• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212x rpm issues. Help please.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Been awhile since I posted as we haven't been boating that much. Short story is that my wife and kids had our 2008 212x out a couple days ago and the boat ran great. We are out today and at idle both engines run about the same rpm. When I throttle up the port side engine will hit about 7000 and the starboard only hits about 4200 and fluctuates up and down. Any ideas why this happens all of a sudden? I replaced the spark plugs last year and I also checked the clean out plugs and no leaks or debris. Any help is appreciated.

I'd start by changing the spark plugs again and maybe taking the battery in for a check.

The plugs came to my mind too. What would the battery have to do with it??

Simone else suggested the ecu possibly. But I hope not.

any other unusual noises or vibrations? I'd start with the plugs also,

It could be the battery has a loose ground or not fully charged and is causing an intermittent issue,
The ecu could be an issue but it would be further down the list, try the plugs first

I don't know much about the twin engine boats, but you could swap the ecu's and see if the problem follows to the other engine. I highly recommend getting the YDS cable and software. You can check engine codes, and read the output of all of the engines sensors. I made a longer cable for mine so I can watch the ecu outputs while I drive the boat.

I check things in this order:
  1. Battery connnections
  2. clean out hatch kills switch (tape a coin over where it hits the lid for the starboard switch)
  3. unplug and replug the lanyard a few times
  4. change the plugs
  5. test the battery(this seems like a long shot at the port runs fine....does the starboard run ok with the port engine off?)

Back