• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242 Limited S E Series Slampak

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I really can’t believe how bad the stock stereo is. I guess it’s OK if you are on the swim deck or in the bow but if you’re driving the boat all you can hear are these shitty little tweeters in the tower. Such a weird decision. I really don’t understand what they were thinking.

Anyway, I’d like to upgrade the whole thing to a JL system that works with Connext but I can’t find a kit. I’d like to do one sub, change all the 6.5” speakers add an amp and some tower speakers. Can someone point me in the right direction of a kit with all the stuff I need?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Thanks

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @kinglenario to the forum...this subject has been covered multiple times, everything from towers to amps.

The first step would be to determine the number of speakers you want, then match them with a solid amp.

A few of us run JL speakers and amps and can vouch for them.

My suggestion would be to search around on here a little for some ideas. Those slam packs def make it easy to add sound but have their limitations. If you want a truly killer system then you might want to piece it together. A solid system for your boat would be 8 of the JLMX650s powered by a JL 800/8 amp giving each one 75 rms, then some tower speakers....preferable the M series ie. 880 or 770, and a sub of some sort and then you can run a 5 channel amp, bridge the 4 channels for the towers and run a sub off the 5th.

Once you search around you'll see options and I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@kinglenario, I just went through this weekend on mine, trying to figure out the best route to go. It seems like You'll have to run all new speaker wire if you're trying to run an amp. Yamaha really screwed up the way the wired these things up. Here is a really good thread on it. https://jetboaters.net/threads/proposed-yamaha-242-limited-s-e-series-audio-upgrade.8444/
What I'm doing is running all new Karma SS 16 awg speaker wire from KnuKonceptz, replacing the Polks (because 2 are out and 2 are going out) with JL MX650s and adding 2 more, running them off of a JL 800/8v2 amp this is pretty much the "standard" upgrade on these boats and enough people on here have done it and say it sounds great when finished. You can also get your 0 or 4 awg wire and inline fuse from KnuKonceptz. It kinda sucks that they need to be rewired, but its not too expensive. Also, your head unit (which should be in with the batteries) does have RCA outs so it should be a pretty simple plug and play with just some RCA extensions. For the towers there's plenty of options, another amp and JLs is what everybody seems to love. I have been looking into the wet sounds bar with built in amp as an option as well seems like I'd be less likely to crack my dome on that than I would tower cans.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of threads on stereo upgrades.....you'll definitely want to add some mid cabin speakers to help eliminate the dead spot in the center of the boat:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/easiest-way-to-add-amplify-music-at-the-helm.12049/page-8#post-215420

I also point my sound bar down at the captain's and copilot seats to add even more sound there.

Here is a general thread on upgrades:
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-upgrade-your-stereo-and-speakers.24/
https://jetboaters.net/threads/detailed-2016-242-ls-1k-audio-upgrade.9400/#post-160944
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2017-242x-stereo-upgrade.15296/

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Jaylex has it dead on. Almost identical set up to what we did. Replaced all 6 stock with MX650, added 2 M770 cans on the tower, 10” IB sub in battery compartment (no enclosure needed), and JL 800 amp. Just went back this week to add 2 additional MX650’s at the captain and co-captain chairs because there is definitely a dead spot as @Julian said.

Regardless of what you do, be sure to kill those tweeter speakers in the tower, they suck. First trip out I couldn’t get over the “buzzing” sound they made so I pulled them out and cut the wires and crammed them back in. They’re decorative only now :winkingthumbsup"

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone have a link for the Slampak to buy? Realistically I don't have time to do this myself, I'm on Lake Hartwell in GA so I will probably need to find someone to do the install if anyone has any recommendations.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Jaylex has it dead on. Almost identical set up to what we did. Replaced all 6 stock with MX650, added 2 M770 cans on the tower, 10” IB sub in battery compartment (no enclosure needed), and JL 800 amp. Just went back this week to add 2 additional MX650’s at the captain and co-captain chairs because there is definitely a dead spot as @Julian said.

Regardless of what you do, be sure to kill those tweeter speakers in the tower, they suck. First trip out I couldn’t get over the “buzzing” sound they made so I pulled them out and cut the wires and crammed them back in. They’re decorative only now :winkingthumbsup"

Who thought that putting tweeters with no woofers in the tower was a good idea? That person should be fired.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The slampacks are solid....BUT....it really depends on your expectations.

If you just want music to chill then those would be a great option, but IF you ever wanted to crank it for whatever reason then you might be well served to pieece it together.

I just worked with this company to buy some of the new gear Im installing. This package would get you sounding great...just add subs and towers and your good to go.

Sure it will come out nicely once you determine which direction you want to go...from mild to wild...or somewhere in between.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cool thanks! The links to those Slampaks don't have my year and model but maybe it doesn't matter. That's why I started the thread.

Julian, those mid cabin speakers look amazing but I'm not sure I want to get in that deep myself. It seems like they meant to put those 6.5"s in the sides with the tweets in the tower but forgot. I'll probably try to find someone to do that install.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cool thanks! The links to those Slampaks don't have my year and model but maybe it doesn't matter. That's why I started the thread.

Julian, those mid cabin speakers look amazing but I'm not sure I want to get in that deep myself. It seems like they meant to put those 6.5"s in the sides with the tweets in the tower but forgot. I'll probably try to find someone to do that install.
Yeah the slampacks wont work on out boats without running new speaker wire because of the way the idiots at Yamaha wired the speakers. That being said the link posted above does have good prices assuming that amp is marine rated. I'm going to be doing mine this week (hopefully) I'm now waiting on some more speaker wire to come in and the speakers as well which should ship today or tomorrow from a member here. If you keep your eye out for some decent sales and find someone upgrading, you can piece this together for a reasonable price. As an example, I got my amp from Crutchfield as a "scratch&dent" which means open box for $145 cheaper than the current pricing.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Who thought that putting tweeters with no woofers in the tower was a good idea? That person should be fired.
Seriously. As soon as you add an extra pair in the cockpit, the tower tweeters really shine.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Seriously. As soon as you add an extra pair in the cockpit, the tower tweeters really shine.
I'm sure. Those should have come stock though

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys, I’m installing the JL Audio M800/2. How are you guys pulling the remote (blue wire) signal? Or do you not have to with these amps?

Also are you guys using the RCA outputs from the stock Polk from the front or rear labeled RCA. Not sure I know the difference

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure if the wiring harness on your X is the same as my limited S, but mine had a blue wire in it already for amp turn on. I used the Front RCA output for the amp that runs my in-boat speakers, and the rear RCA output for the amp that runs my towers - that way you can adjust the F/R fade from connext to match what you want as far as intensity. If you're only using one amp, doesn't matter which set you use.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok thanks. Mine is a 2017 Limited S E-Series. The Polk head unit is in the back by the batteries. I found the blue wire there so I will tap into it there. Sounds like a good idea the way you did the RCA outputs, thanks!

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I installed 8 new JL MX650s with all new wiring, 2 x 10” JL subs, an 8 channel JL M800 amp and a JL M400 amp for the subs. I have plans on adding a wetsounds stealth 10 soundbar and 2 tower speakers.

The sound is SO much better already. Adding the 2 x 10” subs to the cooler compartment sounds amazing. Much better than I thought. I wired them in stereo and bridged the M400 amp. Running new wires on this boat was pretty easy. I also added the 2 x 6.5” in the cockpit which is nice.

I’ll upload some pictures once I get everything cleaned up.

Mach

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I installed 8 new JL MX650s with all new wiring, 2 x 10” JL subs, an 8 channel JL M800 amp and a JL M400 amp for the subs. I have plans on adding a wetsounds stealth 10 soundbar and 2 tower speakers.

The sound is SO much better already. Adding the 2 x 10” subs to the cooler compartment sounds amazing. Much better than I thought. I wired them in stereo and bridged the M400 amp. Running new wires on this boat was pretty easy. I also added the 2 x 6.5” in the cockpit which is nice.

I’ll upload some pictures once I get everything cleaned up.

Nice!! What did all that run you $$$?