• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242SE no helm power at all

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Midway through our trip this afternoon connext screen went black and all helm controls died. We were out in the rain so were rushing back. Tried cycling batteries a few times at the dock but no dice.
Screen is off
No buttons work or light up
Engines both start fine
Amp light is on

Is there a fuse to the helm that could have blown? The owners manual only has details on the engine fuses, not any helm ones.
Should the buttons at the helm work even if the connext died for some reason?
Seems crazy to lose safety items (horn, nav lights) if just the screen dies.

There is a small black box near the batteries that has a 20amp fuse that is likely the cause.

In my boat they are in the black box below (with the yellow arrow pointing at it). On other boats they'll be in a smaller black water proof fuse container near the battery.

1628112993032.png

There is a small black box near the batteries that has a 20amp fuse that is likely the cause.

In my boat they are in the black box below (with the yellow arrow pointing at it). On other boats they'll be in a smaller black water proof fuse container near the battery.

View attachment 159172
Thanks I’ll take a look tomorrow! Are they standard size fuses do you know?

They are standard sizes....and I think there are spares in there too.
Well that’s definitely what it was. It’s 4 20A fuses in there and one of them was blown. However, it’s popping as soon as I turn the house battery on.
Ive disconnected basically everything that I can from behind the helm but it’s still popping as soon as that battery is flipped on.
The only thing that doesn’t have a connection is the usb/aux port it’s hard wired.
Everything else is disconnected….

Well that’s definitely what it was. It’s 4 20A fuses in there and one of them was blown. However, it’s popping as soon as I turn the house battery on.
Ive disconnected basically everything that I can from behind the helm but it’s still popping as soon as that battery is flipped on.
The only thing that doesn’t have a connection is the usb/aux port it’s hard wired.
Did you use an inflator on an outlet anywhere? This is typically what causes things to blow. If so, I would disconnect that power adapter in case it is damaged....or look at the wires to that adapter to see if they are damaged.

I found the disconnect for the usb and that’s disconnected now too. Is there anything else that would be part of this circuit? All my other accessories that are wired to the switch directly work fine. It’s just the harness of wires that goes into that fuse block but nothing is labeled.

Did you use an inflator on an outlet anywhere? This is typically what causes things to blow. If so, I would disconnect that power adapter in case it is damaged....or look at the wires to that adapter to see if they are damaged.
I do, I usually use it at the helm. But I have disconnected that.

But everything died as we were running, we weren’t using an inflator at that time. It was raining pretty hard. There is a 5v usb charger at the cocaptain chair but I have no idea how to get behind here to disconnect it..

image.jpg

Wow found it…..3 screws for a panel in the head…
image.jpg

Reached behind and pulled the wires off the usb. Turned switch on and
FUSE DIDNT BLOW!!

Now time to reassemble behind the helm!

All good! Thanks @Julian for the idea of the checking the ports. Pretty stupid idea to put a elements exposed usb charger port on the same circuit as your critical boat systems.
Leaving it totally disconnected for now until I can get a new one and I’ll wire it directly to my sub panel on its own fuse.

and PS you absolutely need all 4 of those 20A fuses or you get really weird shit on your connext like your fuel is overfilled lol. There were no extras I burned 6 trying to find the culprit so I had to go get more.
Edit: theyre ATM size fuses

Last edited:
All good! Thanks @Julian for the idea of the checking the ports. Pretty stupid idea to put a elements exposed usb charger port on the same circuit as your critical boat systems.
Leaving it totally disconnected for now until I can get a new one and I’ll wire it directly to my sub panel on its own fuse.

and PS you absolutely need all 4 of those 20A fuses or you get really weird shit on your connext like your fuel is overfilled lol. There were no extras I burned 6 trying to find the culprit so I had to go get more.
Edit: theyre ATM size fuses
Did you take apart the USB port to see if its corroded or something else causing it to short circuit.

E
Did you take apart the USB port to see if its corroded or something else causing it to short circuit.
It did look a bit corroded, but I still have it in place on the boat so there’s not just a hole there. Once I get the new one and replace it I’ll pull it apart.

E

It did look a bit corroded, but I still have it in place on the boat so there’s not just a hole there. Once I get the new one and replace it I’ll pull it apart.
Cool, thanks. Interested in what you find. I haven't had a need to use them yet, but I'm concerned about corrosion with them.

Back