• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

600HP V12 pontoon!

WOW. It's insane what they're doing to pontoons now days! ...Jets. ...Huge engines. ....Three pontoons. ....Pulling tubes. ....Speeds in excess of 45mph.

Whenever the word pontoon is mentioned, I always immediately picture my Grandfather putting round the lake with an outboard that probably had less power than my current lawnmower.

Do they give a top speed????

The neighbor of the guy I bought my 2005 SX230 briefly held the pontoon speed record back in 2007....I think it was something like 95mph then. Now its 114 mph (from a quick google search). Insane.....enjoy looking at them at the boat shows though!

Word from the Bennington event is they just got it put together and haven't fine tuned it. Only saw 55ish.

That engine mount though.....

I'd probably still prefer the twin 450Rs... twins on a pontoon looks sweet.

I saw that, too.
And - of course - where else? it had to be LOTO, lol. That lake is so chock full of large boats, it is not even funny...
I expected it to squat at the stern a lot more, wonder what the deal is. Those motors are insanely heavy, the lower turns like a pod, it could be a good application though.

--

Twin 300s might well be quicker out of hole and, possibly, faster at top end. Weight dependent (quick check, weight appears to be close to a wash) of course, but twins have a lot more prop surface translating hp into thrust. Also, twins have the added ability of “gear steering” - made super easy if a joystick is installed.

I wonder what the cost difference is (1x Verado 600 hp vs 2x Verado 300 hp, installed)…? Approx retail is $30K for a 300, $80K for a 600.

While clever, there is A LOT GOING ON IN THAT 600’s articulating lower unit. I would not plop down ~$80K on something that complex until there are quite a few in the field for a couple of years.

Note I avoided discussing the necessity and/or ridiculousness of putting 600 hp on a toon.

I will say the 600 is a thing of beauty. Also, easy to do some routine maintenance.

verado 600.jpg

For many applications, I would prefer twin 300's over a single 600.

Okay, I'll go there. why would you ever put 600 hp on a pontoon?

Jim

I will say the 600 is a thing of beauty. Also, easy to do some routine maintenance.

View attachment 161466

Jim

Why would you only put 600hp on a pontoon? I love the Dodge mentality lol

Considering the "aerodynamics" of a pontoon, 600HP on the back, the obvious inability of some of the boat operators around here to understand the concept of trimming the engine...

Considering the "aerodynamics" of a pontoon, 600HP on the back, the obvious inability of some of the boat operators around here to understand the concept of trimming the engine...

I was wondering this exact same thing. Can a pontoon have too much horsepower, meaning is there a speed at which a pontoon would no longer be stable?

Jim

A couple of years ago a few of us jetboaters got steamrolled by a twin engine orange colored pontoon on our annual lake Martin gathering. I don’t know the engines it had but if i were to guess maybe twin 450R’s. They were huge and this thing was HAULING MAJOR ASS while my 192 pegged out looked like a snail as this thing just blew past all of us. Even Jin and his freak fast SX240 in the mid 50’s was no match for this thing lol. I look the look and design of the 600! So clean!! It’s crazy seeing the motors not swivel when turning, Check this video for no music or talking. its remarkable how quiet it is.

The problem with those motors are they are so heavy its not funny. 1300lbs a piece. We have been installing 4 of them on some of the 46’s. You cant get a feel for how big they are from the pics. I am 5’9 and with the skeg touching the ground the top of my head only come to the bottom of the upper cowling. They have to be 7.5’ tall. All the performance gains you het are lost by the weight. Here are some pictures i took. That one is just the prop shaft.91C2536D-0B6E-4212-9726-282A8CE48065.jpeg2B576A2F-B0DC-4FFE-9D98-5E2B62DE3707.jpeg

View attachment 161466

Jim
Cause they can. Its only a $77,000 motor ?‍♂️

I saw that, too.
And - of course - where else? it had to be LOTO, lol. That lake is so chock full of large boats, it is not even funny...
I expected it to squat at the stern a lot more, wonder what the deal is. Those motors are insanely heavy, the lower turns like a pod, it could be a good application though.

--
Not sure how the Bennington is, but tapered or oval'd toon logs may be used.

Toon’ed Into Your Future | PowerBoating.com

Last edited:
I had one with a 425 yahamha blow by me like i was full of sea weed or out of gas in Bimini.

Back