• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255XD horrible speed control for wake surfing, this is acceptable?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My 255XD is exactly the same as Wicked92. It's extremely annoying especially since it should have been fixed by now.
It starts to have issues surfing with 100% ballast. Any additional weight and it gets worse. It doesn't matter what the preset speed is, it will only reach about 9.3 mph until you push the + button.
ive been setting mine to 15mph, and then backing down as i get a hold of the wave forming. The issue is it takes too damn long, all while the surfer is hanging out off to the side waiting for the wave to clean up.

255XE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Question. I am having trouble getting my surf pointe to deploy. Does it stay deployed or does it stow and deploy as you take off and stop?

Kyle Johnston

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Question. I am having trouble getting my surf pointe to deploy. Does it stay deployed or does it stow and deploy as you take off and stop?
if you have the surf profile selected and activated it stays deployed until you deactivate it.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Mine doesn't vary at all, it holds GPS speed exactly even in turns. It used to have an error when it lost its GPS signal and would drop speed ... but I traced that down to a bar canbus connection at the tach. Here is a video of what it showed when this happened:

Hi Julian, by chance can you be more specific or did you create a separate thread on the GPS ERR fix you found?
I had a similar or same err as your video, they replaced the GPS ant under warranty a year ago which fixed it until two weeks ago, it's back. So now I'm wondering if it's something else like your issue?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian, by chance can you be more specific or did you create a separate thread on the GPS ERR fix you found?
I had a similar or same err as your video, they replaced the GPS ant under warranty a year ago which fixed it until two weeks ago, it's back. So now I'm wondering if it's something else like your issue?
I'm mobile right now....not sure where I posted this.

Bottom line my error was just a bad connection at the tach. They replaced the GPS puck and still errored. I traced it down to the orange wire going into starboard tack. Can bus wire (or something like that).

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm mobile right now....not sure where I posted this.

Bottom line my error was just a bad connection at the tach. They replaced the GPS puck and still errored. I traced it down to the orange wire going into starboard tack. Can bus wire (or something like that).
Awesome, thanks so much for that insight!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hi Julian, when you get a chance, was there something obvious that led you to the bad connection?
Noticed or jiggled a loose plug, found corrosion when systematically unplugging and inspecting all the plugs behind the Tach's or something like that?
Heard of any others fixing this issue by finding the same loose/bad connection?

EDIT: I think I found thread about this "2016 242X connext "gateway comm error", but you never referenced or posted how you solved the orange wire connection issue once you narrowed it down to the pic of the plug with the orange wire?
Thanks!!

Last edited:

DagsCAN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I had the same issue with my 2021 212XE. The gps refresh rate seems to be the problem. It does seem to be getting better the more I use it. My first few trips on the water, my position on the screen was 50 yards off. It would show me on land sometimes. Now it tracks fairly well, but my position is a little too laggy. If the system can’t tell where you are at a decent refresh rate, it will never hold speed correctly.
I just got a new 21 212xe as well and cannot figure out how to use the preset speed control. Any advice? I see the option for the tow profiles but after setting that not sure where to go from there or how to activate it.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I’ll make a short video of this for you this weekend. You may have already figured it figured out by then. Make sure the ballast intake valves are open below deck before you start exploring the menus, because it’s going to try to fill the ballast when you start pushing buttons. For just cruising on plane, you can just push the “Cruise No Wake” plus or minus once you are at the speed you want. Then you can use the buttons to speed up or down in 1 mph increments. I like running about 30 mph, so I hit the right button at speed and then up or down occasionally.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I just got a new 21 212xe as well and cannot figure out how to use the preset speed control. Any advice? I see the option for the tow profiles but after setting that not sure where to go from there or how to activate it.
The one step you may be missing is once you select the preset you want, you then have to hit SET to activate it. Also the engines need to be running and you must be in Natural when you do this.
Hope this helps!

DagsCAN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
The one step you may be missing is once you select the preset you want, you then have to hit SET to activate it. Also the engines need to be running and you must be in Natural when you do this.
Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice will try it out today. After hitting set do I then throttle up and the profile should kick in?

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Thank you for the advice will try it out today. After hitting set do I then throttle up and the profile should kick in?
Once you hit set, you can throttle all the way, and it will just do its thing, and stop at the set speed. If you shut the engines off, you’ll need to set it again. I learned this the hard way when my wife almost yanked my arms out of socket.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes once the ballast tanks get to the preset levels that are associated with the preset after you hit SET. When you hit set I believe it changes to CANCEL. You would hit cancel to disengage the launch and speed controls and hit SET again to reengage. You need to hit Cancel to empty the tanks.

Wittyy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Following…. I am having the same issues. With 850lb sac on the transom and as much bow weight that I can find (people and ballast)
I set my target Speed to 14.5, the boat teeters between 10-11mph and never gets anywhere near 14.5. (If u don’t set it at 14 or more the wave just doesn’t “clean up”).

A LONGER wave absolutely requires more bow weight!! take a look at my additional “bowlast”….Cork the anchor locker and by filling it you easily can get 200+ pounds in the tip of the boat. Drains easy thru the bow outlet. I’ve done this a few times and seems to work nice to lengthen the wave.

Attachments

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Following…. I am having the same issues. With 850lb sac on the transom and as much bow weight that I can find (people and ballast)
I set my target Speed to 14.5, the boat teeters between 10-11mph and never gets anywhere near 14.5. (If u don’t set it at 14 or more the wave just doesn’t “clean up”).

A LONGER wave absolutely requires more bow weight!! take a look at my additional “bowlast”….Cork the anchor locker and by filling it you easily can get 200+ pounds in the tip of the boat. Drains easy thru the bow outlet. I’ve done this a few times and seems to work nice to lengthen the wave.
nice lil trick in the anchor locker. Ill have to get a cork to use.

Ive found that the more weight the issue gets worse also. If they would give you complete manual control "up" until you hit or near the target speed say 1 mph it would prob help greatly. I still need to seal my pump tunnels and few other tricks to see if i can improve the thrust at surf speeds and hull angle.

Wittyy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
nice lil trick in the anchor locker. Ill have to get a cork to use.

Ive found that the more weight the issue gets worse also. If they would give you complete manual control "up" until you hit or near the target speed say 1 mph it would prob help greatly. I still need to seal my pump tunnels and few other tricks to see if i can improve the thrust at surf speeds and hull angle.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Did anyone figured this out yet? Get an 800 pounds fatsac for my 255xd and have the same oroblem with the target speed, cant get above 10.5 with target speed set at 15(max setting), 100-100-100 plus fatsac on surf side, acomodating people on front opposite side of surf. Below 9 the wave is a mess, and cant get it ro 12-13 what is what i am trying to target. Also aceleraring and stoping to keep innacurate speed is anoying. Wave is tall but really short. It sucks that you cant use the wakebooster on manual. Even a 17 max target speed will solve my issue, is there any way to tweak the target speed to 17? Maybe a jet deflector?? Any info is highly appreciated as i am trying to dial the wave. And like most are saying the more weight tou add the worst it gets. So adding more bow weight is only gonna keep making it worst.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven’t read this whole thread but a lot of people use the ridesteady speed control to help dial in their speed better than what Yamaha system provides.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian, when you get a chance, was there something obvious that led you to the bad connection?
Noticed or jiggled a loose plug, found corrosion when systematically unplugging and inspecting all the plugs behind the Tach's or something like that?
Heard of any others fixing this issue by finding the same loose/bad connection?

EDIT: I think I found thread about this "2016 242X connext "gateway comm error", but you never referenced or posted how you solved the orange wire connection issue once you narrowed it down to the pic of the plug with the orange wire?
Thanks!!
Sorry ....never saw this post (Be sure to put the @ sign before names so they get an alert about being tagged)

I traced the problem down by simply wiggling wires behind the dash. One of the Yamaha tech here gave me some pointers on which wires it might be.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Did anyone figured this out yet? Get an 800 pounds fatsac for my 255xd and have the same oroblem with the target speed, cant get above 10.5 with target speed set at 15(max setting), 100-100-100 plus fatsac on surf side, acomodating people on front opposite side of surf. Below 9 the wave is a mess, and cant get it ro 12-13 what is what i am trying to target. Also aceleraring and stoping to keep innacurate speed is anoying. Wave is tall but really short. It sucks that you cant use the wakebooster on manual. Even a 17 max target speed will solve my issue, is there any way to tweak the target speed to 17? Maybe a jet deflector?? Any info is highly appreciated as i am trying to dial the wave. And like most are saying the more weight tou add the worst it gets. So adding more bow weight is only gonna keep making it worst.
bow weight will help, the issue is how hard you are trying to drive the transom into the water, and the boat has issues getting up and outta hole. Ive found that with 300-400lbs in bow additional it helped the boat get up to speed. The wave being tall is your first indication you need the bow down a lil more. The restraints on the speed control def dont help the situation and a better system needs to be developed. The real issue is the speed you set is tied to a predetermined rpm value. You will find that as yopu hit the + or - on the speed trim as you are trying to hit target all its doing is scrubbing 50 or 100 rpm off. Wish they would allow for manual wake booster deployment, but i know th 15mph limit they imposed is due to some idiot trying to go 30mph with it deployed and damage the boat.