• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wire to stock speaker locations AR240

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know how difficult it is to pull wires to the stock speaker locations? I am adding new speakers with LED rings and they require hot and ground wires and I was wondering how difficult it would be to pull 2 wires to each stock speaker location. I have a 2019 AR240.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone know how difficult it is to pull wires to the stock speaker locations? I am adding new speakers with LED rings and they require hot and ground wires and I was wondering how difficult it would be to pull 2 wires to each stock speaker location. I have a 2019 AR240.
It's not hard at all, lots of open space behind the various cockpit and bow locations. The only difficult part for me was running RCA cables from the head unit at the swim deck to the battery compartment for my amp as there isn't a lot of space to work without removing the transom access cover. Took out my swim deck speakers to run wires and found I could reach in the hole and pull the wires. I ran speaker wires across the forward section of the engine compartment and was able to do all of it without drilling - lots of little nooks to fish the wires through. Take your time and figure out what/where you want to go and you should be able to do it without "fiberglass rash". Wearing a long sleeved shirt may help if needed. I have a fish tape, but found I didn't need it as there was lots of room to reach the areas. I used plenty of zip-ties to keep everything neat and out of the way.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you use the factory wiring harness? did you add an amp to your system?
Used the factory wiring and did not add an amp. Ran wires to the speakers for led lighting. Plenty of room to get the wires around. Used a fish sick to get around the anchor locker. also added a lighting controller for the speaker led. lights. Plan to add tower speakers in the future and will add an amp then.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Used the factory wiring and did not add an amp. Ran wires to the speakers for led lighting. Plenty of room to get the wires around. Used a fish sick to get around the anchor locker. also added a lighting controller for the speaker led. lights. Plan to add tower speakers in the future and will add an amp then.
I have a 2020 AR240 and starting to lay out my plan for my stereo upgrades. Thinking we might do it in sections like yourself (replace stock speakers first/add tower/possibly add 2 more at the cockpit next to captains chairs later).

I noticed a lot of the higher end speakers have the LEDs like you mentioned, which will require an additional wire separate from the speaker wire. Did you then hook that wiring sequence into the connect system at the helm, or to the head unit at the stern? Also, how do you control the LEDs? Is that a separate remote? When you hooked up the additional wiring did you daisy chain? ie series wire them?

Also how much of a difference is there with the sound now? I have read other posts suggesting you wont get much difference without an amp, hoping that isnt such the case here otherwise I may have to rethink my plans.

TIA

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This isn't hard. I've pulled tons of wires through my 230 and 242X. A wire fish tape is very helpful, as is another person. Wear long sleeves and gloves when working in some areas...fiberglass splinters suck (use duct tape to pull them out of your hands RIGHT AWAY if you get them).

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This isn't hard. I've pulled tons of wires through my 230 and 242X. A wire fish tape is very helpful, as is another person. Wear long sleeves and gloves when working in some areas...fiberglass splinters suck (use duct tape to pull them out of your hands RIGHT AWAY if you get them).
Running wires is fine but where do they hook into? The courtesy lights?

I have tried to find a wiring diagram online for the AR240 but no luck. My boat is in dry storage for the winter, so wont be able to poke around for another month or so.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I have tried to find a wiring diagram online for the AR240 but no luck. My boat is in dry storage for the winter, so wont be able to poke around for another month or so.
If you are adding speakers you'll want to add an amp. I'd run the leds to their own switch....you probably don't want the courtesy lights on with the color lens. And yes, you will need an led light controller.

akatrauma

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gathering everything I need for my 2020 AR240 audio upgrade. Going with all Fusion, got a great package deal on 8 signature series speakers, two amps, and sub. Cant wait for temps to warm up enough to get started on the installation.

n_ikkon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Hello... Okay.. I would not try to connect to the boats current lighting system. Since most of these are RGB, you should wire to an LED controller.

As for your system, I did what you are wanting to do. I started off replacing the stock speakers and replaced them with DS18 speakers. Right away you can hear a big difference in the sound. Like everyone else says, you will hear a huge difference once you add an amp. After the speakers were done, then I went through the process of adding the amp. This means having to lay out cables for the speakers as well as power and ground. I wired everything to go to the helm. Now the boat sounds amazing and I am very happy with it.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello... Okay.. I would not try to connect to the boats current lighting system. Since most of these are RGB, you should wire to an LED controller.

As for your system, I did what you are wanting to do. I started off replacing the stock speakers and replaced them with DS18 speakers. Right away you can hear a big difference in the sound. Like everyone else says, you will hear a huge difference once you add an amp. After the speakers were done, then I went through the process of adding the amp. This means having to lay out cables for the speakers as well as power and ground. I wired everything to go to the helm. Now the boat sounds amazing and I am very happy with it.
Thanks, that’s awesome glad you are happy with the system.

Yeah I can’t decide on which to go with first. Install a couple tower speakers first with an amp, or just replace the 4 current 6.5.

Ive read that some notice a difference when just replacing the stock speakers w/o an amp so that’s encouraging. Hope you don’t mind I have a few other questions.

Where did you mount your amp?
When you replaced the stock speakers are they wired in a series or parallel? I have 2 zones currently with the stock speakers and Fusion head unit, cabin and bow. I would assume mine currently are not in a series.

I ask because I’d like to put the 4 cabin speakers on zone 1 then the towers on zone 2. A bit different from my current stock configuration.

n_ikkon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, that’s awesome glad you are happy with the system.

Yeah I can’t decide on which to go with first. Install a couple tower speakers first with an amp, or just replace the 4 current 6.5.

Ive read that some notice a difference when just replacing the stock speakers w/o an amp so that’s encouraging. Hope you don’t mind I have a few other questions.

Where did you mount your amp?
When you replaced the stock speakers are they wired in a series or parallel? I have 2 zones currently with the stock speakers and Fusion head unit, cabin and bow. I would assume mine currently are not in a series.

I ask because I’d like to put the 4 cabin speakers on zone 1 then the towers on zone 2. A bit different from my current stock configuration.
When just replacing the speakers, then there is no wiring that you have to worry about. The wiring comes into play when you add an amp to those speakers as you have to wire them all. The stock configuration has both types of wiring configuration (series and parallel).

I placed my amp in the helm, so this means that I had to bring all of the wires there.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When just replacing the speakers, then there is no wiring that you have to worry about. The wiring comes into play when you add an amp to those speakers as you have to wire them all. The stock configuration has both types of wiring configuration (series and parallel).

I placed my amp in the helm, so this means that I had to bring all of the wires there.
Thanks again, yeah would be reusing the existing wires for a swap. Was more thinking when adding the amp for the tower speakers how I would then add the 4 existing speakers into the amp.

Good to know about the current wiring. I may leave the 2 at the bow tied to the factory system and tie in the cabin speakers to the amp with the towers when I add. Will have to see how that will work with the zoning though with the fusion unit at the stern.

We’ll see. Get the boat out of storage next weekend and can start checking things out.

TX Drift Away

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm gathering everything I need for my 2020 AR240 audio upgrade. Going with all Fusion, got a great package deal on 8 signature series speakers, two amps, and sub. Cant wait for temps to warm up enough to get started on the installation.
Did you complete your upgrade? I'm getting ready to do the same upgrade AR240 2019, where id you place the amp? Did you run all new speaker wire. Any issues with the Stern radio hook up?