• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchoring - heavy chain vs longer chain?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How often do you guys drop anchor? I literally cannot remember the last time I used my Anchor. . . . . . .
Every time we go out, we drop anchor. People NEVER show up on time :). So we launch (we live next to a lake, but the ramp is on the other side of the lake) when it's not busy, and then we hang out at a more convenient bay for people coming to the lake. Usually has us anchored for 30 minutes.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
so what is the consensus on a 24' boat? 5' of chain? Seems most chains come in 4' or 5', if you want 10' do you shackle two together?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
4-6' is good. No need for 10' unless you are anchoring in a lot of sharp rocks or coral.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
what size, 5/16? Does that have to match the anchor line?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How often do you guys drop anchor? I literally cannot remember the last time I used my Anchor. . . . . . .
Pretty much every single time we go out we find a cove between tubing runs to anchor and have lunch/snacks etc.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the FX-7 and had to trim about and inch off the stock for it to fit in the bow locker, with the stock resting in the proper fitments of the locker.

I have 10 ft of 5/16 chain rode to 200ft of nylon. Everytime I've thrown in the fortress, I've never had to touch it. Now, my previous Danforth, I was always babysitting it.

If you wanna be safe, get the extra length rode chain and be confident it will hold everytime. Your rode chain allows your anchor to do a better job.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have read a ton of theory but very little practical knowledge here. Lets not forget the 3 purposes the chain provides, #1 is connection to the anchor, #2 is chaff protection of what will be on the ground, rocks etc. and #3 is it counter acts the ropes desire to float. This is where the fortress recommends more, they make a lighter anchor so you really need to add that weight back to it and the easiest way is with chain. The added chain per depth ratio again is completely relevant to your rode length. If you carry 200' of rode then 8' to 10' of chain should be on the other end so you can deploy everything you have if need be. Shorter heavier chain is sufficient but I would not go any shorter than 5' of chain no matter what for that chaff protection. I absolutely love the fortress brand anchors, I have put them well to the test and way beyond. For now I am using a Richter anchor with an anchor buddy, no chain etc but I am on a deep lake with very steep sides and shallow coves (man made lakes) so we have to be close to shore to anchor since I only have about 50' of rode when it is deployed. It works well for the lakes I am on however when I do get to make the Bimini trip with you all, a fortress will be in the locker with 200' of rode and 8' of stainless 3/8" or 10' of 5/16" stainless chain. I used that combo for years when I lived in FL and it held no matter where I was. I will also be carrying a sea anchor and highly recommend them to those who are making the crossing, it is too deep to anchor in the Gulf Stream and currents are too vast, best option there is a sea anchor if in need, they are extremely light weight and take up little to no space, they are a great thing to have.

Danforth style anchors are designed to hook up being pulled laterally, this is where the chain helps to sink the rode so it creates the proper pull angles. Fortress anchors usually have rave reviews in holding power because people tend to follow their directions by providing enough chain weight that they recommend. All danforths, if the principal is followed out hold just as well though some are weaker and the flukes or shafts can bend etc. Fortress will replace any part you mangle and I have mangled them usually on retrieval and there were never any questions asked. When we knew we were anchoring in rock piles, we started to add a 1/4" line to the top of the anchor that would go down with the rode. This would allow us to pull the anchor out backwards if it was lodged into rock without damage. The only issue was dealing with the second line but it always beat having to commit a valuable anchor to the depths....

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm going to go with 150' of line and 10' of chain. Now I have to decide what sizes for each.

I was thinking 5/16 for the entire setup (rope and chain) Sound good?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to go with 150' of line and 10' of chain. Now I have to decide what sizes for each.

I was thinking 5/16 for the entire setup (rope and chain) Sound good?
I would go with 3/8" rode for the additional strength. You likely will never need it but would be very disappointed if you broke the rode and lost your anchor.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have no problem going with a thicker chain. If I get 3/8 chain, should I also get 3/8 line? The shackles should be 3/8 as well?

Get everything 3/8 and I should be good correct?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have no problem going with a thicker chain. If I get 3/8 chain, should I also get 3/8 line? The shackles should be 3/8 as well?

Get everything 3/8 and I should be good correct?
5/16" chain is oversized for our boats. 3/16" would be typically. Even 3/16" chains is several times stronger than 3/8" anchor rode. I chose 5/16 chain for the extra weight that should help to set the anchor.

Here is a good article on sizing https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-An-Anchor-Rode

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The thing about anchoring is there are so many variables (length of boat, sea state, current, wind, bottom type, anchor type) what works for one will fail for another. Chain is important but, scope, scope, scope when in doubt put out more line. 5:1 7:1 10:1 Did I forget to mention scope? :jimlad: [flag]

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
here comes the silly question...

How do you typically mark the rope, so you know "exactly' how much is out?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We anchor just about every time we are out...but are often in shallow water with a muddy bottom. In my case, I usually dopy 2:1 - 3:1 scope on my baby box and it sets and holds every time.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Take a short piece, 4", of 550 cord (nylon line) and every 10 ' open your anchor line and weave it through. You just untwist the line and put the 550 in between the strands. then release the twist and it will stay, just with the tension of the line. Use a lighter to burn the ends of the 550 or it will unravel.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use my anchor every trip, I was at the lake with a friend of mine this last weekend that said he didn't even own an anchor

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a Fortress Fx 7 with the rode chain size and length recommended by Fortress and it always holds fast. I anchor in fairly shallow water with Sandy bottoms and in strong winds I never had a problem. Vast improvement over my Yamaha anchor.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You can easily mark your anchor line with spray paint in 20' sections. I typically pay it out knowing my wingspan measurement. For instance I can quickly measure out 50' by spreading the line out in my wing span 10 times. You kinda get the feel of it after a few times. Keeping your anchor line neatly coiled is key.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I stumbled across this very innovative anchor, no chain is needed. I cant find anywhere in the states to buy it.
http://www.dulhunty.com/flook1.htm

After more research it looks like the Flook is a "fluke" not very good reviews and only sold in Australia. Was designed for sea planes. Still the concept sounds great.

Last edited: