• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2nd Battery Quote...tell me what you think...

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So i have been tempting fate for a while and this is the year i want to add a couple needed accessories to the boat (i.e EZ Locks, better stereo, etc...)

I am always nervous about only having one battery and being out on the lake and having it die... I am thinking of adding a 2nd one... I got a quote from a local shop and i am looking for some input on if this seems reasonable?

Also, is there a better switch i should get (i notice a lot of people have used Blue Seas #7650 shown here
blue seas.jpg
The kit i am looking at comes with a Perko switch shown here:
perko.jpg

I dont trust myself doing the install myself, so i want a "professional" to do it. Anyway, here is the quote... basically $600... does that seem reasonable for the peace of mind of having a 2nd battery? Would be curious to see what others have paid to have one installed....
boat battery.jpg

I installed a simple battery switch without acr. And duel charger. Basically always run the boat one battery and keep the 2nd as a backup. Which i have not needed yet. Actually on the 2nd battery i wired a 2nd bilge with float, fused but always connected.

Seems Crazy high to me. Why 100 foot of wire? Buy the battery, buy the switch and cables, let this group help you get it installed.

I don't think its quoting 50 or 100 feet of wire, I think that's the base purchase length used to calculate the per foot price of $4.30 a foot. That being said the labor seems pretty high at what I'm guessing is around 3 hours.

That seems high....but that is because I did this myself. It does take time, but is really EASY!. They type of switch you buy will depend on how you plan to use it. The two you show have different purposes:
  1. Bluesea pictured is for setting up a house and cranking system separately. You turn both on, or you combine both.
  2. Perko pictured is to just have battery 1 on, or 2 on, or combine them (not a house/cranking setup, but a primary and backup setup).
I installed the Bluesea as I wanted to be able to run a stereo on one battery (house battery) and not worry about killing it (a deep cycle battery) while I have a cranking battery on the engine only. I made the wires myself at West Marine (they had crimpers available) and followed the wiring diagram from Blue sea. Total cost for me was $100 for the 7650 (on Ebay), $120 for a deep cycle battery, and probably $50-75 in wires and I bought an added circuit breaker vs just a fuse. So under $300 all in.

No way I pay $325 for a simple job like this... it is an easy DYI.

@jlcj7 you are on the right track but please do not pay 239 dollars for them to put a battery and switch in your boat. I used this but for a cheaper price and put it in myself. Came with all the cables just needed to buy the battery. In my previous boat I bought a switch off amazon, battery and cables from Autozone and a tray from West Marine and was good. Let me know if you need any help.

Now that I am on a dual bank charger when the boat is docked I really don't need the VSR (ACR) as the type of boating we do, the stators probably don't do much charging when we are out.

Put it this way, for the same price you could add in an on board charger, as well as the 2nd battery and switch. Plus you'll have more knowledge of your boat and wiring. Plus still have some gas money left over for the summer lol its a pretty easy install once you get going and like others have said lots of help here if you run into a snag!

I
@jlcj7 you are on the right track but please do not pay 239 dollars for them to put a battery and switch in your boat. I used this but for a cheaper price and put it in myself. Came with all the cables just needed to buy the battery. In my previous boat I bought a switch off amazon, battery and cables from Autozone and a tray from West Marine and was good. Let me know if you need any help.

Now that I am on a dual bank charger when the boat is docked I really don't need the VSR (ACR) as the type of boating we do, the stators probably don't do much charging when we are out.
t's not $239...that's just parts...It's $604 out the door!

Well maybe I will give this a shot. I just don't want to screw anything up. I am comfortable mechanically but electrically I am not good.

The blue seas kit is the way to go. That is like the factory duel battery setup used today except a different brand. It will keep your starting battery isolated so it's only used for starting but still charges both batteries and gives you the option of combing both batteries for starting if for some reason a battery dies. It isn't too hard to install, I'm sure there are some people on this forum who would help if you offer beer and burgers. I would but I'm kinda a little too far. Should take a dealer 2-3 hours to install so they are charging about $100 and hour.

I had never attempted anything like this and I added a new battery and on board charger. It ain't hard.

...and we have write ups here with pictures and everything!

Looks like typical dealer pricing, that is $100 an hour. Is it fair? What would you change to do it for someone else? There will be some contorting and bare fiberglass involved.

I actually had both systems in my sx230. That is the stock perko for the engines and the blue sea for everything else. Just put the battery and the switch next the stock battery. Even easier if the local auto parts store carries the right length cables battery cables. Making it look nice can take a little time as well. I never had a dead battery issue after the installation but didn't have any before either so it was an unneeded upgrade for me but having two batteries/ a spare battery on board did give me some peace of mind.

Unless or until you have had a bad day or a close call with a dead or dying battery I recommend that you just buy and carry an extra battery on board in a battery box. Charge it every three to six months and hope those are the only times you ever see it. Or better still, spend some of the labor savings on a dual bank onboard charger and never see it.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Uh-oh! My Spidey sense tells me the gang is heading toward helping OP spend the money he will save by DIYing on this install... on additional hardware he will also have to install. :)

If you are adding a battery you may as well add a fuse block for future accessories too. Look up blue sea fuse block marine

jlcj7,
The quote you posted might be a total bargain or a total rip-off depending on the quality and execution of the technician doing the work. No one on this forum knows all the particulars. But I see no line item that shocks me. Although the 16 ga. wire raises a question. It may just be an internal procedural thing on how they invoice.

Back