• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

212X rope less wake surfing success!!!

ktmsmr12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Was able to go rope less multiple times this weekend at the lake with my 2014 212X. Listing my specs and how I did it for those wanting to try it with their boats. Longest rope less run was 2 minutes. Water got pretty choppy later in the day. Smoother water is definitely easier.

Fuel was at 30 gallons.

Thrust Vector Wake fins installed and properly adjusted. TVW splash guard installed on rear ladder.

Factory wake ballast bags (2) were full. 750lbs.
3 people in boat. All 100-130lbs each.
800lb fat sac about 70-75% full centered on lower swim deck.

Slingshot coaster 2019 5’0” board. I weigh 160lbs.
10-11mph speed with moderate wind and slight chop.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 9D064BDC-4058-4B9C-8A07-D8A14B2B183A.jpeg
    9D064BDC-4058-4B9C-8A07-D8A14B2B183A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
  • A72A7E83-33D7-43BF-90F9-DA9C9213726B.jpeg
    A72A7E83-33D7-43BF-90F9-DA9C9213726B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
  • EC92CDC1-BE47-4393-88A3-2692A2AAE718.jpeg
    EC92CDC1-BE47-4393-88A3-2692A2AAE718.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Have you experimented with any of the "delayed convergence" attachments like Swell or Mission Delta?

Have you experimented with any of the "delayed convergence" attachments like Swell or Mission Delta?
Those act as a rudder by adding drag and turn our boats. Then you have to counter steer and the jet was punches though the wave. SO NO............

We finally gone rope less with our stock ballast and Wakebooster only. The surfer was 5'-8" 200 pounds with 3 years experience on Liquid Force rocket wakesurf board. He got right into the pocket and threw the rope right into the boat. What he said is the same as most on here, the wave doesn't have the push. What he said was he felt like he had to ride front foot heavy and fell one time when he ran the board into the back of the boat. He rode rope less for every bit of 4 minutes. He is used to his dad's Air Nautique. Said it was harder to surf our boat vs his dad's. After some pointers, my son was able to go rope less but found it really hard to stay up, but did no less.

I was overly excited to see him surfing rope less. I already bought the boat and another $700 for the Wakebooster I was going to be very disappointed if I had to buy a bag.

So going rope less with a stock ballast and Wakebooster is very doable, with an experience rider.

We where Lake of the Ozarks in about 35' deep water. It was around 9 in the morning so the water was not that choppy yet. I'll try and get pictures and video next time. Was not thinking about that at the time was somewhat hung over.

We finally gone rope less with our stock ballast and Wakebooster only. The surfer was 5'-8" 200 pounds with 3 years experience on Liquid Force rocket wakesurf board. He got right into the pocket and threw the rope right into the boat. What he said is the same as most on here, the wave doesn't have the push. What he said was he felt like he had to ride front foot heavy and fell one time when he ran the board into the back of the boat. He rode rope less for every bit of 4 minutes. He is used to his dad's Air Nautique. Said it was harder to surf our boat vs his dad's. After some pointers, my son was able to go rope less but found it really hard to stay up, but did no less.

I was overly excited to see him surfing rope less. I already bought the boat and another $700 for the Wakebooster I was going to be very disappointed if I had to buy a bag.

So going rope less with a stock ballast and Wakebooster is very doable, with an experience rider.

We where Lake of the Ozarks in about 35' deep water. It was around 9 in the morning so the water was not that choppy yet. I'll try and get pictures and video next time. Was not thinking about that at the time was somewhat hung over.
I managed to go ropeless behind my AR240 on a Liquid Force Rocket. At the time I was running only minimal ballast similar to stock on the x model. I can with certainty tell you that your friend's assessment is correct about riding front foot heavy. I can also say that the Rocket is not the quickest board and will not be doing anyone seeking to go ropeless much favors. I'm not meaning to bash, just offer a personal opinion. If you want a board suggestion, feel free to reach out.

I'm not sure your exact setup, but putting passengers in the back surf side corner and a gradual surf side turn might help.

Last edited:
J-RAD thanks for offering the help. Online the Slingshot coster is being marketed as a board that will work with less push from a wave. Going to try my buddy's Hyperlite Shim. He said it's a really fast board.

What do you think would be good for a 5'-10" 155 pound 16 year old?

I have come to realize that getting pulled behind a boat on anything that's not a tube is a young man's game...lol So really need a board for my son and his buddies.

I have come to realize that getting pulled behind a boat on anything that's not a tube is a young man's game...lol So really need a board for my son and his buddies.
Wake surfing is popular because it is much less impact/stress on us older folks...... (going to read my AARP magazine now....LOL)

J-RAD thanks for offering the help. Online the Slingshot coster is being marketed as a board that will work with less push from a wave. Going to try my buddy's Hyperlite Shim. He said it's a really fast board.

What do you think would be good for a 5'-10" 155 pound 16 year old?

The Slingshot Coaster has been the most popular board we sell. It does exactly as advertised. I like referring to it as a progressive board, because it is great for beginners but will progress with their abilities. A lot of beginner boards can have a pretty stale ride. The Coaster has great traction and a surf style feel with all the fins installed, but you can go fast and loose by removing the fins and pull spins and other skim style tricks. It's not going to stop performing at going ropeless. For your 16 year old, I'd recommend the 5'0" size. It should do better even for a rider your friends size. It'll really give them a lot more freedom on the wave I can message you a discount code if you like?

J-RAD that would be awesome, thank you for all the help.

The Slingshot Coaster has been the most popular board we sell. It does exactly as advertised. I like referring to it as a progressive board, because it is great for beginners but will progress with their abilities. A lot of beginner boards can have a pretty stale ride. The Coaster has great traction and a surf style feel with all the fins installed, but you can go fast and loose by removing the fins and pull spins and other skim style tricks. It's not going to stop performing at going ropeless. For your 16 year old, I'd recommend the 5'0" size. It should do better even for a rider your friends size. It'll really give them a lot more freedom on the wave I can message you a discount code if you like?
I love discount codes, my boys are 21 and 215 lbs and 18 yr old is around 180 wich board would be right for them

Back