• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts/Opinions on this Audio System (Audiophiles Welcome)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The speakers I'm looking at are made by SKAR. They don't offer a whole lot of amps in class D. Most are AB. The amps I'm looking at are NVX (that's the brand). Here's a quick link to a dyno test of one of the NVX amps:

Not the specific one I'm looking at, but in the same model range. As far as polk goes, I was/am looking at this amp:

Sorry....I meant to say NVX not SKAR! Do you have yours yet? Will be interested to hear your opinion!

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. 100%
2. More power is always a safe bet. (You can always turn down the gain, but you can't turn it up)
3. This is tough subject that you will get different answers on. In the marine world, I would simply go with what can handle more power (assuming you have it).

The amps give you plenty of headroom to upgrade your speakers down the road, so I think what you have chosen will be good. If you are looking for volume, I would spend the extra coin and get the Kicker KMTC9s instead.... the power is there. I currently have mine under powered at 150watts and at full volume you can't hold a conversation 20 feet behind the boat, and they hardly lose volume until over 100 feet past the boat.
Whew! Those 9" speakers are double the price of the 8" models.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Whew! Those 9" speakers are double the price of the 8" models.
Not sure about the 8s, but even the mount for them is super heavy duty. Quick release to remove from tower, full 359 degree swivel. They are a top notch high quality powerhouse speaker.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry....I meant to say NVX not SKAR! Do you have yours yet? Will be interested to hear your opinion!
I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm one to do so much research that I become an expert in that area (at least in my head) before pulling the trigger on something. I'm pretty set on the NVX amps for the bang for your buck factor. Still undecided on the speakers. Back and forth between the SKAR's and going full kicker on everything.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about the 8s, but even the mount for them is super heavy duty. Quick release to remove from tower, full 359 degree swivel. They are a top notch high quality powerhouse speaker.
That's true. Once you jump to the 9's, the mounts are way better. The 8" are fixed and have RCA inputs on the rear of the housing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm one to do so much research that I become an expert in that area (at least in my head) before pulling the trigger on something. I'm pretty set on the NVX amps for the bang for your buck factor. Still undecided on the speakers. Back and forth between the SKAR's and going full kicker on everything.
I've not been able to compare any speakers in my boat except these: Stock Seaworthy speakers, Polk db 651s and JL MX650s. Each one of those is a noticeable (easily hearable) upgrade. I'm slowly moving to JLs in my boat.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not been able to compare any speakers in my boat except these: Stock Seaworthy speakers, Polk db 651s and JL MX650s. Each one of those is a noticeable (easily hearable) upgrade. I'm slowly moving to JLs in my boat.
I just can't spend the kind of cash that JL demands. I'm sure it's awesome, but I've been fine with all of my factory stereos in the 30+ vehicles I've owned. I just can't hear my stock speakers on this boat while driving. Nothing but wind and a motor with high revs.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just can't spend the kind of cash that JL demands. I'm sure it's awesome, but I've been fine with all of my factory stereos in the 30+ vehicles I've owned. I just can't hear my stock speakers on this boat while driving. Nothing but wind and a motor with high revs.
When I replaced the seaworthy speakers in my SX230 with Polks, I did one side first, then brought out my wife (rolling her eyes the whole way) and played music for her while I faded from left to right. She immediately said the Polks were NOTICEABLY better - which surprised her as she normally couldn't give a crap about stereos and music!). I didn't do the same between the Polks and the JLs - mainly because the difference there is in the clean loudness the JLs produce - and my wife is always telling me to turn it down!!! LOL

The stock seaworthy speakers are.......sea worthy.....as in drop them in the ocean if you have them! LOL

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I replaced the seaworthy speakers in my SX230 with Polks, I did one side first, then brought out my wife (rolling her eyes the whole way) and played music for her while I faded from left to right. She immediately said the Polks were NOTICEABLY better - which surprised her as she normally couldn't give a crap about stereos and music!). I didn't do the same between the Polks and the JLs - mainly because the difference there is in the clean loudness the JLs produce - and my wife is always telling me to turn it down!!! LOL

The stock seaworthy speakers are.......sea worthy.....as in drop them in the ocean if you have them! LOL
That's hilarious about the wife and dropping those speakers. 😁

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I had never heard of those speakers but then I did as I was looking around. Reason I was thinking SKAR had a lot to do with this video. Guy owns a yamaha jet boat like me (different model) and did/does audio installs for a living. Might check it out:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
To be fair, the JLs look so much nicer than the others.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I looked at the Skar amps but went with JL since the Skar amps are Class AB. I was close to going with the Rockville but decided against it after thinking and reading tons on here

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
i have all JL 4 8.8 on the tower 8 6.5 inside the boat and 2 ws subs with a jl 800 and 2 jl 700 amps. di saw a 250 at the lake this weekend with the ds18 sounded good and loud but not jl quality, lots of jetskis are using these ds18 on them

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Julian I looked at the Skar amps but went with JL since the Skar amps are Class AB. I was close to going with the Rockville but decided against it after thinking and reading tons on here
I am close to pulling the trigger on some Phoenix Gold GX1200.6. I have a resource to get them at a great deal, they aren't water proof but for the price nothing comes close power wise.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am close to pulling the trigger on some Phoenix Gold GX1200.6. I have a resource to get them at a great deal, they aren't water proof but for the price nothing comes close power wise.
I use JL car audio amps all the time,

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Skar have some class D’s now as well. Not a lot of offerings but I’m looking at one that is 100 watts @ 4ohm per channel for $150.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use JL car audio amps all the time,
I’m in the same boat. I get needing the speakers to be marine rated with them being where wet people sit. But the amps will be put up where it’s nice and dry. Definitely opens up your options if you don’t “need” the marine rating. I won’t be out on salt water either.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’m in the same boat. I get needing the speakers to be marine rated with them being where wet people sit. But the amps will be put up where it’s nice and dry. Definitely opens up your options if you don’t “need” the marine rating. I won’t be out on salt water either.
I do use them in salt water never had an issue

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have no problem hearing my stock WS speakers while under way. I just put it in Wake Mode and I’m good.