• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another leak thread

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ok you guys need some insight here.

Have 2014 242LS and I have a leak somewhere. I've filled the rear area with water and didn't have any leak out that I could see. Checked the rub rails and all looks good there.

Took the boat out for its first run the other day and noticed the bilge pump put out a pretty good amount of water when we had stopped and were hanging out on the back. Now it was just me and a buddy and we never had a any water come high enough when we slowed down and stopped to come over the rear seats to fill the clean out ports.

So, when we pulled the boat out of the water there was a pretty good amount coming from the drain plug and also the clean out ports were full of water

So, if the clean out plugs are sealed properly, which they seem to be, where is all that water coming from that gets on top of them? Any way to seal the tubes? And, can that water in the clean out tubes get inside the rear hatch area that the bilge has to pump it out? I really dont want to take the boat in for work at a dealer and ruin most of the beginning of the summer.

Watcha got??

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you stop to quick the water will come up onto the second swim platform and fill the tubes. I’m not sure about leaks on 2014s check the drain plug make sure there’s not crap in the threads and do a search here for 2014 leaks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, the drain in the clean out tray can work both ways.....stop quickly and water can be forced up the drain into the tray area....getting water on top of your plugs.

Best bet is to put the boat in the water, open the hatch and the clean out tray access port and stick a phone in there with light on and video all over. Another trick I've heard (never tried) is to sprinkle baby powder around in the bilge area....makes it easier to see where water is flowing.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree with the above! If this was the first time you took her out in awhile are you sure water didn't get in where she was sitting? I have had that happen. Different year but the tubes never leaked on mine. The water in the back I had was usually due to kids and people getting in and out of the water.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I notice from your profile that you've sucked up a rope. It's possible the shaft seal may have been damaged. While under way open the engine hatch and view the seal on the engine that sucked up the rope. Also...have you properly greased your shaft seals lately. The grease helps prevent shaft seal leaks.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I notice from your profile that you've sucked up a rope. It's possible the shaft seal may have been damaged. While under way open the engine hatch and view the seal on the engine that sucked up the rope. Also...have you properly greased your shaft seals lately. The grease helps prevent shaft seal leaks.
@Gym Thanks, yes both good ideas. Taking her out again next week and plan on doing the" hatch open while underway" inspection. And I have not greased the seals this season.. I'll get on it. Thanks man.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you greased the seals last season that probably is not the issue. Sucking up a rope is a distinct possibility depending on the severity.

Brian Millette

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I too have had a lot of water coming out of the bilge drain when hauling out. and lately I do mean a lot! 5 minutes of draining. Bilge pump is on a float so I need more than a normal boat to start it but it can be hotwired without running the battery down when moored.

After reading a lot of threads I decided to pull the panel above the clean out ports. It was ugly. Looked like it was installed by a 6 year old. Gaps in the seal, trash, including two washers imbedded in the seal, screws were not self tapping but no pilot holes so the fiberflas had large chips and cracks and 3 screws were stripped.

In addition, the panel pulled up very easily and only then did I realize there were clamps on the vertical tubes for the clean out plugs. They were so loose as to be useless.

I ordered 1/8" butyl tape that I intend to lay down and I will silicone the tubes where they join the panel then tighten the clamps, and replace the screws with one size larger self tapping to hold it all down.

Does anyone seen a problem with this solution or have further suggestions?

As many of us do, I love the boat but am continuously disapointed with the workmanship.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check your anchor locker drain.

Brian Millette

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a 2017 so it drains directly overboard

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well that was Yamaha's intention but the hatchet man they have installing them has rendered many a 212X with a gap between the inner and outer hull. This leads to soaked carpets up front. Been going on for three years now. Take a close look at yours.

Brian Millette

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. I will check it carefully

Brian Millette

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. Finished resealing the panel. Never loosened the clamps on the vertical tubes put needed 6 or 7 revolutions to tighten after. And of the 12 screws holding the panel on, 3 I had to oversize, 2 I had to twice oversize, and one I had to 3 oversize. What a butcher job. Surprised I didn't have even more water in the bilge. In a couple of days I will take a look at the anchor locker. Cup holders are all okay. Any more ideas?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I suspect you are going to be good after doing what you have done and finally addressing the anchor drain. Keep us posted.