• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where to install fuse block

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have one of these - 12 circuit fuse block

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5032/ST_Blade_Split_Bus_Fuse_Block

I have a 242 X, any opinions on where the best place to mount the block? I was thinking about the starboard stern storage. On the wall of the storage compartment that separates the cockpit and the storage area seems really thin, I don't want to poke a hole there......

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
which position would you recommend if you only had one? The helm area seems like a good idea.

Dumb question, once you run the positive and negative cables from the fuse block to the batteries, you can then wire things like bilge alarms, fishfinder etc correct?

When a small electronic device has a positive and negative connection, you can route those to the fuse block and then use the proper fuse to protect the circuit correct?

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
which position would you recommend if you only had one? The helm area seems like a good idea.

Dumb question, once you run the positive and negative cables from the fuse block to the batteries, you can then wire things like bilge alarms, fishfinder etc correct?

When a small electronic device has a positive and negative connection, you can route those to the fuse block and then use the proper fuse to protect the circuit correct?
I ran mine under the helm as well and yes, you are correct. Once you hook up the fuse box you can then use it to power chartlplotter, radio, lights, etc. Here is a photo of where I mounted mine. I also installed a cut off switch on the positive cable in the battery compartment that I can cut on and off when not in use like the battery switches to prevent any unnecessary drain on the battery. IMG_4528.JPGIMG_4649.PNG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would say you are more likely to install things at the helm than anywhere else. But think about what you want to install and where you would install it, and decide based off that. Things I will/might or have installed include:
  1. GPS
  2. Fume detector
  3. USB charge plugs(2) - one on each side of boat
  4. bilge alarm
  5. LED lights
  6. Marine radio
  7. Spotlight
  8. ?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too have one in the helm and one in the battery compartment.

Helm: Combo USB/12V outlet on SB side, PerfectPass
Battery Compartment: Underwater LED Light, Interior LED lights w/ RGB Controller and Dimmer, High Water Alarm, USB Charger on Port Side, Helm Fuse box (to get protection near the battery)

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For the helm are you guys running 4 awg for both neg and pos? It's quite long, I was going to run a string of some sort to get the length....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I did. I use the fuse block to fuse entire circuits with a breaker at the switch for each connected item. My six circuits from the fuse panel are the 20 amp factory house circuit, my secondary 20 amp house switch panel, the 5 amp fridge, a 25 amp inflator and two 24 amp amplifiers.

IMG_2576.JPG

Hike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm installing an amp that requires a100 amp circuit (Kenwood M8005, 1500watts) If I install a blue sea fuse block, would it be able to handle this or should I route directly to the battery? T

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm installing an amp that requires a100 amp circuit (Kenwood M8005, 1500watts) If I install a blue sea fuse block, would it be able to handle this or should I route directly to the battery? T
You should definitely use a fuse block from what I've read. I am using this one, which is available for about 25 bucks on eBay or a little more on Amazon and it supports 100A.

ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

EDIT-Looks like that only supports 30A per circuit. I don't see a Blue Sea block that supports 100A per circuit but you could use this instead if you are only installing the amp.

Amazon.com: ANJOSHI 150A Fuse Holders Inline Circuit Breaker for Car Audio and Amps Overload Protection Reset Fuse Inverter 12V-24V DC Replace Fuses: Gateway

Last edited:

Hike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That fuse breaker looks like a good idea, Thanks.

Any suggestions on a deep cycle battery? My starting battery is lead acid. I'm thinking of the Blue Sea add a battery kit with an ACR. Would I be ok with another group 24 lead battery or should I go AGM?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you're going with high powered audio, I would definitely add a second battery. Mine came with two stock so I'm not familiar with the options but I have two AC Delco marine batteries and they've held up well for 6 years (watch now one will go bad after I said that).

Hike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that a lead or AGM battery?

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dumb question as I am getting ready to add Sea Blue fuse block and amp. I will be hooking amp to its own wire 4 awg and the fuse block with own wiring 4 awg. No for the dumb question, I have 1 fuse for the amp that connects at the battery, came with the amp kit, do i need another fuse for the fuse block like the one used for the amp.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most people use a circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible then run the wire to the fuse block.