• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

WTF!?!?! <Gelcoat imperfections>

parsons

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Home is Yukon OK, boat sleeps at Lake Eufaula
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noticed this when I was putting the boat away. There's no damage on the surface, and to me it looks like there were blisters in the fiberglass at some point. Thought I went over the boat with a fine toothed comb when we bought it a few weeks ago but didn't notice any of this. It's a new 2014 and I know enough about fiberglass to know it wouldn't have just appeared, so I guess in the hurry of buying the boat, I somehow missed it.

Anyone else have this problem, and what should I do? Take it back to the dealer?

image.jpg
And a picture with out the red for comparison

image.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for. But looks like the lines are the reflection of the wall there. That or I need to look at the pic on a computer and not my phone.

Hard to see with the vertical stripes in the reflection. From what I can make out it seems like normal irregularities in the fiberglass.

It looks fine too me.

Hard to tell with the reflected wall....is that just refections of the dents in the wall?

Hard to tell in the pictures. I do see something but appears to be a reflection of the dinged metal of the storage garage wall on that nice Shiny black. If it is several spots to the right of center, appears to be minor imperfections. I have a few and just live with it. Would need a better picture for any further analysis.

Last edited:
Trying to upload a video I took, but it's not going well. I'll pull it out and get better pics the next time we are up at the lake. It's not in the reflection of the metal, I'm sure of that

LOL! Just noticed in your avatar your boat is blue on the bottom. Looks black in posted picture.

I'm wearing the zoom feature out on my phone...definitely need better pics.

Is it area's of what appears like rough shiny gelcoat instead of smoothed shiny gelcoat?

I see some spots there. Are they nicks or dents of some sort, or a factory blistering?
In another thread, we talked about Bryant boats where they let the mold sit for 3 days to cure before pulling. I am sure Yamaha doesn't do that and this may be the result. My boat has a little bit of a wave effect on its hull as well. Nothing you can do about this really, other than complain, OR, sand down the whole boat and paint it all down.

can you back it out of the shed and take better photo's? Right now all I see is reflection from your aluminum siding (with dents in it, and not the fiberglass)

Looks like a reflection of the dented wall to me.

If you find a void or other similar issue, I am sure the dealer will get it fixed for you. If it is cosmetic, it will be at their discretion I suspect. I don't think they will stand behind the ding in the wall however;)

Best way to fix that......don't look at it.

From what I can make out of your pictures it doesn't appear to be anything other than cosmetic. Not structural, not blistering, not print-through, just a little pucker spot if it isn't a reflection of that dented wall.
As @Speedling mentioned, it may not have fully cured at that spot prior to being removed from the mold....could have had a tad bit too much or too little mold release at that point...who knows, but it would be more trouble to even try and repair that - if repair is even the right word.
I doubt that anyone else will ever see that spot unless you point it out and even then it's hard to see as a defect - just using this sample of Yamaha boat owners as an example.

And when you are inside blasting across a lake it will be the last thing on your mind - so go have fun and don't sweat it. :cool:

Also looks like the wall to me. Interested in any pics away from the dented wall.

I see it now! I think my 2005 has that also. Some lighting conditions make it show more but I wouldn't worry about it....go have fun!

I feel like I'm getting trolled. I don't see anything other than the dented wall reflection.

Back