• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Want to get my upholstery redone... Suggestions?

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2005 Red AR230. I never liked the look of the upholstery compared to the 2006 models.

You can see in the attached file (sorta) the difference between mine (a 2005 on the right) and maboats (a 2006 on the left). While mine is very flat, his has some nice piping and a texture to the darker grey area...

Well, in addition to not really liking mine already, it's starting to get bad on the interior, a few tears, the threads are starting to come out, and some discoloration in a lot of places.

So now I'm weighing my options. Get someone to just fix it as is. Try and buy a set of 2006 replacements online, or get someone to custom redo the whole boat....

Has anyone been through this before? Any idea on what I'm looking at spending? I'm going to start pulling out the boat today and taking it around to get quotes, but was wondering what I should be looking for, or looking out for....

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jim, a number of guys have done interior upgrades and repairs. I have seen it priced all over the map. One thing for certain, if you remove and replace all the pieces, it is WAY cheaper! But take it to them to see, get your quotes, and then go home and peel off every backrest and seat cushion, then drop them off for new padding and covers or just covers, many options here. I will look into my records. I had an upholstery shop I talked to about canvas (they did that too) about 4 years ago. I may still have that to give you the name.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Browns boat repair .com
Located in Mesquite. Close to the Mesquite rodeo and convention center.
They do everything from simple cosmetic repairs to full restorations. They just fixed my trailer after a tire came apart on me last summer and tore up the fender. Very good work and reasonable cost.
He's there till noon on Saturday and normal hours during the week. Tell him I sent you.
Terry Brown is the owner
mobile:9723293639

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny thing is I've been considering the same thing. Small rips here and there, thread starting to fall apart in several places, etc. Would love to hear what you find out.

Also look how much lower you boat sits in the water! I wonder if you had loaded fat sacs that day?

Christy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if the lady that does upholstery for the Fast N Loud show could do it. Here's the link to her company. It does list boats on her site as a project she does.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had two different cushions tear right at the seam at the ribs. Took them into a local upholstery shop that makes boat cushions and covers. They removed the material, stretched it and double sewn it. They look like new. One cost $50 and the other $35.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if the lady that does upholstery for the Fast N Loud show could do it. Here's the link to her company. It does list boats on her site as a project she does.
That would be cool. Although I suspect any of those places that get on TV get over priced and over worked rather quickly...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What is the name of that show that Chip Foose did a car and gave it to a deserving guy? That is what we need, a shop to take your boat and redo it! Overhaulin'!

Need a "modifyin'"!

Christy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That would be cool. Although I suspect any of those places that get on TV get over priced and over worked rather quickly...
Maybe...I guess it doesn't hurt to call and check. Although, I'm sure you're going to have to haul the boat around to each place to get a quote.

BTW, here's another place I found through Craigslist: http://www.poseidonboatrestoration.com/

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but any place that says "boats" gets overpriced too ;)

I believe that Brown's boat repair (mentioned earlier) does good work. He has many good references. I've been in his shop and I think he does more upholstery work than fiberglass work. That said, I also think he's pricey - in general. I haven't received any upholstery quotes from him to compare. But he was definitely on the high end for fiberglass and detailing.

Chris Tronzano

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a lady in Gordonville at Lake Texoma name Ann her company is call picky Stitch Canvas. She did all of the upholstery for valiant sailboats when they were still being built. She has done canvas work twice for me and I've been happy both times.

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Funny thing is I've been considering the same thing. Small rips here and there, thread starting to fall apart in several places, etc.
@maboat How serious are you about getting your done? Wonder if we could barter a better deal with 2 boats getting done... Especially if we agree on materials, colors, pattern, etc...

I've already got everything ripped out of the boat and ready to go!!!

At the very least, if you happen to have the cover off of your boat anytime soon, can you grab me some interior pics of your upholstery?

Attachments

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@maboat How serious are you about getting your done? Wonder if we could barter a better deal with 2 boats getting done... Especially if we agree on materials, colors, pattern, etc...

I've already got everything ripped out of the boat and ready to go!!!

At the very least, if you happen to have the cover off of your boat anytime soon, can you grab me some interior pics of your upholstery?
@Detonate I'm serious enough to work a deal. Overall, mine is not too bad. I could go either way as far as just repairing a few cushions to match the others, OR redo the whole thing for a cool new pattern. But I really have no idea what $$$$ ballpark we're talking to do the whole boat.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may need to borrow your munchkin to get some of those cushions off!

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Didn't Josh just do his whole boat for like $2,500? Not an Apples to Apples comparison... But for me, that is what I'm using as my baseline.

And really, I kinda already like the pattern in your boat, so if you wanted to do a repair, and may make it easy for them to copy your materials/patterns to do mine.

Going to start calling around this week, and taking my cushions by some of the local shops. I'll let you know what I hear.

They cushions aren't as hard to take off as you might think. Only 2 screws each on the largest back cushions.

Hardest ones were the ones over the engine, only because I had to dig through foam to get to the nuts...

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Alligator skin. Or maybe Ostrich.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't Josh just do his whole boat for like $2,500? Not an Apples to Apples comparison... But for me, that is what I'm using as my baseline.
Seems logical. But I know zero about upholstery. Josh's stuff is all straight lines and square corners. I was worried that our "shapely seats" would be a lot more labor. Hopefully you're right.

Detonate said:
And really, I kinda already like the pattern in your boat, so if you wanted to do a repair, and may make it easy for them to copy your materials/patterns to do mine.
That works for me. Most of my cushions are still good, just a few that need repair. My only concern for repairing vs replacing is to get the colors (especially white) to match. I'll try to snap you a few pics this week.

Detonate said:
They cushions aren't as hard to take off as you might think. Only 2 screws each on the largest back cushions....
Only two screws, but aren't they a real b!tch to get at? Kinda like getting in to tighten the side cleats.

DoubleTrouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've used The Upholstery Shop in Lewisville for my bimini and mooring cover. I know they told me they can do the rest as well. Might be worth a call at least.