• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet slip awesome, grimy ring already not so awesome

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was worried about that too. Mine hasn't needed patching at all. I asked them about this, and they said that the majority of patching that is needed is due to:

1. improperly securing the airdock and allowing it to rub against the dock (I am careful to tie mine so it is clear, and have lots of fenders)
  2. Rodents (like muskrats) making nests on them in the winter - when people leave the lift in the water.
Item #2 did have me wondering how I was going to handle it in the winter. They recommend pulling it out if you get solid freezes of the water. Our docks have never frozen solid as they move too much and have too much wave action. But this is something everyone should consider. I don't think air docks are a good option for up north unless you plan to pull the dock out (and they are unwieldy)

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was worried about that too. Mine hasn't needed patching at all. I asked them about this, and they said that the majority of patching that is needed is due to:

1. improperly securing the airdock and allowing it to rub against the dock (I am careful to tie mine so it is clear, and have lots of fenders)
  2. Rodents (like muskrats) making nests on them in the winter - when people leave the lift in the water.
Item #2 did have me wondering how I was going to handle it in the winter. They recommend pulling it out if you get solid freezes of the water. Our docks have never frozen solid as they move too much and have too much wave action. But this is something everyone should consider. I don't think air docks are a good option for up north unless you plan to pull the dock out (and they are unwieldy)
That is a good point I did not think about the freezing deal. We have some friends that had muskrats chew up some engine wires this year they can do some damge

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is for this reason that I invested in a lift..... here is my boat after a few months in a NC Lake....and the dirty side has already been power washed!

View attachment 22799
How long did it take to get that clean. I pulled mine yesterday and the pressure washer did nothing I had to scrub. I'm getting it waxed again this week to try to help. This slip is just so convenient but I don't know if I can clean it and keep it up all summer. I really need a lift bad

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How long did it take to get that clean. I pulled mine yesterday and the pressure washer did nothing I had to scrub. I'm getting it waxed again this week to try to help. This slip is just so convenient but I don't know if I can clean it and keep it up all summer. I really need a lift bad
Took me hours to clean....with Muriatic acid....works pretty easily, but hard to get to all the lower parts of the hull. Then I began paying the marina to do it as I wanted the whole bottom clean (they use a sling lift).....and I got tired of doing it myself!!!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No one mentions buying a used lift. You can pick them up pretty cheap. For $2k, you should easily be able to get a used Hydro Hoist. I looked at the air dock and almost bought one, but many marinas won't allow them.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Took me hours to clean....with Muriatic acid....works pretty easily, but hard to get to all the lower parts of the hull. Then I began paying the marina to do it as I wanted the whole bottom clean (they use a sling lift).....and I got tired of doing it myself!!!
No one mentions buying a used lift. You can pick them up pretty cheap. For $2k, you should easily be able to get a used Hydro Hoist. I looked at the air dock and almost bought one, but many marinas won't allow them.
I ha e been looking for some used also that will probably be the way I go next summer

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a suggestion if you plan on keeping the boat in the water for an entire boating season, paint the bottom. That of course requires work in itself at the beginning of each season, but at least it won't require the elbow grease and time of getting the grime off.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a suggestion if you plan on keeping the boat in the water for an entire boating season, paint the bottom. That of course requires work in itself at the beginning of each season, but at least it won't require the elbow grease and time of getting the grime off.
I'm gonna get a lift next summer I'm just gonna have to clean it out every couple weeks. I'd love to fet it painted grey all the way down some day but that would probably be very expensive to have it done really well

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm just in a lake but I have seen a few in wet slips on the Ohio and can't imagine how bad the bottoms get. They were all black boats though

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I planned on keeping my boat in the water when I first got it and after thinking about it, decided to just trailer where I wanted to go. The bottom getting fouled up wasn't the issue for me, but a loss of performance due to barnacles getting in my jet drives and pumps was my main concern.

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was considering dry storage at a place with valet service. Seems like a pretty good compromise. All the marina needs is one hour notice and and they'll drop your boat in a slip and have it waiting for you, then dry dock it again when you're done for the day. You have a place like that around you? Around here, those places are only about $20 more a month than an enclosed dry stall.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guys on some other boating forums swear by janitorial strength toilet bowl cleaner in a spray bottle to get the bottom clean. Just be sure to get your trailer good and wet first and then rinse thoroughly.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup.... Sno-Bowl rocks for bottom cleaning. It's the mild acid that works.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was considering dry storage at a place with valet service. Seems like a pretty good compromise. All the marina needs is one hour notice and and they'll drop your boat in a slip and have it waiting for you, then dry dock it again when you're done for the day. You have a place like that around you? Around here, those places are only about $20 more a month than an enclosed dry stall.
No we don't there is one on the Ohio river but we stay to the lakes