• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2 inch trailer ball is rusted any specific one I should replace it with?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my current 2 inch trailer ball has a significant amount of surface rust so I'm going to replace it as I have noticed trailers don't slide on it as easy as they used to. Any one got any brand or specific info I should look for in a new one?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just use the cheap Reese ones. I would also like to know if there is something better out there. I keep mine with grease on it to help the trailer slide on better but it still rusts a little and I don't use any of those ball covers. Maybe I should lol.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love the Andersen hitch. I use the “Rapid Hitch” because it can be adjusted for multiple trailers, sharing with different vehicles, etc... but specifically as it relates to your question about the ball, their greaseless ball is awesome. It’s silent & I’ve never had the coupler hang up on the ball, even when I used my dads rusty old utility trailer. The added bonus of most of their hitches is the aluminum means light weight & no rust. Down side is price. Buy once, cry once.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ball-mount.aspx

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First thought, dirty mind, you have someone in the neighborhood who "can suck the chrome of a trailer hitch.":eek:o_O:rolleyes: But on a more serious note, I would think putting grease on the ball would help lubricate it, but also that sand and grit would stick to the grease if not covered. All I have ever used is Reese or UHaul brands, I do not know if one brands chrome plating is better, I just replace as needed with what ever brand the local rental/sales place has available.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So my current 2 inch trailer ball has a significant amount of surface rust so I'm going to replace it as I have noticed trailers don't slide on it as easy as they used to. Any one got any brand or specific info I should look for in a new one?
I wouldn't replace the ball, spray it with wd-40 (or something similar), wipe off the rust, then lightly grease the ball. Any wheel bearing grease will work or you can get some grease specifically for tow balls. I bet the inside of the tongue of your trailer is also a little rusty so unless you clean/lube that too a new ball won't completely make things smoother.

upload_2018-4-1_9-1-2.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't replace the ball, spray it with wd-40 (or something similar), wipe off the rust, then lightly grease the ball. Any wheel bearing grease will work or you can get some grease specifically for tow balls. I bet the inside of the tongue of your trailer is also a little rusty so unless you clean/lube that too a new ball won't completely make things smoother.

View attachment 71086
This one has some large gouges from years of abuse now so its going . These things are so cheap its not worth fighting with the old one any more I have sanded it down and lubed it many times now. I can get a chrome one like I have now for around $10 or upgrade to a real stainless steel one for $25 so I think I will upgrade but I do agree I will probably need to grease the new one to try and get the rust off from under the trailer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another thing is your balls won't get so rusty if you use them more, so get the boat out and use your balls, try using your balls on a yard trailer, or perhaps on a camper? Get out there and use your balls every day if you can. The only problem is that at some point your wife or girlfriend will say "honey, can't we just have a quite weekend at home this weekend", and that is when you run the risk of them getting rusty.....so apply a liberal amount of grease to them on those weekends, and consider sticking half a tennis ball over your balls to keep the grease on them, and to keep dust and dirt from sticking to your balls. The only issue with the tennis balls on my balls is that my fetching obsessed dog now sits and stares at her balls on my balls and that gets strange when friends are over. So perhaps consider purple balls to cover your rusty balls...maybe the dog won't stare?

Last edited:

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you decide to get a new ball, I would recommend a Class III or IV ball that can handle 7,500 or 10,000 lbs tgw. The 24’ers with a full tank of gas and gear will be a minimum of 5,000 lbs which is the maximum of the cheaper Class II balls. The shank size is bigger on the Class III & IV balls so you might need a new ball mount as well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another thing is your balls won't get so rusty if you use them more, so get the boat out and use your balls, try using your balls on a trailer, or perhaps on a camper? Get out there and use your balls every day if you can. The only problem is that at some point your wife or girlfriend will say "honey, can't we just have a quite weekend at home this weekend", and that is when you run the risk of them getting rusty.....so apply a liberal amount of grease to them on those weekends, and consider sticking half a tennis ball over your balls to keep the grease on them, and to keep dust and dirt from sticking to your balls. The only issue with the tennis balls on my balls is that my fetching obsessed dog now sits and stares at her balls on my balls and that gets strange when friends are over. So perhaps consider purple balls to cover your rusty balls...maybe the dog won't stare?
Omg did someone hack or steal Julian's account? This is hilarious!!! :D

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup....I just grease my balls....and yes...you have to be careful about not rubbing your balls against anything...people get annoyed when you do that!
ROTFLMAO... After you have greased your balls, do you cover them immediately? What method do you prefer of removing sand and grit from your balls so it does not cause damage to your tongue, on the trailer, down the road?:p;)

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Google. Greaseless Tow hitch. Don’t have to worry about the mess or the rust

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always used Stainless balls. Always look good. Never have to see rust

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah out with the old in with the new. I went with the stainless steel this time not sure why I was being cheap the first go around probably just didn't know any better to be honest. In fairness though the original set up is 10 years old.

IMG_3544[1].JPG IMG_3545[1].JPG IMG_3547[1].JPG

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd say for 10 years you got your monies worth :D. New one looks nice and shiny.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, let's not go dissing 10 year old balls, please. Some of us are sensitive on this subject.

(but the new install does look nice)