1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Jeep GC Summit Diesel

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs, Trailers and other things with Wheels' started by Eric Popper, Jun 2, 2015.

1. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Did a little math to verify this. The results surprised me..

150k miles driven. Gas gets 16.2mpg. Diesel gets 24.30mpg. 87 octane costs $2.28/gal. Diesel costs $3.29/gal

Cost for diesel in fuel = $20308.64
    Cost for gas in fuel = $21111.11

Over 150k miles you'll spend $561.88 more in gas than diesel. I really thought that would lean more towards the diesel.

mpg numbers pulled from 2014 model year Jeep Grand Cherokee using the site Fuelly.com
    fuel prices pulled from gasbuddy.com for my area.

*EDIT*....updating for Jeep fuel numbers

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sbrown

Sbrown Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +654 / 3
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    On the funny side......one good aspect of all this "Ecodiesels Suck" rhetoric is, you don't really hear all the crying about Chrysler transmission quality too much anymore.[flag]:winkingthumbsup"

3. veedubtek

veedubtek Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,290 / 58
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Jet Ski
    Boat Length:
    PWC
    Does the Jeep GCED kill mileage that much? I got 33mpg regularly out of my Ram ED. My buddy has a 2wd and gets 36 daily. Highway numbers, but still.

4. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    GCED?!?!? Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel?!?!

The Fuelly Ram 1500 Crew Cab numbers are worse! 2015 Crew Cab RAm 1500 - 22.7 Diesel - 15.4 Gas (5.7V8)...When you use those numbers, you actually spend $10 more over 150k miles for the diesel fuel over the gas.

I pulled the years with the highest number of miles tracked, hoping that would eliminate any potential skew from modified vehicles, as well as erroneous inputs. Those are crowd sourced numbers, so no telling how those vehicles are being driven, or how accurately the numbers are being entered. Still you seeing 36 from a Ram and the crowd (with over 8.4mil miles tracked) is seeing 22 is a pretty big disparity.

5. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    That's hilarious.

We looked at a '16 Durango R/T awhile back. The only reason I considered it was because it was a Daimler Chassis with a ZF trans. GM Transmissions aren't great, but Dodge/Ram transmissions are worse :D :D

6. bronze_10

bronze_10 Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,745 / 69
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I have both dodge and ford as i hve mentioned before. Two durangos.. an 05 with the 5.7 and a 12 with the v6... both going strong. The v6 had the head mess up but was covered ubdee warrant.. i guess it was a known defect . The 05 5.7 i had to put a ac compressor on it and a thermostat recently.. but thats it.

My ford is a diesel. I bought one before the regen and def crab was put in place.

7. veedubtek

Ratings:
    +3,290 / 58
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Jet Ski
    Boat Length:
    PWC
    Yes?!?!?!?! lol

That's insane. Mine was 4x4 crew cab, I did better than 22.7 towing both my skis with a full load of gear and people for bimini 2016. My buddy gettin 36 has extended cab 2wd. Does 160 miles a day, and says it's quite consistent. Mine would do 14.7 pulling the 242 most times, that was it's worst.

There again - looking at fuelly. I see 38.6 avg for 2015 Audi A3 TDI. I've never (hand calculated) less than 48 per tank. I average 54 (even before I did the manual transmission swap). It also shows 23 average for 2015 Porsche CD, which is way closer, but still way low. I'm calculating 31 avg, but not uncommon at all to get 33/34. I kinda doubt I drive better than everyone else in the world, and certainly don't hyper-mile.

And...looking into detailed vehicle list, alot of gassers are falling into the diesel category. I'm not surprised. That certainly makes more sense.

8. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I suspect the crowd sourced data on fuelly is the culprit in the discrepancies. Wish I knew of a better source for real world data outside of anecdotal accounts.

Oh yea....manual swap in an A3. Wish I knew you when the Tiptronic in my 2006 A4 failed. Would've kept that car if I thought a manual swap was legitimately possible without breaking the bank.

9. veedubtek

Ratings:
    +3,290 / 58
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Jet Ski
    Boat Length:
    PWC
    I did an 06 A4 convertible a few months back (CVT). Was a cool project, but considerably easier as at least the sedan was offered in a manual. $4500-ish retail, but you know a guy. ;)

10. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Yea, we had the Tiptronic in the Sedan. Was quoted $6k, $4k, and $4.5k from 3 reputable shops and the dealer to "replace" the trans. None of them would sell me the speed sensor internally that needed replaced. I found it online for $65, but couldn't find a manual for the trans to replace it myself. None of the local shops could get to a manual trans swap without waiting months and paying about the same amount. Car had 185k or so miles on it and was only worth $4k.......Anywho, would've been nice to keep that thing. It was a good car.

Back to our regularly scheduled jeep thread :D :D

11. Speedling

Speedling Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,601 / 33
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SS
    Boat Length:
    Been searching the interwebs on info of the various trucks erc. The diesel stuff is interesting. Bummer about the dodge stuff.
    I had an 08 dakota with 4.7 v8. It died of transmission issues. That was when i had the exciter 270. I ended up towing with my wife's sante fe.
    It all left a foul taste for mopar sadly.
    I am sitting in my 04 f150 with the 5.4. I have 150k miles and the last 50k has had the cam phaser tick. May end up being a 2k fix. Waiting for tax return because shop guy says if it was due to bad oil pressure it may need heads.
    Been reliable as can be possible. Looking at new trucks due to some of the suspension etc that is regular wear and tear for a work truck on rough sites. It all looks to be adding up quick! My budget doesn't allow for a newtruck but if this one is going to start costingit may be time.
    The vw diesels and audi looked cool but i think i need a truck bed.

12. Beachbummer

Beachbummer Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +664 / 9
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    In my opinion,a real quality of vehicle build is zero-very minor repairs up to 80-100K expected something minor to 120K, perhaps at 120k or higher it may ask for something more. Our 2008 Honda Pilot is at 160k and has had the alternator and harmonic balancer replaced. (Also shocks and struts and a CV shaft boot tore at 150k). After poor reliability from a V8 High Output Quadra Trac GC in early 2000s(It was in love with the shop, every 10K miles it was something), We switched to the pilot, and it has been a dream reliability wise. Picking the winners is tough, but that 2003 Grand Cherokee was not it for us. The Pilot is borderline for towing the SX230, but with Airbags and the fact that we tow very little, it does all right. I've been looking for a replacement, but it runs so well, I think we'll keep it another year for use, maybe 2 more...who knows.

13. 2kwik4u

2kwik4u Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +833 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    My 2003 Yukon was that way. It just ran. I did VERY little to that truck over the 4 or 5 years I owned it. I think I put intake gaskets, a blower motor resistor, and a wheel bearing on it. Was a great vehicle for us, until I started driving 150 miles a day, and 15mpg was emptying our pockets faster than the work I was doing would fill them up.

Really hoping my '15 Sierra does the same for me.

14. Beachbummer

Beachbummer Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +664 / 9
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Except for the part about killing your wallet with the fuel expense :). Best of luck!