• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2024 line up …

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a 2024 AR250 in yesterday and was able to get it out on the water today. Here are my impressions of the new motors:

- The engines definitely have more power than the previous 1.8. It was very noticeable on take off and in the mid range. We had two full size adults on board and hit 51 mph. There was no cavitation on a full power take off from standstill and the boat really hooked up well. I'm very pleased.

- Noise wise the boat is certainly quieter. At 30mph I was able to hold a normal level conversation with my tech. Of course there's still wind noise but the drone of the engines is significantly less.

- Vibration levels have been drastically improved and honestly that was my and my tech's biggest take aways from our outing this morning. There was not rattling throughout the boat and the steering wheel and throttles felt absolutely solid and still. It really feels like an entirely different boat.

I didn't do much efficiency testing but with a full tank of fuel and 2 large men aboard we were getting just 12.7gph at 29/30mph. Not too shabby. Happy to answer any questions so fire away.
That is great information. Checks a lot of boxes for me.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got a 2024 AR250 in yesterday and was able to get it out on the water today. Here are my impressions of the new motors:

- The engines definitely have more power than the previous 1.8. It was very noticeable on take off and in the mid range. We had two full size adults on board and hit 51 mph. There was no cavitation on a full power take off from standstill and the boat really hooked up well. I'm very pleased.

- Noise wise the boat is certainly quieter. At 30mph I was able to hold a normal level conversation with my tech. Of course there's still wind noise but the drone of the engines is significantly less.

- Vibration levels have been drastically improved and honestly that was my and my tech's biggest take aways from our outing this morning. There was not rattling throughout the boat and the steering wheel and throttles felt absolutely solid and still. It really feels like an entirely different boat.

I didn't do much efficiency testing but with a full tank of fuel and 2 large men aboard we were getting just 12.7gph at 29/30mph. Not too shabby. Happy to answer any questions so fire away.
In the video posted above, the two guys were talking about the 4° Less overlap in valve timing, and how that should create a smoother running engine at idle, above you mention, “vibration levels have been drastically improved”, did you notice the boat idled more smoothly and quieter as well as at cruise?

Do you think the four bladed impellers contributed to reduction of vibration at cruise?

That’s all great news about the new engines and we appreciate your first hand observations!

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Less vibration would also contribute to a quieter boat, all positive things!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another thing that was mentioned in the video was the elimination of lead on the Babbitt style bearings. I did some research on this style of bearing, and while there is a very thin layer of lead on top of the copper and tin, and engines with some hours on them one will find that the lead coating on the Babbitt is gone. There are other coatings that can be applied to the babbitt bearing to take the place of lead. Knowing Yamaha I’m sure they tested the new bearings thoroughly.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In the video posted above, the two guys were talking about the 4° Less overlap in valve timing, and how that should create a smoother running engine at idle, above you mention, “vibration levels have been drastically improved”, did you notice the boat idled more smoothly and quieter as well as at cruise?

Do you think the four bladed impellers contributed to reduction of vibration at cruise?

That’s all great news about the new engines and we appreciate your first hand observations!
The boat definitely idles smoother but at speed is where the biggest difference are noticed. I was told the new pump design and 4 blade impeller were a big part of the reduction in felt vibrations. I was also told that the 22' boats see the biggest improvements in all around noise/vibration levels so I'm looking forward o my firs tone of those arriving to compare with.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat definitely idles smoother but at speed is where the biggest difference are noticed. I was told the new pump design and 4 blade impeller were a big part of the reduction in felt vibrations. I was also told that the 22' boats see the biggest improvements in all around noise/vibration levels so I'm looking forward o my firs tone of those arriving to compare with.
Thank you ! I see you ran the test with a full tank of gas which is the proper way to test a boat.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another thing that was mentioned in the video was the elimination of lead on the Babbitt style bearings. I did some research on this style of bearing, and while there is a very thin layer of lead on top of the copper and tin, and engines with some hours on them one will find that the lead coating on the Babbitt is gone. There are other coatings that can be applied to the babbitt bearing to take the place of lead. Knowing Yamaha I’m sure they tested the new bearings thoroughly.
This is bad news ... once the lead is worn and the copper is exposed the bearing is at the end of life ... if they are pushed beyond this period the engine rod will blow and pretty much toast the engine ... i am familiar with this in the s65/s85 m3, m5 community as many have gotten their bearings replaced with after market as a precaution at a high cost to do .

Last edited:

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If 1.9s use the same crank as the 1.8s .. it may be a big precaution to have the main and rod bearings replaced with the 1.8s style ..

someone contact Gladdis and ask him WTH material ??? are they appeasing the green movement with in the new rod bearings !?!?

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pretty detailed information of the new 1.9 engine at https://www.greenhulk.net/forum/personal-watercraft-performance-skis/yamaha-pwc-performance/yamaha-pwc-performance-4-stroke/6166925-greenhulk-breaking-down-yamaha-s-1-9l-engine.

Regarding the bearing change, “Yamaha will also be transitioning to lead free rod bearings and main bearings for environmental reasons. For those of you that don’t know, lead is a natural lubricant and dampener but highly toxic. Lead free bearings are environmentally safer and are more resistant to corrosion.”

Jim

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty detailed information of the new 1.9 engine at https://www.greenhulk.net/forum/personal-watercraft-performance-skis/yamaha-pwc-performance/yamaha-pwc-performance-4-stroke/6166925-greenhulk-breaking-down-yamaha-s-1-9l-engine.

Regarding the bearing change, “Yamaha will also be transitioning to lead free rod bearings and main bearings for environmental reasons. For those of you that don’t know, lead is a natural lubricant and dampener but highly toxic. Lead free bearings are environmentally safer and are more resistant to corrosion.”

Jim
The 1.8s NEVER had corrosion issues as far as im concerned in the last decade they have been out and running .. I also havent heard of any N/A engines ever having bearing issues .. My hunch is the new 1.9s will survive the warranty period, then have issues .. thats when after market will step in ... Lead is the KING of solid bearing material ..

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That all sounds fantastic, I was itching to go after the 255 FSH Sport H this year, but maybe I can hold my trigger finger another year and perhaps they'll have SVHO 1.8's in them next year... that would be worth waiting for I think.
From the same Greenhulk site I linked above, “SVHO 1.9L will be released next year.” So, this would be for 2025.

Jim

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
From the same Greenhulk site I linked above, “SVHO 1.9L will be released next year.” So, this would be for 2025.

Jim
Can't find the thread now, but there is a dealer on this forum that shared a little bit of info on testing the new 1.9 he already has on his lot. if I find it I'll post the link here.

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Well dang, correction. it was in this thread and it was Ziess21.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone seen any numbers on 0-30 times for the new ar250/252 boats? Excited to see what that is with the new 1.9 and 4 blade impellers!

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone seen any numbers on 0-30 times for the new ar250/252 boats? Excited to see what that is with the new 1.9 and 4 blade impellers!
from what im hearing ..about 0-30 in .00000000000000000000012ths of a second , top speed 1463 mph you can do bimini run with one swoop of the throttle lever , each way of course !

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
all jokes aside .. no info anywhere ! no dealers have them anywhere , no videos nothing !

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
all jokes aside .. no info anywhere ! no dealers have them anywhere , no videos nothing !
Nothing yet. It takes awhile but eventually JetBoatPilot, Boat Test, Julian or Phil Dill Boats do great YouTube videos.

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I just want the info on the new impeller. If it is indeed a 4 bladed and will the 155mm previous pumps work with it?

Last edited:

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thanks so much for this info! What would you guess the 0-30 time to has improved by?
Did it feel as quick in acceleration as the 2015-2020 AR240?