• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 LSE Solar Panels Inop

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We bought our 16 242 LSE new in early 2017, and had it on the water nearly every week last summer. Much of the time was spent floating, as by the end of the season it had just shy of 60 hours on it. Other than the Connext ERR issue, losing a couple bolts from the trailer fenders and a cupholder trim ring, and having to replace a poorly crimped speaker cable connector, the boat has been trouble-free.

Due to the oldest kid graduating college in May and the middle child graduating HS the first week of June, we didn't get on the water until a few weeks ago. The first outing was short, as we ended up getting caught in a thunderstorm - very unusual for these parts. The next weekend, after about three hours of floating and listening to tunes, the low battery alarm sounded. I started the engines without issues, so I turned the key off and we floated a bit longer.

We floated for much longer periods last summer without issue, but I figured the house battery must just be a bit low since we had only put a few minutes of run time on the clock the first couple outings, as we didn't have the kids with us to board and tube. And, I may have neglected to put a tender on the batteries over the winter, so the house battery being weak wasn't a surprise.

We spent a few days over the 4th on the lake, and did plenty of boarding, but still ran into low voltage issues on the house battery. I've not done the DVSR mod, so Connext is pretty useless in terms of telling me what's really happening with voltage, but I brought my multimeter so I could do a little troubleshooting. I was able to confirm that the engine charging circuit is working fine, as is the DVSR, but the solar panels weren't putting out nearly what I expected to see. In full sun, at the panels just beyond the diode, I was getting half a volt. Huh?

Once I got home, I pulled the panels off to do a bit more testing. The first thing I noticed was a pretty sub-par job on the wiring, obviously someone was a bit too aggressive when stripping insulation. Not that I haven't done the same thing myself, but I certainly wouldn't have sent it like that.

After getting the panels off and testing them individually, there was no resistance across the terminals, and neither panel was providing any output. However, If I apply pressure to the lower corners of each panel, bending them slightly, they provide 17 VDC, as per spec. Apparently there's an internal connection failure on both panels, which seems rather odd. At first I was thinking that the exposed conductors inside the wiring box had created enough of a short circuit to cause the panel to fail, but given that both panels have the same problem I'm inclined to think there was a problem in production.

My hunch is that the panels have never worked, but given that the battery was fresh last year I just didn't notice. Sure would be nice if Connext provided some real battery info.

I'm assuming I won't have any trouble with a warranty replacement, we'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We bought our 16 242 LSE new in early 2017, and had it on the water nearly every week last summer. Much of the time was spent floating, as by the end of the season it had just shy of 60 hours on it. Other than the Connext ERR issue, losing a couple bolts from the trailer fenders and a cupholder trim ring, and having to replace a poorly crimped speaker cable connector, the boat has been trouble-free.

Due to the oldest kid graduating college in May and the middle child graduating HS the first week of June, we didn't get on the water until a few weeks ago. The first outing was short, as we ended up getting caught in a thunderstorm - very unusual for these parts. The next weekend, after about three hours of floating and listening to tunes, the low battery alarm sounded. I started the engines without issues, so I turned the key off and we floated a bit longer.

We floated for much longer periods last summer without issue, but I figured the house battery must just be a bit low since we had only put a few minutes of run time on the clock the first couple outings, as we didn't have the kids with us to board and tube. And, I may have neglected to put a tender on the batteries over the winter, so the house battery being weak wasn't a surprise.

We spent a few days over the 4th on the lake, and did plenty of boarding, but still ran into low voltage issues on the house battery. I've not done the DVSR mod, so Connext is pretty useless in terms of telling me what's really happening with voltage, but I brought my multimeter so I could do a little troubleshooting. I was able to confirm that the engine charging circuit is working fine, as is the DVSR, but the solar panels weren't putting out nearly what I expected to see. In full sun, at the panels just beyond the diode, I was getting half a volt. Huh?

Once I got home, I pulled the panels off to do a bit more testing. The first thing I noticed was a pretty sub-par job on the wiring, obviously someone was a bit too aggressive when stripping insulation. Not that I haven't done the same thing myself, but I certainly wouldn't have sent it like that.

After getting the panels off and testing them individually, there was no resistance across the terminals, and neither panel was providing any output. However, If I apply pressure to the lower corners of each panel, bending them slightly, they provide 17 VDC, as per spec. Apparently there's an internal connection failure on both panels, which seems rather odd. At first I was thinking that the exposed conductors inside the wiring box had created enough of a short circuit to cause the panel to fail, but given that both panels have the same problem I'm inclined to think there was a problem in production.

My hunch is that the panels have never worked, but given that the battery was fresh last year I just didn't notice. Sure would be nice if Connext provided some real battery info.

I'm assuming I won't have any trouble with a warranty replacement, we'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.
I just got a 2018 and suspect the solar panel isn't doing squat. How can I test this? I'm a noob.

Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
losing a couple bolts from the trailer fenders
You should look into this....there may be a recall on your fenders....my supports were cracked, as were my fenders. Dealer replaced them all for no charge.

I've been tempted to test my solar panels too....I've always wondered if they were charging at all!

After getting the panels off and testing them individually, there was no resistance across the terminals, and neither panel was providing any output.
When you say this....you removed them completely? Any more details on how, and what to do to test them....I've never played with solar panels at all!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What panel type are those ie Mono, Poly, TF? It certainly could be poor panel construction but assuming both panels connect to the same controller then quite possible the cut sheating could have shorted both and melted a solder connection. 2 conductor round wire is more difficult to strip but is no excuse as you just cut back and restrip to make it right. Severing half of each conductor should never be left that way.

My guess is that you may be able to find raw panels in the same size to replace what was there before. Also your batteries may be somewhat less capable after a season of not being charged. It sucks to pull them but worth it with what they cost these days.

Nice DMM BTW Fluke makes good stuff.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

so whatever ended up happening?

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry, I meant to update this thread.

The dealer confirmed that the panels were bad, and ordered replacements (as well as parts to fix the speed ERR message). The replacements arrived while we were on our annual Maine trip in August, so I decided to wait until I was done with the boat for the season to take it back in. Then the end of the season came around, I prepped the boat and put it in the shop for the winter and didn't think about it again. So, I still need to take it back in to have the dealer swap the panels.

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What panel type are those ie Mono, Poly, TF? It certainly could be poor panel construction but assuming both panels connect to the same controller then quite possible the cut sheating could have shorted both and melted a solder connection. 2 conductor round wire is more difficult to strip but is no excuse as you just cut back and restrip to make it right. Severing half of each conductor should never be left that way.

My guess is that you may be able to find raw panels in the same size to replace what was there before. Also your batteries may be somewhat less capable after a season of not being charged. It sucks to pull them but worth it with what they cost these days.

Nice DMM BTW Fluke makes good stuff.
That Fluke has served me well for the last fifteen years or so. I shudder at the thought of having to replace it though.

Specs on the panels are here, looks like they can be had for $180 ea.

I kept the batteries on a tender this winter, and so far so good, even without the panels working.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I keep meaning to test my panels.....perhaps next weekend! I suspect mine aren't charging either...
That's me as well. I highly suspect they are faulty or wiring is off. But then I just want to have fun and tool around on the boat so I don't do anything

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The wiring from the panels runs through the tower on the port side down to the batteries. The easiest place to test is at the connector that is visible where the wire goes through the tower. If you see voltage there, you know that at least one of the panels is working. The most thorough test is in the j-box between the panels on the top of the tower, though, as that way you can check each panel individually.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just checked my panels at the tower plugs port side was 16.4 volts starboard was 0 v checked the continuity and its shorted out . I would think they should both have the same voltage . The battery switches are all set to off . Can someone else with a 16 or 17 e series check to see what they have for voltage readings . Maybe a fuse is blown somewhere a shorted electrical device would usaually burn up and ultimately create an open circuit

Thom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just to clarify, were you checking at the j-box on top of the tower between the panels, or the connectors on each side of the tower? The connector on the port side of the tower is the paralleled (combined) output of both panels. I don't recall what the connector on starboard side is, but I think it's either the tweeters or the LEDs in the tower. If you were testing at the connector on the port side of the tower, the voltage you saw is within spec, so at least one panel is working.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s the plugs just realized the starboard plug must be the light .