanks all, well We've had a chance to try wake skate and wake surf.......wake surf is the toy we'll be pursuing without a doubt.

so now the question: Size? does size matter?

my son is 18, about 150lbs and 5'10 my daughter at 15 is about 100lbs and 5'6" I see boards run in some stubby sizes, then in the upper 4' range and low 5' range........prices are a bit startling, I'm sure I'll buy online so hate to pick the brains of someone at west marine that isn't going to make a sale....So I ask the audience here for help please.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@justason What did you think about the wake skate? Is it worth picking one up for $99 somewhere just to mess around on?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason What did you think about the wake skate? Is it worth picking one up for $99 somewhere just to mess around on?
I personally did not use the wake-skate. (that's funny to even think about)....My daughter could not get up on it, someone told us to try again with water shoes or sneakers....that's this weekends task. that being said she did ride a wake-surf the other weekend and enjoyed it........ so that..combined with your awesome ropeless video made the alt decision for us....(invoice heading your way ;))..

so in short I don't think I could answer your question with any fairness.....$99 sounds reasonable ?!?!!?!?.. once proficient with the surf we'll try again