• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

alternative to pyrotechnic flares?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have that one, but a similar one (mine is orange, wider brim at the top). USCG qualifying, but make sure you check the batteries and test it...

yeah it seems that its easier to replace the batteries every year than deal with the flares

I have the one @tdonoughue describes. Yes, cheaper to buy batteries once a year than replace flares every 3 years. Plus I tend to lose track of their expiration dates

I have an Orion as well. I don't store the batteries inside the light, as they tend to leak and ruin their devices.

Last edited:
If you don't boat at night, a day time distress flag will comply with the requirement and never run out of batteries.

Also,
You can keep the expired flares as extras, and/or fire them new years day or 4th of July. Just don't get caught. It's great practice, they are way louder than I expected, cover your ears, a friend told me.

well I do run at night hence the Radar... but it seems like a better way to go

Back