• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What Would You Do?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Esteemed members, I am in a bit of a quandary here, so I am curious what the collective brain-trust would do.

First off, I did not build and use the DIY steering cable luber in time to save my 2013 242 LS cables (boat used in salt-water exclusively). I am pretty sure my steering cables are shot, but after 5-seasons, I am happy to report they lasted this long, based on my vigilance with rinsing, saltaway and boeshield.

My steering exhibits all the signs reported on this forum. Rubbing, binding ... a good bit of energy to turn the wheel. I have full movement of the steering wheel ... just tough to turn.

So my question for the “collective”. Family is arriving tomorrow for the long weekend ...

WOULD YOU:

1-punt on all boating planned for this weekend and wait until the new cables arrive and the repair can be safely completed.

OR WOULD YOU:

2-do some small trips as planned (< 5 mile floats, docking on the beach etc.) and generally low speed putzing around looking at coastal shorelines.

Not to bias the results of your feedback. But I am leaning towards #2 above, which is not completely smart/safe, but I am a very conservative wrt speed and the routes planned are pretty tame. Also the steering, although “tight” is fully articulating the buckets and seems to be loosening up as I have done some heavy lubrication on the cable and related pinch points.

Your future replies and feedback is appreciated.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As long as you think the cables won't bind up completely while you're out using the boat then I'd say go with your #2 plan. Think of it as an upper body workout with a great view.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@PEARCE thanks for your reply. “Bind up completely” ... hits the nail on the head ... that’s my fear.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would roll the dice. Maybe drop some extra lube in if you can. Maybe get a boat towing coverage just in case.

This is assuming that a replacement this week isnt possible. If you could do it by the end of saturday... thats probably what i woukd try to do.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @BlkGS ... a repair before my company's arrival is not possible (tomorrow). I've put some penetrating oil and lube on to try to loosen this up overnight.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely, positively go option number 2. As long as you are able to move the steering without it requiring some ridiculous effort, the cable are very unlikely to suddenly seize or snap.
IMO of course, but there is no question I would enjoy the weekend and do the cables when you have few days at your disposal.

And just out of abundance of caution, there is a thread by @Bruce somewhere discussing emergency steering handling in a case of a broken steering cable, I'll try to look for it, there are some good tips, just in case.
(no, they do not involve a paddle, or a swim to the shore, lol)

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#2; but your caution is a noble trait. I see a “pass through” socket in your future.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#2. But I would lube the hell outta the cables that are on it. Lube both ends.. te water side and the side begins the steering wheel. Lube , turn wheel, repeat! It will likely loosen up for a short time but enough to get your weekend done!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No way I would stay. Cables Friday or Monday. The rusting process is long and slow. If the steering wheel turns end to end without undue effort (no binding just a little more muscle required) I would definitely not lose a boating weekend over it. I have snapped a cable before, it was a reverse/gate control cable. There was a LOT of force involved. No way the steering cable snaps while it functions reasonably well, even with some effort.

It's ultimately up to you of course, but I would absolutely not skip the weekend for it.

Edit: I mean a gate control cable, that's what I snapped before.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with #2. Your cables won't seize up in the water as the water acts as a lubricant. They will seize while not in use for several days on the trailer if you don't exercise them daily. If you can drip some lubricant down the cables from behind the helm or force some up the cables from the stern end it will make your holiday weekend much more enjoyable. Have fun, be safe.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go.

I also would lubricate the ends of the cables before going to see if it makes any difference.

Change the shift cables when you change the steering cables. Then she will feel like a new boat!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @Beachbummer, @Gym and @Bruce ... headed to Walmart and Homedepot for the tools needed for a stop-gap DIY Cable Luber lubrication attempt this morning and for the "pass through" socket for the post boating weekend cable(s) replacement. After the Tribal Console has spoken, my boating weekend is back on! Also validated that my SeaTow membership is active ...

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All here is what the steering looks like behind the helm. Loosened up some and moving lock to lock. Any sounds or movement concerns from your perspectives?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you count the number of turns it takes to remove each nut from the end of each steering cable. WRITE IT DOWN. Replace the nuts on each cable with the correct number of turns. This will insure your nozzles will be in the correct position when done.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All here is what the steering looks like behind the helm. Loosened up some and moving lock to lock. Any sounds or movement concerns from your perspectives?
Did you intend to post a video? I do not see it.