• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you? 04 SX230

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm ready for a bigger boat. I'm ready for a Yamaha. I'm very mechanically inclined and like to do work myself.

I was pretty well sold on a brand new one. By and large, simply for the available financing. I was just about set on a 2015 AR210 during one of the shows in February provided they were offering the 2.9% like years past. Financing a new boat is easy button. I like that option. But, I have to deal with dealers. And warranty. And a boat payment (which would be an additional payment until my current boat sells). And, I don't like those options.

So, the option is obviously there for financing a used AR210/240 whatever. 20-30K probably, but financing used boats suck. Term and rates are terrible.

Now. I've just stumbled upon an 04 SX230. Being sold through a broker who doesn't seem to know a whole lot, and is being sold essentially sight unseen. (Pics available, but viewing isn't). Needs a good cleaning, but looks good for the most part. Hours unknown. Comes with a nice galvanized trailer. Awaiting confirmation, but I'm pretty sure it's a freshwater boat based on location. Best part of this boat is cash deal. $8000. No boat payments. And, it's not far from me.

All things considered, and so many unknowns, would you? And if so, what would it take to make these MR1's bulletproof? What is problematic on these engines?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sight unseen but its close by?

I bought my boat thru a consignment. Felt i got the better half of the deal......but there was a test ride. I know a few folks that have bought a boat without driveing it. I couldnt do that.

Where does 8k run vs the average for that year/model. Sounds low

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, the broker states "not available for viewing". That's the one, Bruce.

Low book is 16K. Similar boats on boattrader for 12-16K, but clean and with all the information you'd need. I'm waiting to see if the broker can give me anymore information. At this point, if they can at least verify it starts and runs fine, I'm thinking I'm gonna jump on it.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weird that it's "not available for viewing" that would throw up a big flag for me. There must be a reason it is 8K....and that might be high because of those reasons.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At this point, if they can at least verify it starts and runs fine, I'm thinking I'm gonna jump on it.
Did you look at the Ebay pictures? No one has even tried to clean that boat up. I am doubtful that the seats would clean up. If that bothers you then it is a $3K+ problem. @JetBoatPilot is selling a kit to reupholster the seats.

But my biggest concern is whether or not it has been submerged. The engine compartment should not be that dirty. All that stuff got in there and high up on the engines and on top of the air cleaners somehow.

I believe the engine compartment drain plugs are laying on the floor in the left side of this picture. Did they end up there when draining water?

There are some scratches on the bow that do not bother me but I do not like the gel coat damage that I see here, it needs to be repaired ($50 DIY).

The speakers are factory so they are certainly blown.

A section of hydro turf is missing from the stern. Looks like Will sells a replacement kit for $200.

The older Mr1 engines are much less fuel efficient peaking at 2.5 MPG at 22 MPH where the HO engines get 3.4 MPG at 28 MPH. You can see BoatTest's results at http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Partner-Main.aspx?lp_id=403&Videoid=663&p=0&s= .

If the engines run well and have good compression test results and she runs close to 48 MPH and you are happy with the aesthetics then this boat could be a good buy.

If you want to buy her to fix up then I worry that you would spend more on repairs and upgrades than it would cost to buy one in good condition. But you would have exactly what you want.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldnt buy it without knowing if the engines run. If they've been submerged it could get expensive FAST! New engines, CDI boxes etc will cost you thousands in just parts. If you can confirm she runs and the engine hours, then 8k sounds like a good deal as the upholstery is as someone says, probably 3K and some minor gel coat work for 1k and other misc for 1k and you have a 16-20k boat for 13k plus your time....and I assume --NO Boat payment!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I'm thinking. I doubt I'm gonna learn the hours, but if I can verify they at least run well, the rest doesn't scare me so much. Even if I buy a new boat, I'm still planning on a crazy audio system regardless, so that's moot. Upholstery I really feel will clean up well enough for me for now, maybe some sun burn on the edges, but I think the rest I can live with at least this summer. I couldn't seem to get those pics blown up like that, thanks Bruce. I know it's a gamble, but I got a good vibe. Aside from my tow rig, all my vehicles have and always be reclamation projects. I'd rather have the HO engines, but I can't rightly complain much at this price point.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree....I'll bet that upholstery will clean up reasonably well for a 10 year old boat. I laughed out loud at the claim that this is a "Very good condition" boat! It is actually one of the worst condition boats I've seen....which is why it is listed with a reserve half of its nada value! But if you don't mind a little elbow grease....8K would be a steal if she runs!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL. I'd hate to see what they considered poor condition.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree that the condition of the engines would be the biggest concern. The interior could be brand new for about 3k, and still a cheap buy at 11k total in. The engines could break the bank. The only boat I would buy without a test drive is a brand new one.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't touch it just because nobody is allowed to inspect it and your payment is due before you are given the location. Scammer? If you end up finding blown motors or something major you could always sue the seller. His ad states no known issues other than dirt and bent bimini, that is a written contract.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree with others that the water marks all the way up to the tops of the engines + the no inspection is a big red flag.
If it has been submerged, which looks very possible and you cannot rule out, both engines complete including electronics, etc., plus interior plus the gel coat, etc... I would advise you pass.

Given how mechanically inclined you appear to be, if you could inspect it the story is different.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". In this case you will be paying $8K and should expect to pay $3-5K+ more to get this where you will want it to be. There are way too many great used boats to go for something like this one. You can find a lot of boats in the classified section here and I would say that a test ride and compression test (in my view) would be requirements but I could be persuaded with a very clean boat, knowledge of the owner, etc.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having made a long distance trip myself to buy my boat, suggest you consider it. This boat looks fantastic and appears turnkey, just do it!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having made a long distance trip myself to buy my boat, suggest you consider it. This boat looks fantastic and appears turnkey, just do it!
Let me clarify... I'd make the trip to LA for the boat Bruce posted

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL. I figured that's what you meant mark_m. Either that or you were as sarcastic as I like to be sometimes! Tis beautiful, and priced too dam good to even consider a lower offer. It's more than I can do cash money though. Not gonna rule it out, but not going to consider something like that until mine is sold. Sure is tempting though...there's another AR210 listed on here that is equally tempting. Is it boat season yet?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps offer your SeaDoo as a partial trade?