• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which model Yamaha Jet Boat is the best for Surfing?

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@SCP1 that is my thoughts exactly! Probably go with the 240 tho.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@007 @jcyamaharider The willamette river in that stretch is pretty narrow. Jerry...you've seen it...you think that's why I'm able to get such a killer wake with just ballast??

No, Trace had the EXACT same setup you do and I thought he had trouble getting a clean wave like yours. His was a 212SS but it is the exact same hull.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think this thread was created just to get members stirring. The OP hasn't logged back in since the posting (2 weeks ago) :facepalm:

Makes for good conversation at least.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was buying a Yamaha right now I would go with the AR240 as I think the 212x is too close in price. However I am reluctant to go that big. I can easily tow it, I'm just not certain I want/need that big of boat.
I hemmed and hawed over the 212X v.s. the Ar240 for a while. . . . .But ultimately once I saw the 240 dockside after the initial launch I knew I made the right choice. It's a scientific fact that boats shrink in the water. . . . . = )

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMHO, the 212x has an awesome wakeboard wake for a jet boat. But I am retire from that activity now!

If I was buying a Yamaha right now I would go with the AR240 as I think the 212x is too close in price. However I am reluctant to go that big. I can easily tow it, I'm just not certain I want/need that big of boat.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
IMHO, the 212x has an awesome wakeboard wake for a jet boat. But I am retire from that activity now!
Retired until the water warms up a bit. I get it.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got my dry suit ready too, 007.
Here is Danny clowning around a couple years ago.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello everyone, new member here. I know this thread is old and may not even be active any longer so please excuse me if I am not going about this correctly. I'm curious why nobody is mentioning the Yamaha 212x or 242x. I only saw 1 reference to it. We are in the market for a new boat and have been considering those 2 models, but now I am a little concerned their ballast systems may not be adequate for surfing. We do not need a professional wake boat but I think my kids would enjoy surfing along with wake boarding, tubing, etc. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you in advance.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are right, they need more weight. An extra 750 bag for the 212x and an extra 750 bag and a 400 bag for the 242x. Of course add the Wake Wedge.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
242XE would surf better IMHO. . . . .with Ballast added. @Julian saw them both first hand (and owns a 242) and will surely add value by chiming in.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not really , I have been on all of these boats.......

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I honestly don't see a lot of difference between the 212X and the 242X in terms of wake size for surfing. If my knee would quit acting up I'd be surfing more (I twisted it and found it much easier to twist on a surf board than wake boarding....so I've been wake boarding more lately).

Both boats really improve their wakes with more weight than stock, and a wake wedge. For lighter riders they are both surfable...especially if you invite lots of ballast/friends out with you!

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, you're saying Julian adds no value. . . .?

; )
LOL..... No I mean the comment the 242X surfs better then the 212X. The wake size on both boats are about the same, it just takes more weight for the 242X to make the same size wake as the 212X. The reason why is apparent.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both boats really improve their wakes with more weight than stock,
This is just like many manufacturers...I think they limit their "Stock" ballast due to legal/weight limitation issues. Yamaha choses to make the room available for functional boating uses, not for more ballast. But the seats and swim deck are easy to put a bag on top of, and that is what a lot of use do.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I surf all the time with just the port factory bag filled. Extra weight would make the wave better but I am content with just the factory set up...oh, plus the Wake Wedge.