• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you really want navigation on the Connext screen or would it be better on a second display?

Would you really want navigation on the Connext screen or would it be better on a second display?

• Connext Screen

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Separate Display

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have seen a number of requests asking for navigation on the Connext system. Chaparral provides navigation through their Medallion system.

My opinion is that Connext already controls and displays so much that I would prefer navigation on a second display.

I am curious what others think?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Decent maps would cost at least $200 per boat plus the cost to develop the software.

I would rather have Yamaha include or allow customers / dealers to install a $500+ chart plotter / fish finder combination.

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm with you Bruce. Everyone likes something different. Look at how many different bnavigation products there are for cars. One size does not fit all. I would like a place to mount.,a blank, that would allow me to chose one of 30 different items. I might want a Raymarune item and someone else wants a Hummingbird. I.d honestly like to install a radio over navigation.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How about a bigger screen and have the ability to split the screen screen with Connext controls and Navionics (or some other popular lake map software)?

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want my own screen and a much larger screen. This technology changes a lot and I would not want to be locked into the manufacturer for gps. If my 07 had a touch screen, what are the chances Yamaha would still be offering updates for the software?

Plus the screen already is the stereo too. I don't like multitasking so many things through one single screen.

Also, I want the screen mounted dead center right in front of me and as high as possible that it's just below the tip of the bow so as not to block my view but easy to see. Makes waypoint navigation so much easier.

I went through a lot of trouble to mount a lowrance HDS 8" screen dead center in my 230 with a new custom dash insert. I love it. It just makes things so much easier to read and it's right there in my field of view.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There may be room for someone to market a custom dashboard template that would accept in-dash mounting of a nav system, with alternative placement of the tachs/speedo/Perfect Pass on non-connext boats. Maybe it would be cost-prohibitive though, not sure. I remember seeing pics of @ptwb dashboard, or someone that did a custom job... it was pretty sweet.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd want it separate,

For instance, my wife just got a new Nissan Quest with the screen for navigation/stereo and such....she uses her phone for navigation.
Just because she doesn't like how the built in unit describes the next turns and all.

Like said before each person likes a different system and some would want one with more features like fish finders than just navigation.

I like your idea of a blank to add what you want, but make it look presentable so the people that don't want to add anything won't have an ugly blank dash area.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There may be room for someone to market a custom dashboard template that would accept in-dash mounting of a nav system, with alternative placement of the tachs/speedo/Perfect Pass on non-connext boats. Maybe it would be cost-prohibitive though, not sure. I remember seeing pics of @ptwb dashboard, or someone that did a custom job... it was pretty sweet.
I have pics on the old forum from years ago, but don't want to log into that site anymore. I think I was the first to remove the gauge insert, make a template out of it, move the gauges and install a large combo nav/sonar dead center. I know others followed in my footsteps with smaller screens. I will need to dig around to find the pics from back then.

I love the idea of blank for nav, but a part of me will side with Yamaha (and other manufacturers) as a lot of people (if not most) could be left with an ugly looking dash and a huge blank spot that they have no intentions of mounting their own nav into. I'd guess most of these boats don't have a nav added. There are many different types of navs in all shapes and sizes.

What I would like to see is Connext no longer standard. Basic electronic throttle control/engine syncing should be standard instead. In place of the Connext screen should be a switch panel with all the traditional switches and a stereo (or stereo remote). If somebody wants Connext, they remove that panel and replace it with the touch screen and plug in an upgraded computer.

I've stared at the dash for the 240s with Connecxt wondering what I would do. It seems my trick is still doable. It looks like another similar insert attached onto the main dash beneath that hood. It's different colors so I assume it's removable. I'd make a template out of it, leave off the rpm gauges, fit the Connext screen back where it belongs, and then just put the chartplotter mount bracket where the gauges were to hold the chartplotter screen out and up partially in front of the hood, as high as possible without blocking any view of the water. What to do with the rpm gauges.... if Connext shows everything they do include all warning lights or if the gauges do nothing but show rpms, then I would just mount the gauges behind the dash (or leave unplugged if not needed). Otherwise, whether the wires reached or I needed to make an extension, I would try to make a pod to hold the gauges to the lower right beneath the dash.

Instead of the blank for nav I would just ask Yamaha to make it a little easier with a few better spots to move things around so that people could replace that gauge/screen panel with whatever they want.

For future designs, I think it would be nice if the top of that hood over the gauges had a tray molded into it. I like to put my wallet, glasses, etc on my side of the boat.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Separate, for the sole reason that Yamaha or any other boat manufacturer can not integrate a GPS plotting/fish finder system of high quality and function as those available seperately. They are in the boat business....leave the electronics to the electronic companies.

However, they should leave room for end user customizations on the dash or at very least offer a second dash plate you can buy at additional cost that moves the Connext and other gauges out of the way to leave you with an area to flush mount or bracket mount a GPS/plotter/fish finder.

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would prefer if it were part of the connext screen. I didn't buy a fishing boat for a reason. I have always said there will never be a fishing pole on my boat, everyone else has a fishing boat so I just use there's and I don't want mine to look like it has a fish finder sticking out of the dash