• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anti seize on plugs yes or no

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just read a bulletin from NGK that says to never use anti seize on their plugs. Just curious about everyone's opinion.

did it say why ?

Interesting to find out why. I have always put a thin coat of anti-seize on plugs making sure I stay far from the electrode and I have never had an issue.

Reactions: 007
was this the bulletin? if so I would still use anti seize since the mr-1's have an issue with #3, i would only finger tighten and then a quarter turn.

Attachments

I used anti sieze and put in NGK.. Never saw that bulletin. I don't see what it would hurt. It could also be a marketing ploy. " Our plugs are so good you can skip the hassle and mess of anti sieze" kind of a thing.

I read the bulletin and the reason they give is that you could overtighten with antiseize and that their plating has antizeize properties.

I have always thought about the torque spec and how antiseize impacted the torque. I will still use it but will definitely keep an eye on the torque.

This was discussed in another thread on here. Basically what I remember it coming down to is NGK wanting to cover their arse for plugs breaking off in the cylinder. When you put antiseize on the threads it becomes very easy to overtighten them. That is why I always hand tighten mine and then give a good 1/4 to 1/2 turn more with the wrench and I'm good to go. I always use antiseize on mine and am careful not to over tighten.

Yes Anti seize

They arent going to break if torqued properly to spec, antiseize compound or not.

Would be interesting to test if anti seize has any impact on the torque resistance when tightening a plug. Would seem more common sense to put out a bulletin that says - Be careful not to over tighten if you use anti seize.

OK....I had to google this, and found the following article post (unfortunately his data was deleted, but from the comments below one can infer that they sheared with 30% less torque)

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...545-will-anti-seize-effect-torque-values.html

The poster also says he's heard that you should use 20% less torque when using anti seize. I've never heard that...but makes sense since you have reduced the friction coefficient.

This link has some good definitive info too:

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/bolt_torque.html

I use anti seize too. finger tight plus 1/4 turn. I measured with a torque wrench and 1/4 is pretty much the same torque (using anti seize). I guess it wouldn't be too hard to simply measure how far a plug turns with and without the anti seize to get to the proper torque. Somebody want to try? I've already changed mine this season.

Hmmmm, I've been doing it the way I do it for a long while now. The only vehicle I've ever had spark plug issues with is the F150. And that's a Ford problem - they even came up with a "broken plug removal kit".
Even the V-10 in my van hasn't been a problem and those engines are notorious for it.

I figure I'll just keep on keepin' on. I just don't tighten the plugs all that much.

Now watch, I'll have a tough time changing them next time! :confused:

Hmmmm, I've been doing it the way I do it for a long while now. The only vehicle I've ever had spark plug issues with is the F150. And that's a Ford problem - they even came up with a "broken plug removal kit".
Even the V-10 in my van hasn't been a problem and those engines are notorious for it.

I figure I'll just keep on keepin' on. I just don't tighten the plugs all that much.

Now watch, I'll have a tough time changing them next time! :confused:
You just cursed yourself! lol!

Never used anti-seize, never had a problem. Just kind of "feel" when the crush washer crushes, then stop....doesn't take much!

Makes me wonder how many people use a torque wrench when installing plugs. Me thinks not many! Finger tight and then a 1/4 turn here...anti seize or not

I have always believed that torque values go out the window when you use anti seize, which I do and will. So the 1/4 to 1/2 turn after finger tight will
Prevent over torquing.

I also read the NGK bulletin some time ago. It seems to me we, as a group, have encountered a couple dozen broken plugs due to threads sticking or rusting but, I don't believe, we've ever encountered a broken plug due to over torqueing with anti seize. I agree with @jetboater4life in that NGK is only trying to defer blame on the user as Yamaha did with the clean out plug issue.

Back