• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 Deck Drain

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all, I have a 2017 SX 195 and shortly after taking delivery I noticed a kink in the deck drain hose. I didn't think much of it at the time & I have not yet stuffed the bow so I was not sure what effect, if any, this kink would have on the boats self-bailing ability. Nevertheless, my OCD would not let it go so I rerouted the deck drain straight across the engine compartment thus removing the kink. Because of the reduced clearance from the supercharger I had to route the drain hose under the air intake hose through a convenient channel in the forward wall of the engine compartment. This leaves me with 2 questions, one for the fluid dynamics folks and one for the other 195 owners.

1) it's difficult to tell from the pics but there is a slight rise in the hose from the part where the hose passes under the air intake to the section where it's strapped to the starboard wall of the engine compartment. Overall there is still a 6" or so drop from the deck to the scupper but water will undoubtedly pool in this 10-12" section. My question is whether you think this made any appreciable difference in the boat's bailing ability. I almost think that the removal of the link has been offset by this rising section. It's worth noting that it IS capable of bailing faster than I can flood it with the garden hose but I didn't do this test before.

2) Does anyone else with the 195 have this problem? It looks like it was a workaround by the engineers when they put the larger supercharger in here but maybe it was just sloppy assembly in my case.

The approximate location of the deck line is referenced in red in each pic for perspective.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    433.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    877 KB · Views: 22
As long as it doesn't rise above the level of the first L bend from the deck it should drain fine at all times. If it does go higher or even to the L bend, then it might not drain as well when sitting not moving and level....but typically when you take a wave over the bow you'll have forward momentum, and and to KEEP forward momentum to drain the deck. The mistake people make is stuffing it in reverse or neutral and losing forward momentum, driving the water towards the bow-which in turn stuffs it again on the next wave. Before they know it, they are swamped. The correct move it to power up a little to ensure forward momentum is maintained and water is pushed to the stern and drains. If you do that, a little upwards angle on that drain pipe won't make any difference as the water pressure will be pushing down the pipe....

It's like that for all the 19' supercharged boats as my 192 is no different. Supercharger physical size is the same but SVHO has a different wheel, so it wasn't an afterthought at the plant for the 195. When I first got the boat the bend of the hose bothered me as well but it does't impede flow of the scupper so I decided not to mess with it. I was going to do the same reroute but have just put it off on the things to do list.

Last edited:
Back