• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

? What type of seal for engine compartment noise reduction?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t mean to hijack this thread- but similar topic. Seems to me the entire space under the transom Swimdeck is one big sound resonator. Has anyone experimented with a way to deaden that area ? Say 50 pool noodles or something??

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t mean to hijack this thread- but similar topic. Seems to me the entire space under the transom Swimdeck is one big sound resonator. Has anyone experimented with a way to deaden that area ? Say 50 pool noodles or something??
I added Kilmat 80 mil to the underside of the swimdeck, back side of the engine compartment and the underside of the cleanout tray and it helped quite a bit on my FSH. I want to also wrap the waterboxes but will probably wait until YES runs up to prevent any potential claim issues.[/QUOTE]

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m finally ready to tackle noise reduction and thought I saw a post with a specific weather trip recommended for the engine compartment that would not interfere with it closing properly, but I can’t find it now. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best weather strip product to seal the engine hatch to reduce noise? Thanks in advance!
I have used A/C insulation tubing that has an adhesive edge. Easy to cut and install. I have 10 thumbs 🤣🤣 and it was easy. Reduced some of the engine noise and looks clean.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I was at Lake Powell last year and we made some 1.5 hour runs do different places I had these in abundance. I wear these when I ride my dirt bike as well. They work great on the boat for reducing the wind noise which to me is most of the noise at speed. They are super easy to put in your ear, and just put them in your pants or shirt pocket when not in use.. been using these ear plugs for a couple of decades..29Db reduction in noise. And they are literally pennies.

0562D564-403A-471A-A66E-BBB7ABDDD01A.jpeg

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was at Lake Powell last year and we made some 1.5 hour runs do different places I had these in abundance. I wear these when I ride my dirt bike as well. They work great on the boat for reducing the wind noise which to me is most of the noise at speed. They are super easy to put in your ear, and just put them in your pants or shirt pocket when not in use.. been using these ear plugs for a couple of decades..29Db reduction in noise. And they are literally pennies.

View attachment 183699
Saw a post somewhere stating that they can also be successfully used in the coolant discharge ports to keep nesting type critters out during storage. Any reason that wouldn't work?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I started with pipe insulation and it worked well for the first season but compressed and didn’t decompress during the first off season. I ended up replacing it with “D” shaped 5/5” x 3/8” (20seal from McMaster Carr. I don’t recall the thickness but glad I went with the 3m adhesive backed variant.

View attachment 177232

View attachment 177237
Did you remove the original and installed this?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you remove the original and installed this?
Yes, I started with pipe insulation from Home Depot but replaced that with D seal from harbor freight/.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Yes, I started with pipe insulation from Home Depot but replaced that with D seal from harbor freight/.
My apology, I should have asked if you removed the factory seal before applying the "D" style?

dvrice

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2021 SX190 and started my sound improvement work. I temporarily removed the factory foam on underside of engine compartment lid, applied 80 mil kilmat, then reinstalled the factory foam on top of the kilmat with 3M adhesive. My 2021 already had a factory D type seal on the bottom surface the lid mates to. This seal didn't seam very thick or compressible, so I installed some Home Depot weather stripping to the undersize of the lid that will mate to the factory D seal and hopefully get some good compression. I am going to adjust my lid latch so that I have to press fairly firm to get the lid latch to work (to achieve a good compressed seal of this compartment). Looking forward to taking the boat out and see if this is a noticeable improvement.

My next potential addition is using the remaining kilmat I have left over in the lower portion of the engine compartment. Probably do the side toward teh front of the boat first (keep sound going back not toward the front). This looks to be more of a pain because of all the wiring and such to work around installing the kilmat. Anyone else put the kilmat in this location and know if it is worth the effort?

Thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m redoing my seals after having new upholstery skins made for the entire boat. This is what showed up today from McMaster Carr, I only ordered it yesterday. Nice but the delivery fee of $17 was a I it one third the total cost of the order. The smaller coil of material is for the head compartment door. Mine is loose and resulting vibration and rattling bothers me. 3F7E823F-0A64-42A7-841B-59DAA33D2136.jpeg7BC7E10F-C6D6-4CFE-9F31-A3BC681B0239.jpeg

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the pipe insulation and some acoustic sheeting on the engine door. After 90 min of fast and slow, I was going fast and got Check Engine and Engine Overheat alert. Ended up getting a tow back to the ramp. Cool day in Florida even. I'm at a loss. Gave up for the day. Troubleshoot more tomorrow. By the way, it was quieter but not a huge decrease in noise. Lower RPMs quieter than higher.

IMG_8967.jpeg
IMG_8969.jpeg
IMG_8971.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did this:

Qualitatively it has helped. Quantitatively my science is poor. After doing it, the sound level at the seat above the batteries is ~70 db @ 5k rpm. Before, I think, it was ~80 db, but I didn’t write that one down.

I would run the insulation along the vertical part I skipped. I’ve added it to the lower ~4” where I had fiberglass rubbing.
A halving of perceived sound level is 3DB, so a reduction of 10 is significant! A normal conversation is 65DB.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length