• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Gut Busters - Weight Loss Challenge

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, here it is January of a new year ..... again!

Do we have any interest in a formal Challenge, this year? Or, is a thread post for positive reinforcement and mutual commiseration good enough?

If anyone wants to go ahead and post up actual weights, then I'll create a thread in the Weight Loss Forum - where you actually have to join the group to gain access. That way the random crawlers and non-members can't see the more personal info.

@OperationROL (I know you got that new Slingshot board for Christmas... better make sure you're in shape this summer!) ;) (and you mentioned interest in a thread for this year)
@Speedling (you mentioned in last year's thread that you might be in for 2020)
@2kwik4u (mentioned wanting a new thread)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not really interested in a formal challenge, but I wouldn't mind joining a group to share and offer encouragement.

My wife and I started following Whole30 on Jan 6. Basically, 30 days of no sugar, no grain, no alcohol, no processed foods. She's been wanting to do it for a long time, and finally pulled the trigger, and I knew I wanted to do something and am going along with it. :) Since she preps most of the food in the house, it's just easier.

I was nervous at first, but we've completed the first week and it really hasn't been that bad. Missing my popcorn and M&M's at night a bit. But, I'm discovering the trick to that is to just go to bed and avoid the late night munchies. Been eating a lot of grilled chicken, and salads. But, baked potatoes are ok and veggies... just no butter or sauces (dressing) with sugars.

The next challenge is to get myself moving a bit more. Rode the stationary bike 3 days last week (40 minutes each). I have to get up at 5AM in order to get that done... and that's still a bit of a chore for me. Just no time in the evenings to get it in with helping the kids with homework, etc.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been on a major weight loss effort. Started at 208, and hit 193.5 last week (then celebrated too much on the weekend! Lol)

Trying to hit 185!

Just exercising more and watching portions.
Wow, that's great! Nearly there! Especially tough with all of your travel.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @BigAbe75 count me in if u do decide to do this. I’ve struggled with obesity my whole life, we Hawaiians LOVE to eat lol.🤙🏽

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the new thread. I weighed this morning back down to 225.8......At least I'm consistent. Literally two years I've been hovering around this weight.

I have two giant concerns. Belly fat, and a big feeling of malaise (linked because I just learned this word myself a few weeks ago). I really don't care about the number on the scale if I feel and look better. I could weigh 350lbs, so long as my belly fat goes away and I'm not so dang run down all the time.

My dad has a GIANT belly. The rest of him is still somewhat slender, but he's serious hiding a beach ball under his shirt. Legs and arms are still "normal" so it's not really a "traditional obese" look. Probably sounds crass, but I'm sure how else to describe it. I'm starting to develop the same shape and need to nip it in the bud. Of course there are all the studies out there that point at how much of an indicator of health problems belly fat is. I really really need to avoid that pitfal if I want to be around to see my youngest graduate (I'll be 40 this year, and he'll be 2).

The second concern is that malaise feeling. We have a finished basement that our boys play in a lot. I'm winded after a single flight of steps, and it takes far too long to recover. With an 8yr old and an almost 2yr old. I need to make sure I'm not just around, but I can anticipate in activities with them. Running/jumping/playing, Nerf wars in the back yard, bicycle rides through the park, soccer practice buddy, things of that nature. As a guy that was 175-180lbs and completed a 1,400mi bicycle trip just weeks before my oldest was born, this is very troubling for me. I was a wrestler in high school, then in college I ran a little bit and picked up cycling. College didn't stick and I worked in construction for quite some time and rode the bike as well. I can remember weeks were I had 300+ miles on the bike outdoors after a 50hr week on the jobsite. I was in SIGNIFICANTLY better shape overall.......I want back to that place.

So I need a plan right? What am I going to do to change my habits, patterns, and lifestyle to get back to a place of good fitness?

Step 1 has been to ride the bicycle every single day. Might do 20 minutes to just say I did it. Might ride an hour if I'm feeling good about it. I have a really nice road bike, and a set of rollers setup in the basement. Haven't ridden outside this year, but I've been on the bike every single day. Going to attempt to keep this trend going all year, although I'm sure I'll miss a day here or there. Currently I'm attempting to simple "not die" while riding. As my fitness improves I'll be adding in interval training to build lung capacity. I used to do this when I was riding outdoors a lot and I think it helped with a general feeling of fitness.

Step 2 has been to go through an app simply named "lose Weight". It has a routine of about a 10-15min, mapped out on a calender. Excercises are somewhat varied, require no special equipment, and are something I can do before work, or in the evening as time permits. I haven't been super diligent with this, but need to really make it a priority. I think this is where the belly fat will go away if I stick with it.

Step 3 has been some "cold turkey" changes in diet. I hate the process of counting calories, and general nutrition checking. Clearly I'm not good at it, it seems like a pain to me, and I'm always annoyed by it, so I'm not going to do it. Instead I'm simply cutting out some things that I know are REALLY bad for me (like soft drinks, alcohol, sweet tea, fried and fatty items), and doing portion control. This is clearly NOT the best way to do it, but I love food, and have tried other ways without great results, so I'm going to give this a try. I'm somewhat leaning on the "I used to eat like a horse and weighed nothing because I just burned it all off during the day" mentality here. We'll see if it works or not, my guess is it's not going to do me any favors.

Anywho, there's the plan. Now I just need someone to yell at me when I feel like not doing something. Who wants to follow me around with a stick and wack me on the head when I pickup a soft drink or go for a bowl of ice cream?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I need ( and I am ) to get on this wagon. 2 years ago I was running a 5k everyday on the treadmill in 23 minutes and I felt great! I almost got down to 185 but the muscle tone was coming back. Now i have lost everything I worked for and then some. I need to change. Stepped on the scale the other day and was 207 :mad:.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, here it is January of a new year ..... again!

Do we have any interest in a formal Challenge, this year? Or, is a thread post for positive reinforcement and mutual commiseration good enough?

If anyone wants to go ahead and post up actual weights, then I'll create a thread in the Weight Loss Forum - where you actually have to join the group to gain access. That way the random crawlers and non-members can't see the more personal info.

@OperationROL (I know you got that new Slingshot board for Christmas... better make sure you're in shape this summer!) ;) (and you mentioned interest in a thread for this year)
@Speedling (you mentioned in last year's thread that you might be in for 2020)
@2kwik4u (mentioned wanting a new thread)

Anyone else have any thoughts?
I can play, no monies though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd always been able to eat anything and not gain weight, then at some point that changed and I didnt notice! Lol. So much like @jcyamaharider I hit 208 and wasn't happy with myself.

So I decided to exercise every day. My goal is to always hit 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes I cant, but with that as a target I'm losing weight and feeling better....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So weigh ins right here or pm?
219.4 and 19.4% bodyfat. Christmas and new years was fun!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'd be in for some motivation. I'm starting to develop the same belly fat condition that @2kwik4u described, just like my father, who passed away 5 years ago in his 60s from weight related issues.

To be totally honest, I just enjoy food. I don't eat sweets, I've just never enjoyed sugar much. Don't drink soft drinks, just water or tea. But I do enjoy a good hard cider, which I'm going to try not to give up. I'll exercise a few extra minutes I guess. ;)

I've noticed that I get winded alot faster than I did even just 6 months ago. I don't feel I'm too far gone, but getting it under control before I get there would be nice. I've got a nice magnetic rowing machine that honestly hasn't seen much use since I bought it last spring. (It's been dusted more times than I've used it.)

227lbs - don't know body fat%

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
225 now it creeps up I got to drop, 40 would be good.
@Liveto99 I hear ya man! After retirement, I crept up to 225 lbs as well. I have been working out daily (17 days straight now) and doing keto to shed the fat. Trying to get to 180 lbs before going back to a non limiting but portion controlled diet from there. As of this am's workout @ 0430hrs, I am down to 207.
20200115_044328.jpg

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Liveto99 I hear ya man! After retirement, I crept up to 225 lbs as well. I have been working out daily (17 days straight now) and doing keto to shed the fat. Trying to get to 180 lbs before going back to a non limiting but portion controlled diet from there. As of this am's workout @ 0430hrs, I am down to 207.
View attachment 110266
Good going. I have to remember to try harder! And work out.

Attachments

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m in. Started my effort first week of December after I stepped on the scale at 235. Down to 217 now, but trying to get to 180...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Perhaps sharing step counts would also help????? I know that one motivational factor for me has been our company's use of VirginPulse. My minimum goal is 7000 per day with 10,000 as ideal (Clearly I haven't traveled in January as that is when I fail):

1579198329310.png

Here is December....see when I traveled for the holidays (first week of Dec-company trip to Israel, Xmas-drove to Fl)?
1579198427882.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Perhaps sharing step counts would also help????? I know that one motivational factor for me has been our company's use of VirginPulse. My minimum goal is 7000 per day with 10,000 as ideal (Clearly I haven't traveled in January as that is when I fail):

View attachment 110323

Here is December....see when I traveled for the holidays (first week of Dec-company trip to Israel, Xmas-drove to Fl)?
View attachment 110324
I get over 10,000 on average day working outside

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_20200116-124144_Samsung Health.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 110323

View attachment 110324
Steps don't work for me. My retirement job has me sitting in front of a computer (actually 4 of them with 11 monitors) for 12 hours/ day. 7 days on, 7 days off. My schedule is bonkers, but I love the 7 days off every other week. I sit in a secure room w/ limited access and pretty much only get up for meal and bathroom breaks.... I get up early and work out daily at 0430hrs (when working) and get up around 0630hrs on my weeks off.

The main goal is get some exercise daily. Control my portions and choose healthier options.

BTW..... I'm down 2 more easy ones. from yesterday.... 206 lbs and dropping... When I first began this journey, getting to 180 lbs and losing 44 lbs seemed out of reach..... Being disciplined and consistent has proved to be the key. I'm almost half way there. 🤘😊