• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Zup / Surf tower rack ?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Super frustrated...

Finally got around to installing tower rack before leaving on a trip tomorrow, and not getting along too well.

We have a Zup 2.0 beginner board (“you got this” I think it’s called) and a liquid force Fish 5.0 surf board.

I have this rack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5KQZXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_1adkBbWVC39FX

The surf board is too thick. Actually, I’ve got 2 other surf/surf racks and it won’t fit in any of the slots. I’m not supposed to cram it in am I? It may fit, but I’m afraid it’s going to leave grooves in the board from being too tight.

And the Zup fits (sort of). A good 2/3 of the board is outside the rack. And the gap is so large, the board is essentially resting on the point of each lower finger. That can’t be right, can it?

Any advice here on what I need?

Thanks!!

EF887A8F-816C-4DBA-AFB3-41C26B99A837.jpeg F2CEE8C3-D4B8-42F1-A003-23464F5D9485.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Mjones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
following - need to buy a rack for this board. Tks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had these racks on a couple different boats they are really made for a cheap rotomolded knee board. They just rebadged them as surf racks. They really don't work well as surf racks. Even my high end fiberglass knee board fits like your zup. I put mine on a horizontal bar and angled them up a lot more. Hoping this makes the kneeboard fit better or I'll be looking for something else.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following too since I just got the ZUP 2.0 based upon @swatski and others mentioning them. I need a place to put it. In the interim I've stuck it along the passenger side wall so it blocks 3 cupholders but it's secure. Only had a chance for each kid to take one turn each on it before it started storming last trip out. The kids love it!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also emailed Nick at Zup a little while ago for recommendations. He probably won’t be able to say “yes, buy this one “. But at least maybe he would have a few that have been tested, or some pointers.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t speak to the racks for zup boards as I currently don’t use a rack for storage. My first gen zup won’t fit in any of the boat’s compartments so when we bring it it lays on the deck or it sits at camp until needed. The omnia board licensed to a third party fits tightly into the ski locker.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is good timing. I just ordered a ZUP 2.0 today for the grandkids to learn on. I have the exact racks @BigAbe75 has. I have a couple kneeboards and wakeboards. So I ended up mounting the racks so they angle much higher. The ZUP site indicates the version 2 is thin enough to fit in a wakeboard slot. I'll try it when it gets delivered. Doesn't look like BigAbe's tower offers a different mounting option. At least you won't have trouble with heavy boards causing the mount to slip downward. You can see the sharp up angle in this photo. Even the boat next to me did the same thing. Makes the board sit better on their edge, not the bottom.
IMG_0690.jpgIMG_0693.jpg

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Double Wakesurf rack looks perfect. And that's a great price. Honestly my wakeboards aren't getting any use and I'm going to sell them. The ZUP will be their replacement.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember @swatski and @Ronnie have Zup boards, so tagging them. :)
I have the OEM rack, I posted on it somewhere, the ZUP fits fine, wouldn't want to cross to Bimini with it in the rack but does fine on the lake
Don't have good pics, sorry - here is a partial:
upload_2018-6-18_21-34-23.png

The rack on the other side - fits a surf board and a wake board
upload_2018-6-18_21-35-5.png

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
https://www.monstertower.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/t/mt-20171121_245.jpg

Here is the rack I bought in the zup board fits fine. I also added the swivel mount. O also have the 2.0 you got this board. I've run wide open board does not move. I'm trying to go through my pictures now trying to find the picture of the board actually in the rack.

Is it possible you could put more angle on your forks?
Could you get a couple noodles go over the forks to make the spacing smaller?

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it possible you could put more angle on your forks?
Could you get a couple noodles go over the forks to make the spacing smaller?
I’ll play with the angles in the morning before we leave. Since I have to reinstall anyway, that will be easy enough. I do have a horizontal bar, I may be able to make that work.

BF8FFDB9-B5D3-4F18-9DEB-1BE795752473.jpeg

You can see the collar placement on the vertical from the previous rack. Now that I look at it, there is some sort of collar on the horizontal. No idea what that goes with, yet. But, I’ll see if that spot does me any good.

Actually, @RampRage sent me a text this evening and offered up the noodle idea and I think that’s going to work. Here’s a couple pics (rack not mounted, since I already took it off in disgust previously)

6810B44A-F766-4A3C-8D0F-4CD9E0C5C23D.jpeg CDBDB2CE-2932-4B9A-8F16-A592A724FDAB.jpeg 0FC8F47F-67E2-4FFC-A06D-D26F8ABEA9F7.jpeg C17E5F6F-66BB-4824-A3A8-619EE4E0BB43.jpeg

I did manage to find a slightly larger noodle and will be going with that instead, but it was too dark to take pics at that point.

I’ll see how we get along on this trip, but still going to want a surf rack I guess, for my other board. We’re just getting started surfing, so I’m hoping that aspect will grow in the years to come.

Thanks all for the links! I plan to go back through them all to check things out.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly my wakeboards aren't getting any use and I'm going to sell them. The ZUP will be their replacement.
You may want to wait a season before you sell your wakeboards. What I’m finding is that people want to move on to wakeboarding and knee boarding after they build their confidence up on the ZUP. My son wants to try wake surfing now that he has stood on the ZUP Omnia without using the foot holds/bindings.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll play with the angles in the morning before we leave. Since I have to reinstall anyway, that will be easy enough. I do have a horizontal bar, I may be able to make that work.

View attachment 76930

You can see the collar placement on the vertical from the previous rack. Now that I look at it, there is some sort of collar on the horizontal. No idea what that goes with, yet. But, I’ll see if that spot does me any good.

Actually, @RampRage sent me a text this evening and offered up the noodle idea and I think that’s going to work. Here’s a couple pics (rack not mounted, since I already took it off in disgust previously)

View attachment 76923 View attachment 76924 View attachment 76925 View attachment 76926

I did manage to find a slightly larger noodle and will be going with that instead, but it was too dark to take pics at that point.

I’ll see how we get along on this trip, but still going to want a surf rack I guess, for my other board. We’re just getting started surfing, so I’m hoping that aspect will grow in the years to come.

Thanks all for the links! I plan to go back through them all to check things out.
My Forks are quick release. My garage ceiling is too low to mount the forks and the zup board. So the pictures are represented the rack actually at the angle it would be on the boat. I can swing the zup board and the rack won't move like it is. Here's some pictures20180618_235525.jpg 20180618_235609.jpg 20180618_235710.jpg 20180618_235738.jpg

Last edited:

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is good timing. I just ordered a ZUP 2.0 today for the grandkids to learn on. I have the exact racks @BigAbe75 has. I have a couple kneeboards and wakeboards. So I ended up mounting the racks so they angle much higher. The ZUP site indicates the version 2 is thin enough to fit in a wakeboard slot. I'll try it when it gets delivered. Doesn't look like BigAbe's tower offers a different mounting option. At least you won't have trouble with heavy boards causing the mount to slip downward. You can see the sharp up angle in this photo. Even the boat next to me did the same thing. Makes the board sit better on their edge, not the bottom.
I had the same problem with my racks rotating down on the horizontal bar with boards in them. I ended up drilling and taping to add a set screw to mine. they are rock solid now.

on the Zup thing. Do the kids really have a much easier time with this? I have a 5 year old and I'm struggling to get him to try the knee board. he will get on it and let me pull him to the boat with the rope when we are anchored, but he is afraid to let me pull him with the boat. I was really hoping to get him going on the knee board this year.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@sethman919 The zup board is a huge hit on our boat. Is allows kids or adults who have never done Watersports to participate because it's so easy. The first two pictures are of my just turned 7 son riding the zup board for the first time. All my boys have ever done is right it tube occasionally. The last two pictures is the second time my son's ever ridden the board. He also was able to stand up and hold on to the Rope but unfortunately my wife did not have the camera ready to go and we missed itFB_IMG_1528126456272.jpg FB_IMG_1528126369678.jpg received_10212514880010957.jpeg received_10212514882291014.jpeg