• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25ft Boat Cleat Addition

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried searching this but could only find for other models (mainly 19ft FSH).

Has anyone added a fender cleat in this area on an SX250, AR250, 252, or 255?

It just seems like the cleat at the front of the bow is too far toward the centerline of the boat to help at the dock (curve of the boat would allow the hull to contact the dock before both fenders), and the one at the base of the tower is too far toward the stern to control the bow.

Attachments

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Shouldn't be too hard - that area is accessible under the front seats to check for clearances and to attach the nuts - use Loctite. Drilling fiberglass isn't hard, just tape it, run the bit in reverse to get through the gelcoat, then continue drilling. The other posts have the same info. I just clip mine on the front grab rail as it's in the right spot.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are there backing plates in there for the stock cleats?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are there backing plates in there for the stock cleats?
Yes....if you look back there, the fiberglass bulges out where the cleats are located. I know this because while installing speakers at the helm I came close to not having clearance because of the cleat backing area.

I'll upload a photo in a minute.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This photo shows the backing thickness where the cleat is. The tape measure it resting against the corner of the thicker part. You can almost see the washer for the cleat at the 2.5 inch mark behind the tape measure.

20170225_103835.jpg

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes....if you look back there, the fiberglass bulges out where the cleats are located. I know this because while installing speakers at the helm I came close to not having clearance because of the cleat backing area.
Ah so they put in a plate and glassed over it...that's why I wasn't sure. I looked at the cleat in the bow when I was re-wiring my speakers and just saw the glass and bolts.

Tscozz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried searching this but could only find for other models (mainly 19ft FSH).

Has anyone added a fender cleat in this area on an SX250, AR250, 252, or 255?

It just seems like the cleat at the front of the bow is too far toward the centerline of the boat to help at the dock (curve of the boat would allow the hull to contact the dock before both fenders), and the one at the base of the tower is too far toward the stern to control the bow.
I use 4 bumpers cause I'm anal about scratches, I hang 1 on the front seat hand rail, the next on the center cleat, the third on the rear sear hand hold ant last on the back cleat. They are spaced nicely.... Tom

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I added some cleats to the rear of my SX230 and I made some backing plates from aluminum flat bar from the hardware store. I picked the widest one I could find, and the gel coat certainly felt think enough to take the load. I don't use them often enough but they feel as secure as the others.

Prasolot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Phender Pro quick release fender holder will be a best choice. I just installed 4 on my 252SD and those are awesome. If you handy, it takes about 10 minutes for each to install. Need to drill holes but don't require access from inside.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up installing a 6" Atwood Neat Cleat on each side. It looks identical to the ones that came on the boat from the factory, down to the texture on the surface under the cleat.

One thing I may have done in retrospect is use a 7/8" hole saw instead of 1" as the instructions call for, to keep it in place better when tightening the nuts. I sealed under both with white 3M 5200 then wiped the excess after tightening down. Access in the head compartment for the port side was easy, but getting in to the compartment under the helm for the starboard side was tight for me. I used a half inch thick 4x12" piece of polypropylene board as backing/reinforcement.

The installed one is right in front of the forward sling in the picture.

Attachments

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added a center line bow cleat to lift the boat on davits and tie off the anchor, along with blow cleats. I also have a Dring on the front bow to help adjust the scope when needed... I also added two more cleats to each side... two forward and 2 amidships... I followed the spacing of the originals and the lines of the boat... as the original only used large fender washers as backing plates and the hull thickness pretty thick and uniform I did the same... I did add stainless washers on the outside between the cleat and the exterior hull on all my cleats to spread the load out a bit.... and one step further i removed the rear view mirrors and added small stainless cleats there to tie off bumpers... oh and I reinforced the rear bows to be able to supprt lifting the boast on davits as well..

attachment - 2022-06-20T113920.926.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T113934.430.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T113942.683.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T113952.084.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T114000.505.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T114014.263.jpg

Brad.Dvorak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Phender Pro quick release fender holder will be a best choice. I just installed 4 on my 252SD and those are awesome. If you handy, it takes about 10 minutes for each to install. Need to drill holes but don't require access from inside.
Where did you install the 4x Phender Pro? Looking to do the same in my 252 SD

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you just need a bumper cleat in that area these work great, simple to install and look seamless when not being being used! (I used marine plywwod as a backer as the guy in the video did) link below is where I found them as well as the orginal video where I saw them.