• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone controlling their stereo from a smartwatch?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've recently stumbled onto Spotify. It's great. I'm upgrading the stereo in the boat. It's going to be great too.

But now I'm wondering how often I'll have to climb out of the water this summer to adjust a song, volume level, skip a song, or otherwise change whats happening on the stereo. I'm working on getting a remote at the stern of the boat, but it requires a custom harness that I have to make, and a few other things like running the cable, and drilling another hole in the boat.

SO, seems like I could control the volume on my phone, and the playlist from a decent android smartwatch. Those are the two things I really need control over, and my phone can do both, so by proxy my watch should do both right?

Anyone have any ideas on a smartwatch that won't break the bank, has a decent range, and Spotify integration?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't recommend anything for Android, but I do this with my Apple watch. Turn volume up on the phone, set the boat volume to the max that I'd like it at, then turn down/control songs from my watch.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried to see what would reach further on blutooth by my watch and phone. I could go 50 ft with my phone and half that with the watch. (Apple products)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the new head unit is a fusion and has blue tooth I wouldn’t worry about using a watch although you could use and expensive Garmin model. My iPhone 11 connects perfectly over 50 feet of distance, can control the volume for each zone as well as the play list / music selection.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Apple Watch. Event the cheapest ones will work great. As far as range, they will control your phone pretty far. If your watch is out of range and you still need to change the tunes, your music is probably waaaay too loud!

mattimus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I've used a Garmin Fenix to change songs on my phone while running, but haven't used it on a boat yet. Changing playlists doesn't really work but its very easy to skip songs.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Got the apple watch and it works great with Spotify! Never leave the home/boat without it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess I need to play more. So far, I haven’t been able get my phone to control the volume, so I can’t move on to the watch step. If it ever stops raining, I’ll do some driveway boating to play with this.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clarion linked to iphone pandora, and watch controls pandora songs/volume.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The Fusion head unit in the newer boats has an app that works pretty damn slick from my iphone for zone control and preset volumes. As I don't have a watch I'm not sure if translates to that platform or not.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the stock Clarion CMD 6 head unit and remote (the only stock stereo components left - a lot of stereo upgrades $$$$) that I connect my Galaxy S9+ via bluetooth and then control with my Galaxy S3 Frontier watch. Can skips songs, change volume and mute. I used mostly Spotify and Google Play for music. Have to be within range but as I keep my phone in the helm I can control music from outside the boat and don't have to keep with me or just back in boat when hanging in the cove. Works well for me.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used my Fenix to control a Fusion head unit. Worked great, but would lose connection once in the water though. Fusion now has ANT protocol remotes (and they're pretty inexpensive too, $50). Basically like slapping a watch anywhere onto your boat (no wires).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The Fusion head unit in the newer boats has an app that works pretty damn slick from my iphone for zone control and preset volumes. As I don't have a watch I'm not sure if translates to that platform or not.
I have used that, some. Mostly just for tweaking the sub, though.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Samsung Galaxy frontier watch and I can control volume but the water spots while in the water mess with it a little bit.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Garmin Fenix 5S plus is what I use. Other cheaper ones like the vivoactive or venu can also control music. Range will be the same with all of them. Bluetooth range. I use my watch to skip songs all the time.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Another one for Apple Watch here. I've gotten over 50 feet with mine.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've been doing this for years!! Using my Samsung note and Galaxy watch. Connect my note to the stock connext and leave the phone on the dash. Wander around with my watch (waterproof) and control all aspects of the stereo from my watch. Kinda cool to see people absolutely amazed standing 50 feet away from the boat controlling the stereo. Don't even use the the swim deck controller, well my wife does when I get a little overzealous on the volume! 🤨

I turn the boat stereo to 80% and control the rest on my watch (via phone) volume, tracks, pause, stations etc. (watch won't max out past what I set the boat level at, so a little fail-safe) The watch is essentially just controlling my phone (stereo input) remotely. My watch is not directly connected to the stereo, there is a stronger connection from the watch to my phone than the watch to connext.

They recently updated the watch software and firmware, last year if I got out of range it would pause the tunes until I reconnected, now when disconnected it keeps playing and reconnects within range without pausing the music. The previous version was a buzzkill when tunes are jamming and I wander too far away and the music stops. The watch/app update has fixed that.

The one caveat is volume battles! I typically like my music relatively loud, my wife, ehh, not so much. So... when she turns it down at the boat level, I cannot turn it back up, I can only turn it up to what the boat level is at. If she turns it down to 50%, I can only go that loud, remotely speaking of course.

Last edited:

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this solution won't allow you to change the playlist but for ~$35 a decent quality waterproof remote works best. Started using Chubby Buttons last year, they are not waterproof but had a bluetooth range well over 100ft. Hopping this one does the same but I have yet to test it out. IPX7 rating and a watch style band, turn the stereo up all the way then control volume and song selection from the phone. Easy way to not have to risk loosing a watch on the water.

Amazon.com: Recoil Waterproof Bluetooth Media Button, Steering Wheel Remote Control Compatible with iPhone 11 Plus Max/11 Plus/11, Xs Max/XS/XR/X, 8 Plus/8, 2019 iPad/iPad Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus/S10: Car Electronics