• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Jeep GC Summit Diesel

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
....... but the cost savings isn’t there with current gas prices.
Did a little math to verify this. The results surprised me..

150k miles driven. Gas gets 16.2mpg. Diesel gets 24.30mpg. 87 octane costs $2.28/gal. Diesel costs $3.29/gal

Cost for diesel in fuel = $20308.64
Cost for gas in fuel = $21111.11

Over 150k miles you'll spend $561.88 more in gas than diesel. I really thought that would lean more towards the diesel.

mpg numbers pulled from 2014 model year Jeep Grand Cherokee using the site Fuelly.com
fuel prices pulled from gasbuddy.com for my area.

*EDIT*....updating for Jeep fuel numbers

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the funny side......one good aspect of all this "Ecodiesels Suck" rhetoric is, you don't really hear all the crying about Chrysler transmission quality too much anymore.[flag]:winkingthumbsup"

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the Jeep GCED kill mileage that much? I got 33mpg regularly out of my Ram ED. My buddy has a 2wd and gets 36 daily. Highway numbers, but still.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the Jeep GCED kill mileage that much? I got 33mpg regularly out of my Ram ED. My buddy has a 2wd and gets 36 daily. Highway numbers, but still.
GCED?!?!? Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel?!?!

The Fuelly Ram 1500 Crew Cab numbers are worse! 2015 Crew Cab RAm 1500 - 22.7 Diesel - 15.4 Gas (5.7V8)...When you use those numbers, you actually spend $10 more over 150k miles for the diesel fuel over the gas.

I pulled the years with the highest number of miles tracked, hoping that would eliminate any potential skew from modified vehicles, as well as erroneous inputs. Those are crowd sourced numbers, so no telling how those vehicles are being driven, or how accurately the numbers are being entered. Still you seeing 36 from a Ram and the crowd (with over 8.4mil miles tracked) is seeing 22 is a pretty big disparity.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the funny side......one good aspect of all this "Ecodiesels Suck" rhetoric is, you don't really hear all the crying about Chrysler transmission quality too much anymore.[flag]:winkingthumbsup"
That's hilarious.

We looked at a '16 Durango R/T awhile back. The only reason I considered it was because it was a Daimler Chassis with a ZF trans. GM Transmissions aren't great, but Dodge/Ram transmissions are worse :D :D

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have both dodge and ford as i hve mentioned before. Two durangos.. an 05 with the 5.7 and a 12 with the v6... both going strong. The v6 had the head mess up but was covered ubdee warrant.. i guess it was a known defect . The 05 5.7 i had to put a ac compressor on it and a thermostat recently.. but thats it.

My ford is a diesel. I bought one before the regen and def crab was put in place.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
GCED?!?!? Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel?!?!

The Fuelly Ram 1500 Crew Cab numbers are worse! 2015 Crew Cab RAm 1500 - 22.7 Diesel - 15.4 Gas (5.7V8)...When you use those numbers, you actually spend $10 more over 150k miles for the diesel fuel over the gas.

I pulled the years with the highest number of miles tracked, hoping that would eliminate any potential skew from modified vehicles, as well as erroneous inputs. Those are crowd sourced numbers, so no telling how those vehicles are being driven, or how accurately the numbers are being entered. Still you seeing 36 from a Ram and the crowd (with over 8.4mil miles tracked) is seeing 22 is a pretty big disparity.
Yes?!?!?!?! lol

That's insane. Mine was 4x4 crew cab, I did better than 22.7 towing both my skis with a full load of gear and people for bimini 2016. My buddy gettin 36 has extended cab 2wd. Does 160 miles a day, and says it's quite consistent. Mine would do 14.7 pulling the 242 most times, that was it's worst.

There again - looking at fuelly. I see 38.6 avg for 2015 Audi A3 TDI. I've never (hand calculated) less than 48 per tank. I average 54 (even before I did the manual transmission swap). It also shows 23 average for 2015 Porsche CD, which is way closer, but still way low. I'm calculating 31 avg, but not uncommon at all to get 33/34. I kinda doubt I drive better than everyone else in the world, and certainly don't hyper-mile.

And...looking into detailed vehicle list, alot of gassers are falling into the diesel category. I'm not surprised. That certainly makes more sense.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes?!?!?!?! lol

That's insane. Mine was 4x4 crew cab, I did better than 22.7 towing both my skis with a full load of gear and people for bimini 2016. My buddy gettin 36 has extended cab 2wd. Does 160 miles a day, and says it's quite consistent. Mine would do 14.7 pulling the 242 most times, that was it's worst.

There again - looking at fuelly. I see 38.6 avg for 2015 Audi A3 TDI. I've never (hand calculated) less than 48 per tank. I average 54 (even before I did the manual transmission swap). It also shows 23 average for 2015 Porsche CD, which is way closer, but still way low. I'm calculating 31 avg, but not uncommon at all to get 33/34. I kinda doubt I drive better than everyone else in the world, and certainly don't hyper-mile.

And...looking into detailed vehicle list, alot of gassers are falling into the diesel category. I'm not surprised. That certainly makes more sense.
I suspect the crowd sourced data on fuelly is the culprit in the discrepancies. Wish I knew of a better source for real world data outside of anecdotal accounts.

Oh yea....manual swap in an A3. Wish I knew you when the Tiptronic in my 2006 A4 failed. Would've kept that car if I thought a manual swap was legitimately possible without breaking the bank.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did an 06 A4 convertible a few months back (CVT). Was a cool project, but considerably easier as at least the sedan was offered in a manual. $4500-ish retail, but you know a guy. ;)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did an 06 A4 convertible a few months back (CVT). Was a cool project, but considerably easier as at least the sedan was offered in a manual. $4500-ish retail, but you know a guy. ;)
Yea, we had the Tiptronic in the Sedan. Was quoted $6k, $4k, and $4.5k from 3 reputable shops and the dealer to "replace" the trans. None of them would sell me the speed sensor internally that needed replaced. I found it online for $65, but couldn't find a manual for the trans to replace it myself. None of the local shops could get to a manual trans swap without waiting months and paying about the same amount. Car had 185k or so miles on it and was only worth $4k.......Anywho, would've been nice to keep that thing. It was a good car.

Back to our regularly scheduled jeep thread :D :D

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Been searching the interwebs on info of the various trucks erc. The diesel stuff is interesting. Bummer about the dodge stuff.
I had an 08 dakota with 4.7 v8. It died of transmission issues. That was when i had the exciter 270. I ended up towing with my wife's sante fe.
It all left a foul taste for mopar sadly.
I am sitting in my 04 f150 with the 5.4. I have 150k miles and the last 50k has had the cam phaser tick. May end up being a 2k fix. Waiting for tax return because shop guy says if it was due to bad oil pressure it may need heads.
Been reliable as can be possible. Looking at new trucks due to some of the suspension etc that is regular wear and tear for a work truck on rough sites. It all looks to be adding up quick! My budget doesn't allow for a newtruck but if this one is going to start costingit may be time.
The vw diesels and audi looked cool but i think i need a truck bed.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my opinion,a real quality of vehicle build is zero-very minor repairs up to 80-100K expected something minor to 120K, perhaps at 120k or higher it may ask for something more. Our 2008 Honda Pilot is at 160k and has had the alternator and harmonic balancer replaced. (Also shocks and struts and a CV shaft boot tore at 150k). After poor reliability from a V8 High Output Quadra Trac GC in early 2000s(It was in love with the shop, every 10K miles it was something), We switched to the pilot, and it has been a dream reliability wise. Picking the winners is tough, but that 2003 Grand Cherokee was not it for us. The Pilot is borderline for towing the SX230, but with Airbags and the fact that we tow very little, it does all right. I've been looking for a replacement, but it runs so well, I think we'll keep it another year for use, maybe 2 more...who knows.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my opinion,a real quality of vehicle build is zero-very minor repairs up to 80-100K expected something minor to 120K, perhaps at 120k or higher it may ask for something more. Our 2008 Honda Pilot is at 160k and has had the alternator and harmonic balancer replaced. (Also shocks and struts and a CV shaft boot tore at 150k). After poor reliability from a V8 High Output Quadra Trac GC in early 2000s(It was in love with the shop, every 10K miles it was something), We switched to the pilot, and it has been a dream reliability wise. Picking the winners is tough, but that 2003 Grand Cherokee was not it for us. The Pilot is borderline for towing the SX230, but with Airbags and the fact that we tow very little, it does all right. I've been looking for a replacement, but it runs so well, I think we'll keep it another year for use, maybe 2 more...who knows.
My 2003 Yukon was that way. It just ran. I did VERY little to that truck over the 4 or 5 years I owned it. I think I put intake gaskets, a blower motor resistor, and a wheel bearing on it. Was a great vehicle for us, until I started driving 150 miles a day, and 15mpg was emptying our pockets faster than the work I was doing would fill them up.

Really hoping my '15 Sierra does the same for me.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Except for the part about killing your wallet with the fuel expense :). Best of luck!

Josh_Seattle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, my 2015 GC Summit Diesel just shit the bed tonight. I was driving home from work and the engine started to sound a bit louder than normal. The sound reminded me of my dad's old Mercedes 220D. It sounded more "diesel" than normal.

As I got closer to home, the noise proceeded to change to more of a knocking. At this point I was only a mile or so from home. So far, normal temps, no warning lights. As I drove down my street, the engine suddenly stopped and I was able to coast into my driveway. My suspicions about it having seized were proven true when I pushed the start switch...

The car has 45,000+ miles on it. Luckily, I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty from Zurich.

At this point, I am numb to the whole Jeep experience. I will once again be without my car and will be facing a repair that shouldn't have to be made.

More to follow...

Eric
Any update on your 2015?

All said and done I was out of my Jeep for
Well, my 2015 GC Summit Diesel just shit the bed tonight. I was driving home from work and the engine started to sound a bit louder than normal. The sound reminded me of my dad's old Mercedes 220D. It sounded more "diesel" than normal.

As I got closer to home, the noise proceeded to change to more of a knocking. At this point I was only a mile or so from home. So far, normal temps, no warning lights. As I drove down my street, the engine suddenly stopped and I was able to coast into my driveway. My suspicions about it having seized were proven true when I pushed the start switch...

The car has 45,000+ miles on it. Luckily, I purchased the 100,000 mile warranty from Zurich.

At this point, I am numb to the whole Jeep experience. I will once again be without my car and will be facing a repair that shouldn't have to be made.

More to follow...

Eric
Any update on your 2015?

Got mine back in November after Jeep had it for 9 or 10 weeks. They gave it back to me 3 different times and each time it was back in the shop within days. Fist time was because they put the old injectors back in so the knock came back. 2nd was the DEF System and Fuel pump failed, likely caused from stress of the motor seizing in service. 3rd was the turbo went bad. But because Chrysler refused to replace everything st once, I had to be put through hell of having major engine component failures post engine replacement. I have no confidence or trust that it will not have major failure again and will get rid of it as soon as the warranty is up. All in Chrysler had over $24k in repairs paid in warranty claims. No idea why they didn’t do a buy back. But I do know I’m done with Jeep.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Eric Popper not to dredge up emotions but curious to know how they've handled this for you,

Josh_Seattle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Eric Popper not to dredge up emotions but curious to know how they've handled this for you,
@Eric Popper

Tell me yours experience was better than this mess...

My motor went out about 3 hrs from my place in Seattle so “Jeep assist” or whatever it’s called towed it to a local dealer in a small down between Seattle and Portland. Originally I thought this was working out as good as could be cause the service bay has me in and motor was shipping from Detroit within 1 business day. Problem was that I think the dealer service tech was in over his head.
*Side story - when the motor blew I was towing my my AR210 to Portland for a weekend with friends; when I called Jeep they said they’d send a tow for the Jeep but wouldn’t cover my boat. Then get to the dealer and they said they only had cherokees (you know the little ones) for loaners and enterprise wouldn’t give me anything to tow with. So although I was pulling the boat out of town with a Jeep product I was on my own to get the boat back to Seattle. Such nonsense.
Anyway, new motor took 3 weeks from day of drop off to when I went back to get the Jeep back. Drove the 3 hrs down and got a mile from the dealer and the knock came back. Was convinced I was going to blow the 2nd motor. Lead tech told me he has to tear it all down again and I was sent back to Seattle in the loner. Week later I got a call that all injectors had to be replaced on a second claim. 4 weeks from break down the GM brought the Jeep back to Seattle. Within 2 hrs of having it back I had turbo flutter and the motor was smoking like I had a bonfire stoked under the hood. So within a cple hrs of having it returned to me from the dealer where it broke down, it was back in the shop locally in Seattle.
Seattle had it for another 3 weeks and replaced the Turbo and what accounted for most of the diesel exhaust system. All in Jeep had over $24k in service bills is what I was told. I also negotiated punitative damages with corporate due to time out of vehicle, which was less than I had wanted but was a few thousand bucks anyway. I also was given a 3 year unlimited mile warranty on the new motor and a warranty extension up to 120,000mi / 5 yr on the rest of the Jeep.

Because they just shipped the failed motor back and didn’t do a complete field taredown I’ll never know true root cause. But from what everyone has posted I’m sure it was that camshaft.

What I can tell you is that make your dealer replaces the injectors, turbo, and motor in the same repair; because when the motor fails in service under load it destroys just about everything.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Think I’ll stick with my 5.0.