• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What anchor is everyone using?

tweeter1148

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this is probably best to death but I was wondering what anchor everyone was using for lakes and rivers?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20 lbs Navy anchor. With 6ft of stainless chain.

It's not light.

It holds!!!!! And it's compact.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am using a Fortress Guardian G-5. It's only 3lb so a bit on the light size. I used to use it with my old 16ft boat but seems to hold ok with 19 also.

A lot of guys swear by the Fortress stuff and I can say they are well built for sure. Needs a small trim to fit in anchor locker though.

I also use an anchor buddy line which probably helps with the fact it is very lightweight.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Navy anchor. Drop it and forget it. No tricks or special setup, it just holds. Stills fits in the anchor locker.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
WARNING: DIRTY BOAT PIC. TO FOLLOW
My 07 AR230 came with this crappy SeaChoise anchor. It would drag and not hook all the time, causing me to be on alert whenever we were anchored around others, even with 6' of chain.
20180413_123152.jpg
We bought the 8# danforth style galv. fluke anchor at West Marine to use at the bow and relegate the SeaChoise to stern duty. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2760160712278759195?hl=en-VI&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwqsHWBRDsARIsALPWMEOjZ71juUrtDHleFdAVVW3-iU1bKmvk-x9Fg7wKFLPYtB8TMZNQL-gaAmQ5EALw_wcB&output=search&noj=1&lsf=seller:2709845,store:4155029098807984441&q=west+marine+anchors&btnG=&oq=&prds=oid:2870612068612591919&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF_7qh9LfaAhXuwVkKHWqQDngQ8wIISA The anchor works very well for what we ask of it and has not dragged yet, in two seasons of use. Its still not one I would feel comfortable setting and then sleeping for the night, but we do not do that with the Yamaha. I did have to modify the stock of the anchor to fit into the locker by cutting 1 3/4" off each end of the stock. Comes 18 1/2" but only 15" fit in locker. Length below plus saw kerf.20180413_151329.jpg I also padded the locker so it does not move around using a small piece of 1/2" thick "cow mat". Like I said above, it has not dragged yet.
20180413_122859.jpg
I adhered the mat to the bulkhead and the anchor rests on it.
20180413_122915.jpg
Disclaimer: just because I did it...I dont recommend modifying anchors.

Last edited:

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For people with box anchors, how are you stowing it when not in use?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use Yamaha "deluxe" fluke anchor and a small box anchor. I stow my box anchor in its bag and keep it in the rear storage compartment under the seat. The fluke stays in the bow in the anchor locker.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cheap Danforth anchor with 6ft chain. Sandy bottom, catches all the time and holds fine

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Box Anchor and store it under the passenger front seat. I have rope coming up from underneath seat flowing in to the anchor locker. I have rope tied off in anchor locker. Easy access and works great! I use the slide anchor shore spike for the rear. The boat don't budge when there in place. Good luck as you have a ton of anchor choices.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
25 lbs Navy anchor. W/some 10ft of chain. No issues holding, lol.

--

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mainly used a 25 lb Richter anchor. Worked just about everywhere I tried it, whatever the waterway or bottom type. Just toss it over the side, pay out some scope, no drama. Much of the time I could have used a smaller Richter... but I believe in using more than enough anchor.

I also had a 17 lb fluke-type anchor from West Marine with 20 ft of chain for more secure anchoring in heavier conditions on Lake Michigan. That one took more effort to set, but held very well in sandy bottom conditions and rougher water.

Whenever I anchored, I used my GPS "anchor drag alarm." Almost never needed it, but provided great peace of mind.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For people with box anchors, how are you stowing it when not in use?
I put mine under the starboard side bow seat....I don't bother folding it, and the rope loops out to the rope storage in the anchor locker....super simple. I keep a fluke style anchor in the anchor locker bracket as a backup anchor (or the anchor I use when I don't know what the bottom is like and don't want to lose my box anchor....like in bimini!!!)

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Danforth S 600 with 4' - 1/4" chain. Mainly chose because it fits the anchor locker.
For less scope, the richter works well. We also carry a 15# mushroom for the stern

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
25# Richter, stored under the port side bow seat.

But I just took some measurements and I think I'm about to trim the opening of the anchor locker so it will fit in there.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had anchor trouble since day 1. The anchor that came with mt 17 AR195 just would never hold in the front. It often came loose in the soft gulf sand or if I was in the bay, I could rarely get it to hold initially in the mucky bottom. This winter for christmas my wife went to the dealer and got a similar style anchor for but a larger boat, so it is a big bigger and heavier. Hopefully it works better. Going out this weekend and will try it out.

anyone have a certain anchor that works well in sandy bottoms like the gulf?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fortress FX-7 here with 10' 5/16" SS rode chain, set it and forget it! It's light and holds every time!

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have had anchor trouble since day 1. The anchor that came with mt 17 AR195 just would never hold in the front. It often came loose in the soft gulf sand or if I was in the bay, I could rarely get it to hold initially in the mucky bottom. This winter for christmas my wife went to the dealer and got a similar style anchor for but a larger boat, so it is a big bigger and heavier. Hopefully it works better. Going out this weekend and will try it out.

anyone have a certain anchor that works well in sandy bottoms like the gulf?
How did it work for you?
I had the same issues with the default danforth anchor. Couldn’t get it to hold no matter what I did. Even adding chain. Tried using 6-7x depth to lead as they recommended. Backing up to get it to catch.
This year I picked up a Chene and it’s like night day. It digs right in, doesn’t need a chain and only requires 2:1 lead. Also I can squeeze it into my anchor locker (also AR195).

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We used this RICHTER anchor all over the waters in and around Tampa and Sarasota for our SX190, lots of time at Egmont key and the strong currents there. As a matter of fact it's the only thing that we did not let go when we sold the boat...Boat never budged on use and more importantly its easy to deploy and retract. Only draw back is it had to be stowed in the bow storage area and heavier. Had 50 ft of 1/2 inch anchor rope with 6' of anchor chain.