• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What fuel are you running?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got my monthly tow boat magazine and they are talking about in 2017 making the standard e15 instead of 10. I still put standard 87 in my boat but most ppl here go ethanol free. They also said in the magazine this will cause all the boaters to be forced to use ethanol free fuels and they will run dry. What are you running? So far I've had no problems but maybe I've been lucky.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At home I have ethanol free available so that is what I use. When I am traveling I use E10 when that is what is available. I would try to avoid any higher concentrations of ethanol. The initial concern is that it could harm non metal parts that were not designed for so much ethanol. The longer term concern is that the ethanol is more likely to gum things up if you leave it sitting so you will want to use more or a stronger fuel conditioner.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always used e10 87 but also put some additive either seafoam, Lucas, or stabl religiously. Do you notice any performance difference using ethanol free?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've always used e10 87 but also put some additive either seafoam, Lucas, or stabl religiously. Do you notice any performance difference using ethanol free?
I do not notice any difference in the way she runs. It is simply a preference to avoid the complication. My biggest concern with ethanol is that I would not want to leave a tank full of ethanol sitting over the winter.

yamahaar230honewb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've always filled up using E10 87, However if there were another option close by that were 100 gas, I would choose that one.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I asked my neighbor where he fills up and he goes to the fuel docks. No way am I paying an extra 1.50 a gallon when I live a mile from a gas station on my way to the ramp

DonR.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Utah, regular unleaded is 85 octane. I use 87, but wonder if it would be OK to use 85.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On the water its all 91 octane ethanol free, so that is all I use. If I fill up on the trailer, I look for 91 ethanol free gas.

DonR.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The owners manual lists 87 octane fuel. I had a friend who had an older outboard motor and had to rebuild the motor. The mechanic told him that it was due to running too high of octane fuel. Since then, I have used 87 octane fuel on my AR230 and my PWC's.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use 87 octane with Ethanol throughout the boating season. I store the boat with 91 octane Ethanol free for the winter. No issues to date. Knock on wood.

DonR.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That makes sense, as the octane level would drop over the winter.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
10% ethanol is about a 3% Btu pergallon loss. 15 would = 4.5, that would start to become noticable to the calibrated butt dynno.

Ethanol 76k btu/gal
Gasoline 114k btu/gal

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That makes sense, as the octane level would drop over the winter.
I don't understand...It's the E10 that drops in octane due to water absorption and phase separation. With E0 that shouldn't be an issue.