• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEW MODEL INFO 2021 Yamaha 255XD Walkthrough Video

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm surprised you only hit $95K. Trailer? Probably has a top speed of 40mph too? Nice boats....but so focused on wake sports its not for me.
Agreed - top speed of maybe 35mph. And no trailer. To each their own - I just wish I could have BOTH.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its interesting how individuals have their needs.....
1) My wife wouldn't get a new Yamaha without her OWN captains chair
2) Assume you mean the small front seat removable cushion area...yeah...that does waste storage space.
3) I think this is a good way to give people choice for a cheaper boat - would be nice if they'd offer it as a dealer upgrade if you wanted it. This is something they don't do much of.
4) Wont ever have a garage for my boat....
5) I'm conflicted on the transom height....gonna have to sit on it. I DO like the deep wet storage where the clean out are....you can get fenders in there.
6) Seating seems similar to me.
7) Yeah....not crazy about the dash either. I do like that they've gone back to hard switches
8) LOVE the bigger tank!
Yamaha should try to offer more flexible designs.

1) Don't understand why the captains chair needs to be on a pedestal. Carry the port rear storage space forward to just under the captains chair and mount the chair directly on that and on a slide. Maybe move the glovebox, etc over to the port side wall and design the chair so that it can be rotated 180 (armrests flipped up) and adjusted to always be rearward facing and up against the head and making best use of all that space and still access the glovebox in the side wall. I'm suer there is a solution that can appeal to more, Yamaha just doesn't seem interested in solving it. For all the wakesurfing stuff Yamaha keeps chasing, I can't remember the last wakesurf boat I saw with a captain's chair. Captains chair are so yesterday. There are now better quality convertible designs I've seen on other boats that are way better than the old style I have on my 230 (and that has been rear facing since the day I got it)
4) And yet, if it did drop down low, while you wouldn't need it and it wouldn't affect you, others could benefit from it, and Yamaha could better cater to a wider audience.
7) I didn't see any switches. From video looks like everything is touch. Aaaargghh. What's interesting is the FSH model with the same two engines, a TON of good old fashioned switches.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If Yamaha really wanted to make a dent in the wake boat market they should have designed a no nonsense boat with out all of the bling that put out a great wave and at a price point that would have drawn some attention. People that are really into surfing and wakeboarding won't even give this boat a look at 93K. Wake boat guys could care less about speed, sure this thing can do 55MPH and it's going to burn through a lot of gas, so how often will you really want to go full throttle? They needlessly outfitted this boat with all of the fancy screens and controls to try an compete with the high end wake boats. No one but Yamaha fan boys are going to think about buying this thing. If I wanted a large wake boat there are way more options for around the same price.
I think Yamaha's knows their real target market. They're after the family "surfable" boat market. I think they find themselves competing more in the range of the surfable Volvo forward facing drive model boats then they do actual surf boats. Also competing to stay on top of the jetboat market. I'd that's the goal, it competes very well. The questions are:
  1. Where do you add the extra ballast?
  2. Is the wave produced by the automatic WakeBooster better than the WakeBooster attachment?
  3. Are Wake Wedge folks going to convert?
    • I don't know that I be willing to trade down
I really like a lot of things about the boat, even the new lounges. I still have a few reservations...

On a side note: Anyone catch a sneak preview of the new Slingshot Boss Hoss wakesurf board being shown as an accessory? Slingshot hasn't revealed it yet. All I've been told do fast is
"The ‘Boss Hoss’ is once again a FIRST!
A NEW Category of Wakesurfing boards designed to make wakesurfing easier for larger riders or boats with smaller wakes."​
It should hit the market on 10/6/2020, but we should get all the info released by the end of the month.
Screenshot_20200812-130406_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200812-131038_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200812-130932_Chrome.jpg

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Do we think the 255XDs are going to get the swim up seating as an option or are the automatic wake gates in the way? Also what about the freshwater shower. Was originally interested in the 252SD, but it looks like the only interior color is the teak/brown?? Wife hates that - which means potentially moving to the 255XD for nothing other than color scheme! Ha! Would suck to have to give up the underwater seating though.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do we think the 255XDs are going to get the swim up seating as an option or are the automatic wake gates in the way? Also what about the freshwater shower. Was originally interested in the 252SD, but it looks like the only interior color is the teak/brown?? Wife hates that - which means potentially moving to the 255XD for nothing other than color scheme! Ha! Would suck to have to give up the underwater seating though.
I don't see the backets on their boat or where they'd fit them....but often these boats are pre production models:

1597261324196.png

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I don't see the backets on their boat or where they'd fit them....but often these boats are pre production models:

View attachment 130073
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The 255 aesthetically just looks SO much better than the 252. I hate to give up the seats, but I think the 255XD will be the winner.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

View attachment 130073
Thoughts:
1) Looks like the rudder has a new design and also looks to be a fiber material?
2) Relocation of the scupper and wet storage drain
3) Metal drain plug!
4) In this picture it looks like there might be different settings for wakebooster deployment...
5) I see these wakeboosters have a flat face (compared to the curved 24' attachable versions) along with a little extra tab to the outside...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thoughts:
1) Looks like the rudder has a new design and also looks to be a fiber material?
2) Relocation of the scupper and wet storage drain
3) Metal drain plug!
4) In this picture it looks like there might be different settings for wakebooster deployment...
5) I see these wakeboosters have a flat face (compared to the curved 24' attachable versions) along with a little extra tab to the outside...
1) Yeah...rudder does look different....longer and different material.
2) Scupper is higher....BUT still PLASTIC!!!
3) Metal drain plugs throughout the whole line up
4) Very little info on how the booster works.
5) yes...totally different than the booster...

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think Yamaha did a pretty good job with the 255XD. People that are really into surfing will never or should never buy a jet boat. The Yamaha is the ultimate fun boat for the price. And they are trying to add a decent surf wave to their awesome all-around boat. As far as the captain chairs go my wife would agree with Julians. She need's her own chair and space. We bought the boat and don't need to be sandwiched next to everyone like in a dedicated wake boat. The U seating was designed to get as many people in the boat as possible to make the wake as big as possible. Yes, it makes more storage but in new wake boats there is more storage than you can fill with the sub floor ballast. Yamaha should have put the ballast below the floor. That would free up more room than dumping the passenger chair. Modern wake boats don't even need much ballast these days with the boats weighing so much more and the displacement hull design. I wish they would put a stern thruster on at a minimum. Bow and stern would be so awesome. High end wake boats come with the stern thruster now. You can buy a new Moomba for the same price and get a better wake and surf experience, but I don't think it would make it to Bimini, have the room, the speed or HP. Its a budget boat at $100K. My dream boat would be a new Nautique G25 Paragon. They are $350K just to give you a little taste of how crazy boat prices are these days. Yamaha will sell them like ice cream on a hot day. Will it be my next boat? maybe, but I got everyone surfing this year and will probably get a dedicated wake boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think Yamaha did a pretty good job with the 255XD. People that are really into surfing will never or should never buy a jet boat. The Yamaha is the ultimate fun boat for the price. And they are trying to add a decent surf wave to their awesome all-around boat. As far as the captain chairs go my wife would agree with Julians. She need's her own chair and space. We bought the boat and don't need to be sandwiched next to everyone like in a dedicated wake boat. The U seating was designed to get as many people in the boat as possible to make the wake as big as possible. Yes, it makes more storage but in new wake boats there is more storage than you can fill with the sub floor ballast. Yamaha should have put the ballast below the floor. That would free up more room than dumping the passenger chair. Modern wake boats don't even need much ballast these days with the boats weighing so much more and the displacement hull design. I wish they would put a stern thruster on at a minimum. Bow and stern would be so awesome. High end wake boats come with the stern thruster now. You can buy a new Moomba for the same price and get a better wake and surf experience, but I don't think it would make it to Bimini, have the room, the speed or HP. Its a budget boat at $100K. My dream boat would be a new Nautique G25 Paragon. They are $350K just to give you a little taste of how crazy boat prices are these days. Yamaha will sell them like ice cream on a hot day. Will it be my next boat? maybe, but I got everyone surfing this year and will probably get a dedicated wake boat.
That Nautique G25 Paragon is a dream boat... that or the Pavati! I joined a bunch of tow boat brand groups on FB - interesting to know how many issues these hand made boats have RIGHT from the factory. Makes Yamaha look really reliable! For instance, Nautiques have/had an issue where the driveshafts would just snap! No warning or "happens about this amount of hours" - just snap, prop and shaft sink, and your 150k boat is dead in the water. Supra's seem to have a lot of engine issues - seems to be common to "just replace the engine, it's only 5k" when they're out of warranty. DAMN!

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Paviti is very cool. I have seen one in real life and they do kinda look hand built. I love the bow and stern thrusters with the dock hold. I think all boats should have it. But I have watched tons of videos and Pavati claims the biggest and tallest wake. It sure isn’t the best wake though. That probably goes to the G23. That’s why I would pass on the Pavati.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess the point is that they aren't trying to go head to head with Wake boats. They are trying to build a well rounded boat that can do multiple things - like drive to Bimini, hang out behind and socialize, tow kids tubing, wake sports for amateurs, look fancy and is roomy and comfy. For some....going fast is important. I don't think it will be their top seller by any means, but it will fill a niche for them.
I think we have Yamaha goggles on sometimes. I'm around a lot of wake boats at the lake at concerts, party cove, etc., and they have kids (you and old) hang out behind the boat, tow kids tubing, have more room and and storage for boards, quality interior, etc. You could make some points on reliability, but even yamaha has problems, speed maybe some points. If you call yourself an ultimate wakesurfing boat without rival, and you are in the $100K range, then you put yourself head to head with the market...albeit perhaps lower end of the market. They will sell though with Yamaha enthusiasts and folks that will be happy with the wave it produces, but I think having the view that the newer wake boats aren't an all around boat is a stale view. Different and pros and cons no doubt.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The thing that would push me to buy this boat over a dedicated wake boat is that ol chestnut of a prop. I'm scared of that thing. For some reason props scare the beejeezus out of me

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The Paviti is very cool. I have seen one in real life and they do kinda look hand built. I love the bow and stern thrusters with the dock hold. I think all boats should have it. But I have watched tons of videos and Pavati claims the biggest and tallest wake. It sure isn’t the best wake though. That probably goes to the G23. That’s why I would pass on the Pavati.
From what I've read, the wake wave KING are the Centurion boats.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think we have Yamaha goggles on sometimes. I'm around a lot of wake boats at the lake at concerts, party cove, etc., and they have kids (you and old) hang out behind the boat, tow kids tubing, have more room and and storage for boards, quality interior, etc. You could make some points on reliability, but even yamaha has problems, speed maybe some points. If you call yourself an ultimate wakesurfing boat without rival, and you are in the $100K range, then you put yourself head to head with the market...albeit perhaps lower end of the market. They will sell though with Yamaha enthusiasts and folks that will be happy with the wave it produces, but I think having the view that the newer wake boats aren't an all around boat is a stale view. Different and pros and cons no doubt.
There is NO WAY, for example, that I would ever consider taking a wake boat to Bimini. Just not capable of a trip like that. My Yamaha is.
Also if you took a bar graph of the prices of Yamaha's line up vs <insert wake boat manufacturer name here> I am pretty certain that Yamaha's line up starting at $30,649 up to $131,249, I'll hazard a guess that most wake boats bar starts around $60K and goes up to $250K? And the 27' Yamahas aren't really even in the Wake boat comparison category.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any word on the GPS upgrades? Im hearing that they integrated better maps and a heads up setting rather than the North setting on last years models. Any change these will these be downloadable to the 2020's?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is NO WAY, for example, that I would ever consider taking a wake boat to Bimini. Just not capable of a trip like that. My Yamaha is.
Also if you took a bar graph of the prices of Yamaha's line up vs <insert wake boat manufacturer name here> I am pretty certain that Yamaha's line up starting at $30,649 up to $131,249, I'll hazard a guess that most wake boats bar starts around $60K and goes up to $250K? And the 27' Yamahas aren't really even in the Wake boat comparison category.
I think the ability for a wake surf boat to make a trip to Bimini is low on the priority for most people, and wouldn't be a consideration for someone serious about surfing. If you want a nice all around boat that is surf capable, then the Yamaha would be good...no doubt, no qualms. If you claim you have the ultimate surf boat it's just not true. Very nice boat, all around boat a home run, you can surf on it no doubt. Of course some wake boats are the upper end of the spectrum, but you can get a comparable, and arguable higher end Moomba, like the Makai, for the same price as the 255XD and the surfing exponentially better. But you can't take it Bimini.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Regarding the surf and wake waves. Late model vdrive surf boats put out one heck of a surf wave. They also put out one heck of a wake wave. Even this newest offering from Yamaha can’t compete on wake/wave size with late model vdrives. The question is how big of a wake/wave do you need and how much are you willing to spend on it.

Wakeboarding wise; wake to wake on a Yamaha can be done by the average Joe with the right technique. The risk factor for that average Joe with good technique behind a flagship vdrive goes way up when pushing the limits of edge, speed, and pop. Muffing the landing from higher up is a more likely trip to the ER. Perhaps better not to be tempted?

Surf wise a bigger wake is more fun to play on. That said how many folks with vdrives are doing grab and spin tricks popping off the wave? Still a bigger wave would be nice but the biggest downside for me on my Yami is filling the transom ballast. Not terrible but would be nice to just push a button. When I don’t feel like filling the transom bag I just fill the internal bags and throw on my booster (goes on in 10 seconds). Hard to go ropeless with no transom bag but still fun to thrash, ollie, lip ride, top of wave ride, or just chill while hanging onto the rope. Much less painful than under rotating a back-roll at 20+mph too.

Now what can the Yami do that v drives can’t? Well not much just like the other way around but some things like Bimini trips, top speed, and not worrying about the prop Yami does do better.

Not sure the fuel burn is worth upping the engines but there are options there by choosing a different model. I love the idea of the cooler table thing but the execution could have been better. A slide out cooler on rails and more integrated would have been much better. The tower mount gaps and side windshield cutouts look like a suture kit may become a good thing to have on board. The convertible transom lounges, more freeboard, fuel capacity, and the svho option are the biggest changes this year IMO. The rest is just wizbang stuff that does not make much of a difference to me. I love electronics but I find the human interface of physical
knobs and switches in a car/truck/boat are my preference in most cases.

Nothing in these changes is making me yearn for a newer model. I have customized a lot to my liking and I don’t need a bigger fuel tank.

Innovation usually brings more choices and more choices is a good thing. Yamaha certainly provided more choices. I wish all in the market good luck on finding what suits their fancy.

I do think the 255XD will sell well and look forward to seeing one passing me on the lake. Now when is that Ram T-REX reveal?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quick follow up. Do the new models come with a new penetration warning sticker for the tower? 😉 Sorry had to. Beyond that the overall package does look good.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From what I've read, the wake wave KING are the Centurion boats.
The G23 changed the game. Tricks never possible Have been preformed behind the G23 and every boat manufacturer followed suit with the hull design.
C51AACAA-2FD1-4EE2-BBFF-2BC3DA5E1BB9.jpeg