• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 First Time Jet Pump Removal - Questions (Pictures)

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey folks,

We sucked up a rope a few weeks ago, and many were very helpful on helping me clear it etc. Due to some work travel, we haven't had a chance to do much boating the past couple of weeks. Took her out to a local lake recently and definitely had some cavitation, so decided to pull the pump. Read every FAQ post and watched every video that's been linked, so felt very prepared to tackle it last night! Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my socket extensions to the storage unit, so I didn't get very far.

However, as I was taking apart what I could, I noticed there were a couple of things that looked different than I had seen (or noticed) from other pictures/videos.

1. There is a thin cable, seated with a bolt, that is attached to the bucket controls. Is this new? Or had I just not noticed it before? I had to remove it in order to get the pump housing apart, but just making sure I'm not going crazy.

2. There's a hole on the right side of the pump, that is threaded, with no bolt. Any idea what this is for? Feels strange that there isn't a bolt in there.

Thanks all. Immensely helpful bunch, very appreciative.

Attachments

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The cable is a ground strap for the reverse bucket cable to protect against corrosion.

mpecoraro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey folks,

We sucked up a rope a few weeks ago, and many were very helpful on helping me clear it etc. Due to some work travel, we haven't had a chance to do much boating the past couple of weeks. Took her out to a local lake recently and definitely had some cavitation, so decided to pull the pump. Read every FAQ post and watched every video that's been linked, so felt very prepared to tackle it last night! Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my socket extensions to the storage unit, so I didn't get very far.

However, as I was taking apart what I could, I noticed there were a couple of things that looked different than I had seen (or noticed) from other pictures/videos.

1. There is a thin cable, seated with a bolt, that is attached to the bucket controls. Is this new? Or had I just not noticed it before? I had to remove it in order to get the pump housing apart, but just making sure I'm not going crazy.

2. There's a hole on the right side of the pump, that is threaded, with no bolt. Any idea what this is for? Feels strange that there isn't a bolt in there.

Thanks all. Immensely helpful bunch, very appreciative.
I sucked up a stick on Thursday and pulled my jet pump on Sunday. Haven't had a chance to post my experience and questions yet.

1. I have a 2021 195S, my service manual states that the cable is a "ground lead".

2. I also have that empty threaded hole. On Sunday I was wondering if something was once there and fell off 😮, but it appears to have always been empty.

I watched all the same videos and read the posts. I had hoped to pull the jet pump in one piece as the service manual seems to imply it is possible. However, the ride plate had other ideas. The service manual makes no mention of the ride plate in that section. I have no interest in removing the ride plate as it appears to be basically glued in with A LOT of sealant. Therefore, I had to remove the nozzle first (with the shift gate still attached), then I was able to get the impeller duct assy out. That ride plate makes it a real PITA!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does this threaded hole go all the way through into the jet tunnel? If so, I assume it blows water out? Might be a spot to tap into the washdown pump on FSH models (Usually they tap the jetski hole on top for this).

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The cable is a ground strap for the reverse bucket cable to protect against corrosion.

Thanks very much!

I sucked up a stick on Thursday and pulled my jet pump on Sunday. Haven't had a chance to post my experience and questions yet.

1. I have a 2021 195S, my service manual states that the cable is a "ground lead".

2. I also have that empty threaded hole. On Sunday I was wondering if something was once there and fell off 😮, but it appears to have always been empty.

I watched all the same videos and read the posts. I had hoped to pull the jet pump in one piece as the service manual seems to imply it is possible. However, the ride plate had other ideas. The service manual makes no mention of the ride plate in that section. I have no interest in removing the ride plate as it appears to be basically glued in with A LOT of sealant. Therefore, I had to remove the nozzle first (with the shift gate still attached), then I was able to get the impeller duct assy out. That ride plate makes it a real PITA!

Makes me feel better. Thanks for chiming in! I also wanted to do the one piece pull, but quickly realized that wasn't going to be possible. Not worth the hassle of messing with the ride plate.

Does this threaded hole go all the way through into the jet tunnel? If so, I assume it blows water out? Might be a spot to tap into the washdown pump on FSH models (Usually they tap the jetski hole on top for this).

It seems to go all the way into the tunnel, but I'm not positive. As you can likely tell from the horrible flashlight photo, it was pretty dark in that storage unit (just ordered another light). When I get back over there, I'll get a proper picture and update you. It would make sense to be the tap.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like alternate location for an anode. Ground strap is because the two assemblies need a conductive path for the anodes to work.

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well, update for those keeping track. After a 2 day delay waiting on Amazon to deliver some Yamalube Moly grease (I think I own everything in the manual at this point) - I got everything reassembled. Used the downtime to seal everything up tight with 3m 4200 in the pump intake area. Super sloppy job from the factory on that.

Before:

IMG_1232.JPEGIMG_1236.JPEG

After:
IMG_1244.JPEG

Checking impeller for anything stuck: (Didn't find anything, must have dislodged during disassembly)

IMG_1282.JPEG

Reassembled: (Plus or minus a bolt or two here)

IMG_1287.JPEG

Great big thanks to everyone for the help. Feel accomplished having done this now. I've assembled a full set of "boat tools" for our upcoming Labor Day trip so I can do it on the ramp if necessary and not blow a weekend.

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I looked at this again, and best I could tell, it did not go all the way through. Not sure what it's for.

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I too have sucked up a rope this weekend....actually was a wakeboard line. I think that makes it worse IMO. Port side engine and we limped back to dock on a engine. I couldn't cut it from the cleanout because it was so damn much around the shaft. Planning on removing the pump cover this evening and see if I can pull the impeller and shaft out easily.

First question is what do I need to seal that pump cover back on with? I see some type of gray sealer around it in places. Do I need to put loctite on those bolts when putting it back on provided I get it pulled off and the shaft removed?

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I too have sucked up a rope this weekend....actually was a wakeboard line. I think that makes it worse IMO. Port side engine and we limped back to dock on a engine. I couldn't cut it from the cleanout because it was so damn much around the shaft. Planning on removing the pump cover this evening and see if I can pull the impeller and shaft out easily.

First question is what do I need to seal that pump cover back on with? I see some type of gray sealer around it in places. Do I need to put loctite on those bolts when putting it back on provided I get it pulled off and the shaft removed?

Welcome to the club!

Mine was also a wakeboard line, so I feel your pain.

I think the gray sealer you're referring to is the original gasket - I scraped/cleaned off all the residue, and replaced with Loctite 518 per the service manual. Most of the bolts go back in with Loctite 242.

Some folks opt to not replace the gaskets at all and generally don't see much in the way of negative performance, but I had a copy of the service manual, so went ahead and followed it as close to the letter as possible.

If you want to DM me your email, I'd be happy to share the pertinent service manual pages.