• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242X Cobrasteering Super Magnum AK Deluxe and Fang install

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Below is a video with installation instructions for Cobrasteeering on a 2016 242X. I found the directions that came with them confusing and lacking in high resolution images. Hopefully this video will help you install these.

What you will need
Allen wrenches 4, 5, 8mm
Sockets: 10, 12, 13mm
Crescent wrench 10mm

You will end up with 8 parts extra (assuming you also add the extra tie rod).
1 tie bar bolt from the gate
1 tie bar bolt from the rudder
4 bolts from the gate hinge points
2 bolts from the nozzle (the underside bolt)

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Since I installed these there is a 100% noticeable difference in slow speed tracking (which was my primary aim....trolling speed tracking and slow speed driving while watching the fish finder for groups of fish on the bottom). I couldn't be happier. Well...I'd be happier if I was leaving this morning to go to Bimini to use this new improved boat!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Please take note That when I ship orders I send you an email with the tracking number and a large amount of helpful information for the installation.
I also send you color digital copies of the instructions as most people prefer that over the black and white paper instructions sent in the package. In the event that you do not receive a email prior to receiving your system please check your spam folder due to the pictures & instructions that are attachments in the email.
If you do not find them please email me so I can resend them, I also attach any pertinent videos to this email in order to make the installation easier . my instructions advise you to install the bottom plate with NOTHING ATTACHED including the tie-rods so the plates can slide in place easily and accurately as that is very important! This video actually demonstrates why.
If You have the fangs and locking tabs on it first it is very difficult to properly install the base plate as was obvious in this video also the tie rods will get in the way as well.
If the base bolt is installed incorrectly it can come loose and fall out, And I send you thread locking compound to use on the bottom bolt as well as other bolts as he mentioned as this is also important!
So please install the base plate as I have instructed and you will see it is very simple to do correctly. The big flat washer he mentioned is not necessary IF you are installing the mega fang plus upgrade as the locking tabs secure the plate to the nozzle and remove it's free play, otherwise the washer provides a floating bushing and protects the aluminum plate from rubbing on the bottom stainless washer and this is why it floats.
Also I always instruct people to align the nozzles, steering wheel and rudder before doing the install as that is very important in order to produce nice straight high speed tracking. A trick for adding the thread lock to the bottom bolt is once you get the bolt started reach inside the nozzle and put some thread lock in the hole above the bolt so as you tighten the bolt it gets the compound on the threads just a few drops is needed.
I thank Julian for his efforts and his review of the system.

Last edited:

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since I installed these there is a 100% noticeable difference in slow speed tracking (which was my primary aim....trolling speed tracking and slow speed driving while watching the fish finder for groups of fish on the bottom). I couldn't be happier. Well...I'd be happier if I was leaving this morning to go to Bimini to use this new improved boat!!!
Thanks Julian, I now have that on my spring list . Slow speed tracking improvement would be much appreciated, especially when I turn the helm over to one of the grandkids.

Shaddow350

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Below is a video with installation instructions for Cobrasteeering on a 2016 242X. I found the directions that came with them confusing and lacking in high resolution images. Hopefully this video will help you install these.

What you will need
Allen wrenches 4, 5, 8mm
Sockets: 10, 12, 13mm
Crescent wrench 10mm

You will end up with 8 parts extra (assuming you also add the extra tie rod).
1 tie bar bold from the gate
1 tie bar bolt from the rudder
4 bolts from the gate hinge points
2 bolts from the nozzle (the underside bolt)

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Thank you Julian. I have a 2017 242XE. And just bought this set. This video will help me understand since I'm a visual learner vs reading.