• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Jeep GC Summit Diesel

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.36.12 PM.png Summit Diesel is right around $60K new.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I won't be spending that but thanks, I had looked them up and seen that type pricing, just wondered if anyone was buying them at more reasonable amounts.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all the issues across the Chrysler brands, I wouldn't pay that either. . . . . Frankly, I wouldn't even be looking at them.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just used the GC Summit to tow for the first time. We towed 275 miles from Fox Lake to Lake Holcombe, WI. The vehicle did great!

Eric

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I drive 100 per day for work. I bought a vw Passat diesel a few months ago and I love it. 700+ miles to the tank and its roomy as hell.

I don't understand why more people do not drive a diesel.

Josh_Seattle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eric, sounds like I’m about to live your nightmare. I have a 2014 Diesel GC with 65k mi and my engine seized last week. Was towing my AR210 down to portland when the motor started knocking out of the blue. Within a mile or 2 the motor had completely failed and left me and a friend stranded on the side of I5. Jeep just approved the warranty claim so I’m hopeful things will go smoothly. This is my 5th GC, but honestly this one has tested my patience with the brand. It has been in the shop over 30 times in the 3 and a half years I’ve have had it since I purchased it new. It has blown 3 ECM’s, Front end (rack and pinion) went out this spring, and now this. Like you I have an affinity for GC’s - don’t like anything in their class for usability or styling like I do my Jeep. I’m honestly not sure what to do. On one hand seems as tho everything has been replaced worth replacing aside from the transmission. But on the other side, it is rough not having a vehicle that I can trust. I’ll keep you posted on my experience. I have my fingers crossed my experience is less drawn out and with less irritation than yours. -josh

Attachments

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Josh,

Best of luck. If it drags out too long, talk to a lemon-law attorney. There is another law, call Magnuson-Moss, which protects against unreasonably long warranty repairs. This is how I got them to buy back the bad car...

I immediately wrote a letter to the President of Chrysler, which resulted in dialogue with the resolution team. I made it clear to them in every conversation that I didn't trust the car anymore and wanted it to go away. We spoke weekly as they updated me on the progress, but I usually knew more than them because I spoke to the dealership more often.

The new (then) 2015 has 43,000 miles on it and no problems so far...

Eric

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eric, sounds like I’m about to live your nightmare. I have a 2014 Diesel GC with 65k mi and my engine seized last week. Was towing my AR210 down to portland when the motor started knocking out of the blue. Within a mile or 2 the motor had completely failed and left me and a friend stranded on the side of I5. Jeep just approved the warranty claim so I’m hopeful things will go smoothly. This is my 5th GC, but honestly this one has tested my patience with the brand. It has been in the shop over 30 times in the 3 and a half years I’ve have had it since I purchased it new. It has blown 3 ECM’s, Front end (rack and pinion) went out this spring, and now this. Like you I have an affinity for GC’s - don’t like anything in their class for usability or styling like I do my Jeep. I’m honestly not sure what to do. On one hand seems as tho everything has been replaced worth replacing aside from the transmission. But on the other side, it is rough not having a vehicle that I can trust. I’ll keep you posted on my experience. I have my fingers crossed my experience is less drawn out and with less irritation than yours. -josh
This sucks. . . . .and happens all too often for the kinda money these vehicles are supposed to command. If you didn't catch these threads from page one, they detail how I dealt with a similar claim.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60674&sid=25b42d0ef2185b936960865cce7be08c

https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-tow-vehicle.1057/

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The EcoDs are known to blow up.... go Hemi if you want reliability.

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good evening. I have a 2015 White Summit with the diesel. I pull a 2016 SX240. I picked up my vessel in O'Fallon Il. in Feb of this year. The temp was 5 degrees. No problem. I drove 900 miles to get the vessel and got 30.8 mph. When towing back home I got 18.5 mpg at 70 mph. The first thing you do with these diesels is to get a Green Engineering Hot Tune. Fixes all the problems that they had except with the DEF Cat. That was a poor design and the one replaced it is doing great. I get 240 HP at the rear wheel and 420 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheel. With the tune I don't have to use DEF fluid and use distilled water in the summer. I Use DEF fluid in the winter because of the freezing temp of the DEF fluid. I also got the trans tune which makes the vehicle completed different. My dealer diesel mech told me to buy another ECU and just change if you need to take back for any major work. So far at 45000 miles I have not had to do that. I just got off of a 7000 miles out west trip from Alabama and got 30.8 mpg. For diesel people the, FCA diesel is a VM Motori Italy motor. It has alot of GM Dur Max design since it was owned 50% by GM until it was sold to FCA in the late 2000's. GM used it in the Caddy's in Europe until they sold. Check out was Banks diesel has done with the engines. The only reason it is not rated to pull 9000 lbs is the size of our Grand Cherokee. Doesn't have the wheel base.
Think you will like it. If it has the Goodyear original tires on it, junk them and get the Michelin Defender LTX. You will be happy.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, my 2015 GC Summit Diesel just shit the bed tonight. I was driving home from work and the engine started to sound a bit louder than normal. The sound reminded me of my dad's old Mercedes 220D. It sounded more "diesel" than normal.

As I got closer to home, the noise proceeded to change to more of a knocking. At this point I was only a mile or so from home. So far, normal temps, no warning lights. As I drove down my street, the engine suddenly stopped and I was able to coast into my driveway. My suspicions about it having seized were proven true when I pushed the start switch...

The car has 45,000+ miles on it. Luckily, I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty from Zurich.

At this point, I am numb to the whole Jeep experience. I will once again be without my car and will be facing a repair that shouldn't have to be made.

More to follow...

Eric

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, my 2015 GC Summit Diesel just shit the bed tonight. I was driving home from work and the engine started to sound a bit louder than normal. The sound reminded me of my dad's old Mercedes 220D. It sounded more "diesel" than normal.

As I got closer to home, the noise proceeded to change to more of a knocking. At this point I was only a mile or so from home. So far, normal temps, no warning lights. As I drove down my street, the engine suddenly stopped and I was able to coast into my driveway. My suspicions about it having seized were proven true when I pushed the start switch...

The car has 45,000+ miles on it. Luckily, I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty from Zurich.

At this point, I am numb to the whole Jeep experience. I will once again be without my car and will be facing a repair that shouldn't have to be made.

More to follow...

Eric
That is nuts!

EDIT: It really upsets me. Do you have any information about how common/uncommon this type of catastrophic failures are with those CHrysler Motori diesels?
I would had been driving one, had they offered those in Durangos with a 3rd row I always need...

--

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’m sorry to hear that. The older EcoDiesels are known to blow, good call on the warranty. I am big mopar guy and can say with confidence I would not feel comfortable buying that motor. However on the other hand I’m on my third and fourth mopar, all with 5.7s.... and only issue since 2008 was a bad power window switch and broken header bolt.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m on my third and fourth mopar, all with 5.7s.... and only issue since 2008 was a bad power window switch and broken header bolt
Not to sound facetious or anything but if you only keep your cars/trucks for 2-3 years anything will do that.
The beauty of diesels is (or rather should be) their longevity, on top of insane torque in relation to fuel economy (and range).
This is just depressing.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not to sound facetious or anything but if you only keep your cars/trucks for 2-3 years anything will do that.
The beauty of diesels is (or rather should be) their longevity, on top of insane torque in relation to fuel economy (and range).
This is just depressing.

--
Well I had my Challenger for five years, Ram for four, and now have a Charger over 2 years and another Ram at 4 months. Just speaking to quality overall of the brand.

Anyways, plenty of guys on the forums with the Eco problems. It is a known issue.... they either blow up under 100k or last forever. It has been a known risk for a few years now. I think they finally fixed it in '17 or '18, but I personally would not risk it until they can get a few years of no issues. On the other hand, lots of people with 3.6 & 5.7s going forever, if you are going FCA... go with the Pentastar or the Hemi. With the price of diesel and the maintenance required over gas, I can't imagine your are saving much, if any money. However the low-end torque is great. Of course, FCA just negated that advantage and some the gas mileage advantages with e-Torque (yet to be seen how reliable that will be).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
and the maintenance required over gas
No. Particularly with an FCA product. Look over 100K miles of ownership, you will spend way more servicing/maintaining/repairing your gasoline engine.

Let alone, resale. A quick look on cargurus tells me I can buy a number of 2014 Ram Laramie gassers for 24K. I'm not touching a 2014 Eco Laramie for under 28K. Diesels make plenty of sense if you look at the whole picture.

I loved my Ram eco. My buddy is also one of the success stories with over 150K on his '14 model as well. I know they have some issues, but I wouldn't be scared of another one - unlike any other FCA product made. Yes, I'm biased and a diesel fanboy, and there's plenty of reasons not to be I'm sure - but maintenance and residual value are huge bonuses to owning one, let alone the torque and mileage.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Curious of break down of expenses?

Gas needs spark plugs every 100k, oil every 10 if using synth, and coolant every 150k. No other repairs should be necessary compared to diesel.

EcoD, needs DEF, fuel filter, and oil every 10k, coolant at 150k and belts at 100k. Oil changes cost significantly more as well.

Don’t get me wrong if it lasts it’s a great motor but the cost savings isn’t there with current gas prices. In resale, there will be, but you also pay more upfront for the engine.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. Particularly with an FCA product. Look over 100K miles of ownership, you will spend way more servicing/maintaining/repairing your gasoline engine.

Let alone, resale. A quick look on cargurus tells me I can buy a number of 2014 Ram Laramie gassers for 24K. I'm not touching a 2014 Eco Laramie for under 28K. Diesels make plenty of sense if you look at the whole picture.

I loved my Ram eco. My buddy is also one of the success stories with over 150K on his '14 model as well. I know they have some issues, but I wouldn't be scared of another one - unlike any other FCA product made. Yes, I'm biased and a diesel fanboy, and there's plenty of reasons not to be I'm sure - but maintenance and residual value are huge bonuses to owning one, let alone the torque and mileage.
I couldn't agree more. Sorry to hear other people are having troubles, but I love my ecodiesel. Just added the integrated electric brake controller to it. I am definitely keeping this one for the long haul. Also, I worked on Chrysler products for six years at a new car dealer, Dodge franchise, sold and serviced A LOT of trucks. 3.6's and Hemi's had/have plenty of their own issues. And when you talk the price of maintenance remember that hemi has two expensive to replace spark plugs per cylinder. Before anyone says it, if you think you're going to leave those plugs in for the whole 100k mile service interval......well, let's just say good luck to ya'. Speaking of which, I can't help but wonder how many of the ecodiesel "issues" are caused by poor maintenance habits. The old 2.7 v6 in the Intrepids (among other) developed a nasty reputation for timing chain issues, but those issues were caused by oil sludging due to improper oil change intervals and/or people using inferior quality oils. There are plenty of properly maintained 2.7's with 100-200k on them with no sign of any problems.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speaking of which, I can't help but wonder how many of the ecodiesel "issues" are caused by poor maintenance habits. The old 2.7 v6 in the Intrepids (among other) developed a nasty reputation for timing chain issues, but those issues were caused by oil sludging due to improper oil change intervals and/or people using inferior quality oils. There are plenty of properly maintained 2.7's with 100-200k on them with no sign of any problems.
I was wondering the same thing. With my former 3.0 TDI (which I had to give up) I was changing oil... every 3-5k, which I know is crazy and excessive but I loved the damn car too much to take any chances.... And the oil always looked black freaking me out, which I realize was all probably just fairly harmless carbon (?) recycled by EGR/whatever but again, I just wanted to take no chances. Those new eco-diesels run super hot as I understand it, part of being Eco-friendly is to burn to completion - meaning very high temps are desirable, I believe it is somewhere around 2,000 deg, and the "ash-less" oil does not help.
Anyhow - just a huge bummer for the OP.

As a side note, I love my new landcruiser but the range is atrocious... Coming from a TDI with 600+ mile range to something like... 250 is a hard adjustment.

--