• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

? What type of seal for engine compartment noise reduction?

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m finally ready to tackle noise reduction and thought I saw a post with a specific weather trip recommended for the engine compartment that would not interfere with it closing properly, but I can’t find it now. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best weather strip product to seal the engine hatch to reduce noise? Thanks in advance!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I’m finally ready to tackle noise reduction and thought I saw a post with a specific weather trip recommended for the engine compartment that would not interfere with it closing properly, but I can’t find it now. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best weather strip product to seal the engine hatch to reduce noise? Thanks in advance!
search YT for Jeff's Jetboat he has video on pipe insulation.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski posted about good results with a garage door gasket.

I’ve had the same one sitting in my garage for a year and haven’t put it on so can’t comment on how well it works.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski posted about good results with a garage door gasket.

I’ve had the same one sitting in my garage for a year and haven’t put it on so can’t comment on how well it works.
Man. I hear you. I started and only did like 3 feet. Got busy and never finished it

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Has anyone tried the above method of pipe insulation on the 19’ boats and had good success?

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I started with pipe insulation and it worked well for the first season but compressed and didn’t decompress during the first off season. I ended up replacing it with “D” shaped 5/5” x 3/8” (20seal from McMaster Carr. I don’t recall the thickness but glad I went with the 3m adhesive backed variant.

574DE7BE-DAA2-41C0-8439-56E3873608F8.png

D7719501-87B7-423B-BF25-06E71A988288.png

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Has anyone tried the above method of pipe insulation on the 19’ boats and had good success?
I will probably pick up the insulation this weekend. Don't know if I'll have time to install it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I started with pipe insulation and it worked well for the first season but compressed and didn’t decompress during the first off season. I ended up replacing it with “D” shaped 5/5” x 3/8” (20seal from McMaster Carr. I don’t recall the thickness but glad I went with the 3m adhesive backed variant.

View attachment 177232

View attachment 177237
Can you find the invoice for what you bought? Going to put this on my list of to dos, and want to get the best width and weight. I can see this stuff working FAR better than pipe insulation - that approach seems like using the wrong material just because it was laying around. The foam needs to be strong and bounce back, pipe insulation crushes to easily.

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used the garage door seal and the 3M 90 adhesive releases from it they are not compatible

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used the garage door seal and the 3M 90 adhesive releases from it they are not compatible
Did you find anything else that worked?

I bought weatherstrip adhesive that I haven’t tried yet. Hopefully that will stick to it.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
when i used the 3m 90 I sprayed both surfaces separate let them tack up then placed sections in. Every part that releases 100% of the 3m is stuck on the gel coat nothing on the door seal. Maybe it has some type of release agent so the gasket doesnt stick to the garage floor. Its on but not good and needs repeated applications

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you find the invoice for what you bought? Going to put this on my list of to dos, and want to get the best width and weight. I can see this stuff working FAR better than pipe insulation - that approach seems like using the wrong material just because it was laying around. The foam needs to be strong and bounce back, pipe insulation crushes to easily.
No way on the invoice but according to my original post on the subject I got 5/8” x 5/8” material and 3m (good stuff) backing. The thickeness you go with will depend on the distance to the bottom of the engine hatch, mine has a lot of aftermarket insulation on it so i must have gone thinner. Using pipe insulation as a guide is not a bad idea. Buy different sizes and see which will be tight but still allow you to close the compartment. For as little as it cost me it had lasted a long time, over 5 years and counting.

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

View attachment 177232

View attachment 177237
Awesome, that looks like the way to go