• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winter projects

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested to see what others have for a winter project.

I plan on adding underwater transom lights. Any opinions on which ones are the best bang for the buck? I'd hate to go cheap, drill holes in the boat, with sub par results. Anyone, have experience/suggestions on which ones to get? I refuse to spend $500 on lights I'll use twice a year. Not out at night very often. I think I wanna go with blue too, I like the red while underway but I think while sitting still the blue would look better.

I am totally rebuilding my Rhino. Not a project on the boat but I do use it to pull the boat in and out of its shed, so it kind of is a boat project.

Full tear down, repaint frame and arms and half shaft centers with orange metallic automotive paint, repaint bed, new exhaust, new tires, and either a 686 big bore kit or a 719 stroker kit for the motor.

20151127_162409.jpg

I build guitars through the winter. It pays for boats and boating through the summer.

Also working on my old boat to sell in the spring. Putting a new helm and cable plus buff it out.

I'll add a couple guitar pics in a bit.

Guitars just reminded me of this guy, I love his innovation even the spark plug socket on his finger.
I have even seen hammer and broom guitars .

The Hemi Challenger.

Gulf Racing.

The SX

That's all I could get up to photobucket before work it shut it down. Lol

Hit the climbing gym.....

image.jpeg

My projects? LOL my LIFE is a project!
But for the boat - new trim around the cuddy door. Clean out plug fix. Second amp for my tower speakers and finish the wiring for the speakers and light up top. Clean it cuz it needs a bath oh so badly. Spark plugs. Oil change (early early spring). Create a custom bow cover that uses no snaps. Find/have made a new cover to go around the tower poles as my oem cover is garbage and ripped up and can no longer be used.
Still working on garage plans as well. Trying to figure out what the costs are going to be and how we can afford it. Have a crazy idea of buying a place down by Lake Cumberland instead of building a garage as well, but I think it may be dreaming until the Expedition is paid off. I hate payments so bad.

No winter projects as I have no access to boat until spring. I am conflicted about this because while it makes for a relaxing winter it will be a busy spring.
1 fix drain plug I broke while winterizing
2 design/build/buy a lower bilge pump that will run automatically for five or ten minutes when the boat is lifted out of the water since I am not always there when the pull the boat
3 Inspect/replace scupper while I am down in there
4 Dual batteries
5 Fix trim around head compartment
6 Complete buffing and waxing

And I am sure there will be a few other things that pop up in the spring

Out with the old Sony HU and in with new Clarion 505. Swim deck remote also.

Just got word that my new Seadek from @JetBoatPilot is on its way (from the group buy)!

So, I guess you now know what my winter project will be. I also have a bilge alarm to install (and still have to do the normal maintenance: oil, plugs, lube, etc.).

@arew~SX230 you might want to confirm the tests that others have done with the stock bilge pump....althought it seems really far forward, it only takes 2 gallons of water before it begins pumping.

Completed one of my winter project yesterday (just a small one) - installed a USB charger into the flip up arm rest in our new sectional sofa. Drilled a hole in the back of the box and ran the wire though the sectional to a plug below the sofa.

Other chores I've been avoiding:
  • Put up screening on porch in prep for our annual New Years eve bash
  • Replace cheap plastic edging in front yard around our beds with heavy duty metal edging.
  • Finish wheel barrowing all the logs out of the ravine, split them and stack them.

After my spree last year I think I actually have it basically where I want it... So it's just getting parked for the winter, kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

erasing and restoring my f---ing iPhone that is "searching".

Your right @Julian ... I trusted them and spent an entire day...now after backing up and erasing data to restore to factory defaults, do updates, and restore...no such luck...I await the new iPhone 6S under warranty. Ugh. Looks like it might take all winter!

Back