• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x vs AR240

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Happy to have you come check out the boat! Why did I go with the 242X? Here is my list:

1. Electronic Throttles is #1 - they are so smooth and so much nicer than the manual ones. No lurching, not jumpy acceleration or deceleration...just smooth!
  2. Perfect Pass like system installed....but better in my opinion....handles acceleration and cruise control
  3. Nice stereo pre-installed. Although I enjoyed installing mine...something to be said for someone else doing it.
  4. LOVE the huge bimini and tower racks! Getting the boards out of the way is awesome!
If you can get an X for 60k....I'd jump on it!

I don't like how much space the ballast takes...but there is so much other room, it doesn't matter!

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The more I study the more I think the AR is the best bang for the buck. And most of the upgrades i really want can be done later, the stereo and amp, speakers, add fastpass, some waterbaggs. If i had the money for sure a e series would be nice but it sounds like some of the electronics mite not be up to par (gps messing up the cruise control ) I'm no electronic guy so it would be a dealer issue for the life of the boat.

If you don't have electric locks or windows in your truck don't think you will miss the electronics in your boat

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The more I study the more I think the AR is the best bang for the buck. And most of the upgrades i really want can be done later, the stereo and amp, speakers, add fastpass, some waterbaggs. If i had the money for sure a e series would be nice but it sounds like some of the electronics mI ite not be up to par (gps messing up the cruise control ) I'm no electronic guy so it would be a dealer issue for the life of the boat.

If you don't have electric locks or windows in your truck don't think you will miss the electronics in your boat
I am on the hunt for a 2015 AR240. I am very wary of the potential electrical issues.

Megameh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hello, I'm new here. I was going to resurrect this necro thread. I'm thinking of buying a new AR240 next year. I like some of the bells and whistles that the 242X has but not the price. Most of the stuff I want can be added like ballast, GPS perfect pass, stereo upgrade. The only things I can't add are surf pointe (Anybody know the angle between the jets with this?) And adding the 12 inch display probably is really expensive. What I really want is a do everything boat that my kids can have fun learning to surf and tube.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey there. Welcome. First post! Forget about surf point. It is a gimmick. You don't need it. You are right, you can add everything else. The large screen is nice but should not be your decision maker. For me, the one thing that sold me on my 242 LSE (now simpy named, SE) is the large bimini. Excellent shade. If that is not a consideration, go get the 240. If it is, not sure you need to go 242X, think about the SE.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, I'm new here. I was going to resurrect this necro thread. I'm thinking of buying a new AR240 next year. I like some of the bells and whistles that the 242X has but not the price. Most of the stuff I want can be added like ballast, GPS perfect pass, stereo upgrade. The only things I can't add are surf pointe (Anybody know the angle between the jets with this?) And adding the 12 inch display probably is really expensive. What I really want is a do everything boat that my kids can have fun learning to surf and tube.
Welcome! I went with the AR240, purchased new in 2016. I have upgraded things throughout the years. I had the dealer upgrade the stereo with the JL SlamPak and add a 3 bag 3 pump integrated ballast system before I took delivery. It still came in less than the limited. You will definitely need ballast to make it surfable. There's lots of indication here on that topic. I do envy the larger shade. I wouldn't let the larger screen influence your purchase. I will likely be upgrading to a 242xe in the next year or 2. But I've been more than content with my AR.

The one thing I will attempt to talk you out of is that Perfect Pass system. I'm sure it's an okay product, but the Hydrophase Ridesteady is a better system and a better upgrade, in my opinion. It has the ability to digitally sync the engines RPM's all of the time, which is AWESOME! I honestly love that about it. That alone will make you feel like you saved $10k on a E-series boat. The interface with the knob to control speed and RPM is also much more user friendly. I think it cost just a bit more, but it's worth every bit of it!

Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any questions on the AR or watersports behind it. I am watersports dealer and would love to help outfit you and your family, when you're ready I'll throw some discounts at you.