• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

$928 for front brakes!!!! WTF????

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will try to make this example short.

I've taken my all electric smart car to the (Mercedes) dealer for its 5k and 20k mile maintenance. They top off the fluids, check the battery and tire pressure. For the 5k the cost was $150ish and took less than an hour. For the 20k the rep quoted me $400, I asked about the price difference and she said it was because this time they were changing the oil and filter as well ($250 for an oil change?). Uh no oil or filter on this model (again all electric) so she apologized and dropped the price down to $200ish, still more than the 5k but I didn't care since I was getting a free "loaner" benz for the week but talk about a rip off for anyone not looking.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All my own whining aside, THERE ARE honest dealer shops out there, albeit few and far between.

For example, as far as Toyota service in STL area, Lou Fusz on Manchester is about as solid as any repair shop can aspire to be. Been using them for the last ten years or so, three or four different cars, never had anything but stellar experience/rapport.

Its a tough business.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol @4x15mph . I'm far too much of a biased brand whore to ask that question. So, yeah, Q7 all day! Or maybe the Atlas when it's released. But if you don't have a good local VAG shop, that's a terrible recommendation. If you lived on the good side of PA, I'd have plenty of suggestions for that ;)

I still wrench, but not like I used to. I prefer to tackle issues that others can't at this point. More brains than brawn, if you will, particularly electrical woes and crazy swaps and such. I've got a couple good techs working with me that I'm training, and they typically handle the work that makes money. When I move to Florida, I'm not sure. I've tossed around leaving the field altogether and trying something else. Maybe get into the marine field a bit as it seems like good marine repair shops are considerably harder to find than automotive. Be hard to walk away from the money though.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@veedubtek - Are service writers working on a commission/bonus basis now on top of their salary? I already know they make good for what they do in comparison to the required education. I have heard that some dealerships are incentivizing them somehow. I have also heard what some of the service mangers are making at big dealerships and again I thought it seemed better than good. On the the other hand that is essentially your sales department and your sales and operations manager so if your are the owner you want folks that are great at selling and motivating. Perhaps this is where the disconnect is...profit above what is truly fair and needed.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Salary + commish @Mainah , at most dealers anyway. And level of commish depends on survey scores and gross sales. I'd say the average writer down here is near 50K, and I've met several 6 figure writers. I've never met one with any true moral compass however. Profit trumps all.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek If you like rusted nuts and bolts at every turn..... get into the marine biz down here. Maybe you need to slide into a high end/exotic dealership? Tinker with the Ferrari and Lambo lines.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have some good and bad experiences. My son was an oil change tech and took some on-line classes at the dealer and was sent out to fix cars. Of course this was difficult and he had to bother other mechanics as well. Even as an oil change tech he got commission on everything else he sold (need interior air filters, wipers, etc.). Over the years the pay has changed to be based mostly on commission which drives some bad practices. I have had friends that had oil pan bolts stripped out going to the oil change places. I know it is not the norm but I know of two. Both times they had to fight to get it fixed while oil is leaking out. One person had the bolt fall out while driving and destroyed the engine. I have had people come to me and say I was charged xxx for this. Can you look at my car and tell what they did. One time the slip stated new wires etc. and clearly the wires are still the old ones. One person called me because the shop stated they had to replace the ECM. I said well if that is the case just make sure you get the old one. They wouldn't give them old one (not marked that it was needed for exchange for a lower price). I had to go down there and finally they agreed the ECM was not replaced (I was polite which I find typically works pretty good).

I have also found good dealer and repair places. I have said on this site several times how great my dealer is in Kennesaw. I also have a good dealer for my HD. I found one service place that has been in business since 76 and they do a great job. They quote a fair price, but a little high compared to others, but the vehicle is always fixed and ready with no surprises. I like that! They handled an automatic trans and a ECM problem that my son caused when his power steering when out and the fluid ate through some wires. I couldn't find that issue (short) without the equipment.

All said an done, if you find a good dealer or repair shop stick with him (her) and their suggestions if they don't handle that kind of repair. Also I like to go by people's personal references on their successful experiences.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@veedubtek If you like rusted nuts and bolts at every turn..... get into the marine biz down here. Maybe you need to slide into a high end/exotic dealership? Tinker with the Ferrari and Lambo lines.

I'm used to that already! Spent 10+ years wrenching as a yankee. I've had the option a few times to go to the exotic dealer, just don't think my heart would be in it and I'd turn into the very thing I'm ranting about in this thread. I do it now because I love it and the brand, so it's a great package option. Switching to marine on the other hand? I love all boats. Still doubt I'd take the sacrifices to make it work, but it's a nice thought sometimes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm used to that already! Spent 10+ years wrenching as a yankee. I've had the option a few times to go to the exotic dealer, just don't think my heart would be in it and I'd turn into the very thing I'm ranting about in this thread. I do it now because I love it and the brand, so it's a great package option. Switching to marine on the other hand? I love all boats. Still doubt I'd take the sacrifices to make it work, but it's a nice thought sometimes.
It's about time somebody put twin TDIs into a jetboat. Just saying.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll make it run. But I'll probably need your help to devise some form of gear reduction for the pumps to get them puppies to spin fast enough @swatski !

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll make it run. But I'll probably need your help to devise some form of gear reduction for the pumps to get them puppies to spin fast enough @swatski !
Hmm... MR-1HOs, those already have gear reduction going, albeit for the opposite effect.
It will be worth it -- just imagine a rocket-ship of a jetboat with twin 3.0 TDIs 500ft lbs of torque pushing through 160mm pumps. Mother of God... :wideyed:

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So dropped my truck off at my the dealership I bought it from for a free oil change (they send me these things from time to time) and for a rotation and balance (I could tell it may need a balance due to a slight shudder at highway speeds). So they tell me it needs plugs at a cost of $450.00. Nope just changed those 16 plugs myself at a cost of $110 for oem plugs and about an hour of my time (told them that last time). Then they tell me it needs front brakes real soon. I believe this given the 42k miles, having never been changed, and being used for towing last summer. So not as bad as @Julian but they want $600.00. I tell them I will schedule it soon while thinking about this recent thread in the back of my head. I look up the parts and a complete better than OEM slotted and drilled rotor/pad kit runs about $180.00 ($120.00 for stock comparable). The dealership also wanted to replace my air filter at a cost of $36.00. The parts store down the road has it for $20. So for about one hour of my time I will save $436.00 by replacing the brakes and air filter myself.

I think it is time for me to rethink my investment portfolio.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Makes me want to start up a chain called "I do Brakes".....get 6 brake jobs a day that I make $120 profit on and there's $144,000/year if I only work 200 days a year.....

And all I need to do is brakes....no more reading Dilbert and going....damn....that's my office! LOL

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
$200 and 1 hour of work with pops. Soooo easy!

IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use to turn wrenches on commercial Motor vehicles years ago... my dad was also a mechanic and I grew up in a dairy farm so I am very versed in mechanics although I don't do much of my own anymore... years ago my wife took a van of ours to a dealership to have it serviced and tired rotated and balanced before a long road trip... I picked the car up after hours and realized they did not rotate or balance the tires... I went back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager who was still there.. he tried to talk out of the side of his mouth about some bs.. I let him go for a bit then I let him hold it. He said, let's go for a ride and let me see what u r talking about.... about 2 miles in he looked at me and said...... do u want a job? Lol

Fast forward 3 years.. my wife took my 2005 Durango to the same dealership... after the first episode it has always been ohaving, your Mr Pender wife! Yes ma'am we will take care of your car right away... well on this day for some reason there were two new service advisors who didn't know her from adam. When the car was ready they told her it needs front brakes and it would be 400.00.. she called me and I (southern term) flew hot!. Two months ago I replaced brakes all the way around. When she came home with the car, just to be sure the brakes were not dragging.. which I knew they weren't, I took it the .10 of a mile down the street to my buddies shop who does brakes for a living.. I told him what they said and he looked confused... he put it on the lift and we looked at them together... still looked new!! The call to the dealership was not pretty!!! They game me some song and dance but I wasn't buying.. little do they know the friend that did the brake work, rents a building from the family patriarch who started all of the named dealerships... he doesn't do much with them anymore.. my buddy told him and all he'll broke loose at the dealership... Gm was let go... both service advisors as well....

When I sounded the alarm it wasn't my I tension to get anyone fired but still... there is little to no integrity in that business. We have not been back...

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Car was at the Audi dealer today and they said front brakes need pads and rotors.....and that they had the parts and it would only be $928. I almost laughed out loud.

"Uh...no....I think I'll hold off on that"

Ordered the parts kit from Rockauto.com, delivered for $265. About an hour of labor to replace the rotors and pads....and I'll be done.

I figure Audi's cost has to be maybe $120 for the parts? So $800/hour for their labor? What are they thinking????
Hi Julian,
We have a 2012 Touareg TDI, and I recently did the brakes all around. Usually on this vehicle you actually do pads AND rotors together, as you aren't supposed to turn the rotors due to them being very thin from the factory. I was just going to point you to a website called FCPEuro.com where I order parts for my VW. They offer free lifetime replacement on any and all parts you buy, including brakes. So you purchase your brake pads/rotors from them, and when they wear out, you purchase another set, and send your old set back to them, and they'll refund your purchase.

You can read about that policy here: FCP Euro Lifetime Auto Parts Replacement Guarantee | FCP Euro

I'm not affiliated with them, but they are who I use now and they have really good customer service. Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just had my rear brakes done on my 2017 Expedition Yesterday, before we head out on trips. Dealership charged me $480, which felt a bit high, but it is either that or I need to get out on the cold driveway and do them myself.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just had my rear brakes done on my 2017 Expedition Yesterday, before we head out on trips. Dealership charged me $480, which felt a bit high, but it is either that or I need to get out on the cold driveway and do them myself.
I've been putting off brakes on the Sierra for a few months for this very reason. Going to throw new pads/rotors/lines on it here in a month or so. did NOT want to tackle that project on a cold garage floor in the dark of winter.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
my 2016 canyon needed rear brakes done. dealer wanted crazy money. i believe it was in the same price range, around $900. 2 rotors and a set of pads for the rear from gm was almost $500. i ordered a set of cross drill rotors and carbon ceramic pads online for 90 bucks delivered....believe it or not. took me 1hr to do the job. they are crazy.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
To old school me, this new world order of supreme greed, dishonesty, lack of integrity and pride in workmanship seems the predominant modus operandi in our society today. Just paid nearly $1K to get front seats reprogrammed by Mercedes dealer, no one else would touch it with any confidence. Fortunate to have extended warranty with $300 deductible that soften the blow of the steal! Brakes is biggest rip off and easy to do. I had similar experiences of rape quotes for brakes on Mercedes, my M998 Hummer and just last week $1.5K plus quote on my F150 to replace fail caliper, rotors and pads. Did it myself with upgraded high performance kit from Power Stop for less than $600.20210227_134605.jpg

Attachments