• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

WTF!!!!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It takes just a few bolts to take that pump out. If you are mechanically inclined I could not see the harm in pulling that pump to check it out If you are eager... Just an opposing thought to leaving it to the dealer, if it might be an otherwise easy fix on a rock or stone or piece of wood behind that impeller blade.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a few issues with my '17. Different issues... but the point is.. let the dealer handle it and enjoy the boat once you get it back!
The only problem with this is that dealers are slammed this time of year.

That does look like a bit of wood stuck in the impeller.....but could that really have been stuck there since day 1?

@John Mcpartland do both engines respond the same way? Meaning if both are running and you gun one, do you get more oomph from one vs the other? Just trying to isolate the problem down if possible.

Yes. Before i always jad rhe clean out tubes full of water. After no water at all
I'm skeptical of your modified plugs. Water SHOULD sit on top of the plugs when running. If it doesn't, then there is a gap allowing the water to flow out into the intake area. Water sits on top of the plugs after it washes over the swim deck when you come off plane. Then is sits on top of the sealed plugs until you remove them (each trip). If the water is no longer pooling on top of them I suspect you are pulling air through the plugs and causing cavitation.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm skeptical of your modified plugs. Water SHOULD sit on top of the plugs when running. If it doesn't, then there is a gap allowing the water to flow out into the intake area. Water sits on top of the plugs after it washes over the swim deck when you come off plane. Then is sits on top of the sealed plugs until you remove them (each trip). If the water is no longer pooling on top of them I suspect you are pulling air through the plugs and causing cavitation.
Is this proven? I just don't see how it can be true. I have taken my boat out for a short trips, mostly in no-wake zones and the plugs are still filled to do the door with water. There is no way that much water splashed on top of the deck.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is this proven? I just don't see how it can be true. I have taken my boat out for a short trips, mostly in no-wake zones and the plugs are still filled to do the door with water. There is no way that much water splashed on top of the deck.
It is also pushed up through the clean out drain....(drain in reverse). But yes....very rare NOT to see water on top of the plugs after running. It also doesn't need to get on top of the deck....is just goes under it. But someone on here posted a while back that he confirmed water does come up through the drain. So both are valid ways to get water in there.

Bottom line...if you have no water on top of the plugs after running for a while and pulling the boat out....it is draining through the plug...which suggests it is leaking water through the seal. A little leak is likely ok....always quickly draining....not good.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It is also pushed up through the clean out drain....(drain in reverse). But yes....very rare NOT to see water on top of the plugs after running. It also doesn't need to get on top of the deck....is just goes under it. But someone on here posted a while back that he confirmed water does come up through the drain. So both are valid ways to get water in there.

Bottom line...if you have no water on top of the plugs after running for a while and pulling the boat out....it is draining through the plug...which suggests it is leaking water through the seal. A little leak is likely ok....always quickly draining....not good.
I guess I am good since mine are always 100% full lol.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John Mcpartland can you give us some more specifics on what you did to the plugs to modify them?
@John Mcpartland can you give us some more specifics on what you did to the plugs to modify them?
I had some material in the boat called mule tape. We use it at work to pull cable through conduit, its very strong and thin maybe the size of 2 shoe laces side by side. I cut it the diameter of the plug and used a little marine grease i had in the boat to kind of act like glue to hold it in place. I wrapped it around the plug and just pushed it between the hard part of the plug and the soft rubber gasket. The plug seemed to lock in more solidly, if that makes sense. After doing that i didn't have any water in the clean out tubes the rest of the day

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you run the engines on the trailer, do the impellers sound like they are not rubbing or grinding on the outside walls? Like, is it a real clean sound? Because if the clearance is correct it should sound horrible. Almost a metal on metal sound.
I started both engines and they sound pretty clean, no rubbing sound

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After doing that i didn't have any water in the clean out tubes the rest of the day
Water in the clean out tubes is a GOOD THING...it means the tubes are SEALED. When there is NO water, that means it is leaking past the seal. The water gets there from backing up the drain, and from overwash on the swim deck, not from being blown past the plugs. If you have water sitting on top of the plugs, this means they are sealed and not allowing the water to pass them (down). I would pull that off and see what happens.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It doesn't sound like a bunch of bolts in a blender? It should.
Now this has me interested. My '17 212x doesn't sound like that either, its loud but more just open exhaust sound, definitely not like metal on metal. I'm only 5-10 mph off what I would have expected but have been wondering why - could it be related I wonder? They all sound like this or is it possible that some don't?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Now this has me interested. My '17 212x doesn't sound like that either, its loud but more just open exhaust sound, definitely not like metal on metal. I'm only 5-10 mph off what I would have expected but have been wondering why - could it be related I wonder? They all sound like this or is it possible that some don't?
OK....a bunch of bolts might be a bit of an exaggeration, but you typically hear metal on metal clanging sounds from the pump when the edges of the impeller contact the wear ring-especially when you first start the engine and it is vibrating more.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man your guys boats must just be perfectly tuned usually it sounds so bad running out of the water that when people do it the first time they post on here that they think something is wrong.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water in the clean out tubes is a GOOD THING...it means the tubes are SEALED. When there is NO water, that means it is leaking past the seal. The water gets there from backing up the drain, and from overwash on the swim deck, not from being blown past the plugs. If you have water sitting on top of the plugs, this means they are sealed and not allowing the water to pass them (down). I would pull that off and see what happens.
Just starting the boat and only going through the no wake zone for a mile the tubes fill. If i get water over the swim platform and fill the tubes the water stays

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just starting the boat and only going through the no wake zone for a mile the tubes fill. If i get water over the swim platform and fill the tubes the water stays
At what point did you add the tape? Recently while trying to fix the current problem? If before the performance problem existed? Did the boat ever get to plane in <3 seconds?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the bucket of bolts sound, after I replaced the bearings at the back of the pump that sound went away. I assume it will come back over time. I will check when I change the oil.

However lack of the sound is a good indication that the gap between the pump housing and impeller may be too large.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
On the bucket of bolts sound, after I replaced the bearings at the back of the pump that sound went away. I assume it will come back over time. I will check when I change the oil.

However lack of the sound is a good indication that the gap between the pump housing and impeller may be too large.
Guess it just gives me one more inspection to check off in my quest for where my last 5-10 mph is.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At what point did you add the tape? Recently while trying to fix the current problem? If before the performance problem existed? Did the boat ever get to plane in <3 seconds?
Yesterday afternoon while troubleshooting

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If this was an MR-1 engine I would also wonder about spark plugs.....I thought my SX230 had something wrong with the pump, but after changing the plugs everything ran normally. I've not heard that the newer engines are as finicky, but its a possibility none-the-less.