• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

303.. ruined my boat cover, how about yours?

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll keep it short. My OEM boat cover was about 2 years old. I must have taken it on/off 20 times in the month of may in between the VA rains to do a LOT of maintenance. Each time the cover felt as strong as new. Noticed just a few drips in a seam so i went looking for a solution before heading to lake storage that weekend.

Bought 10 bottles of 303 fabric guard and gave the top a light coat. 3 days later, my 2 yr old could rip the cover.

I contacted Customer Service and they've only heard of 1 other case of this sort. So... i'm collecting feedback from anyone else that may have had this issue.

I'll keep it short. My OEM boat cover was about 2 years old. I must have taken it on/off 20 times in the month of may in between the VA rains to do a LOT of maintenance. Each time the cover felt as strong as new. Noticed just a few drips in a seam so i went looking for a solution before heading to lake storage that weekend.

Bought 10 bottles of 303 fabric guard and gave the top a light coat. 3 days later, my 2 yr old could rip the cover.

I contacted Customer Service and they've only heard of 1 other case of this sort. So... i'm collecting feedback from anyone else that may have had this issue.

This is the strangest thing I have heard today. I am very curious as I am considering the treatment myself.
I wonder how do you do this treatment? Why 10 bottles? I thought it was a spray, just like 303 aerospace protectant.

I just used it prior to this season and I have not noticed any weakening of the fabric. I have the mooring cover which is 2 years old with boat stored outdoors. Sorry for your troubles.

Yes that's it.
Yes OEM cover.
Why 10 bottles: I read somewhere it took almost a gallon and I didn't want to go back to the store. Figured I could take back what I didn't use. I think I used around 6 for a light coating on the entire cover.

I get it - I too used it based on other recommendations. After searching on google I've been able to dig up a few other boat cover horror stories. Maybe my situation was odd. I don't know how to explain it - it feels like that frogg togg material, but not as durable. It basically shreds with a couple lbs of force. I was literally taking it off and putting it back on - daily... for 3-4 weeks. I took it off, let it air out in the sunshine for a day to make sure it was completely dry. Hung it over my deck and sprayed a thin coat (as instructed). Later on that day I put it on.... it sat for I think 2 or 3 days. After that, any basic touch it disintegrates.

That is terrible. Please keep us posted.

I'm on my 3rd OEM mooring cover in 10 years, so about 3 years per cover seems to be about the average cover lifetime to me. 1st cover I used no protectant. 2nd cover I used 3m waterproofing which helped repel water more, but didn't seem to affect the cover life one way or the other.

In all cases, my covers all seemed strong and durable until that one day it finally gives way and it all goes to shreds very quickly and easily. Not sure if that's what you're facing, but for me the symptoms are the same either way.

I used the 303 fabric guard on my grey cover this winter. It worked great and has shown no signs of degrading the cover. I put the big jug in a weed sprayer and soaked the cover.

Did you wipe it off after you sprayed, or did you just let it on there to dry?

I think that the spray bottle 303 that I have (I have not put it on the cover--just the cushions) says to put it on and wipe it dry. Could that do it?

I store my boat outside year around and I have used 303 but last year mold started growing underneath so I tossed it in the trash. You could tell the fabric was weak but I didn't notice it shredding apart.

No issues here either. Put it on this past spring and has been working great. Stopped all leaks in the boat.

Did you wipe it off after you sprayed, or did you just let it on there to dry?

I think that the spray bottle 303 that I have (I have not put it on the cover--just the cushions) says to put it on and wipe it dry. Could that do it?

Just sprayed and let it dry.

I've used it on my OEM snap on cover for three years. It's still going strong.

I'm on my 3rd OEM mooring cover in 10 years, so about 3 years per cover seems to be about the average cover lifetime to me. 1st cover I used no protectant. 2nd cover I used 3m waterproofing which helped repel water more, but didn't seem to affect the cover life one way or the other.

In all cases, my covers all seemed strong and durable until that one day it finally gives way and it all goes to shreds very quickly and easily. Not sure if that's what you're facing, but for me the symptoms are the same either way.
That sounds (more) plausible.

Back