• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else fleeing their state?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It took me an hour to read all of the posts in this thread.

Congrats on your move, it sounds/reads like your happy.

All,

Thanks for sharing your opinions on this without insulting each other for where we live or the choices made. This made reading all of the posts possible for me.

As I read all of the posts my opinions went from every place is so different to every place is the same and the grass is always greener somewhere else to its the same color grass just in a different place.

for the most part I was raised in CA, I live in CA now and will probably die here. Since it’s what I know and my close family lives here I’m fine with it. At this point in my life (within 10 years of retiring) the only thing that might convince me to leave this state would be if my son (currently 20, single and in college) were to start a family and move to some other state or country. In that case, my wife (assuming she agrees) and I would either move there or if finances permitted buy a second home there and visit often (as in live there at least six months a year or maybe during the school year depending on how old the grandkid(s) is (are)).

I do not remember who stated it in this thread or the exact statement but I do agree that, no place is perfect for everyone it just has to be perfect or good enough for me. Applying this more broadly,
a place only has to be perfect or close enough for the person(s) living where they are or want to be.

We’ve been out a couple times in the last 2 weeks. Went to the Blue Angels show July 9, that was our last outing. Yesterday and Saturday didn’t look good, this weather has been ridiculous. Normally it’s 20-30 minute quick afternoon storms then sunny again. Not this year, it’s been gloomy all day and 2-3 hours of storms every day. Over it lol. The only saving grace is the daily storms taper off about the time the tourists go away, so we are looking forward to autumn.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will there continue to be a farm in Babin Farms?

Congrats on the new job.

Jim
Unfortunately there will not be. This is one of the things I knew I was going to have to give up to make this move but I see it as an opportunity for me to do some of the things that I don’t have time for with the life I currently am living.

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah I moved of the farm and out of western NY in 2010 to South South FL and never looked back.. way better off in FL than I was in NY.

do I miss my friends and the world I had there... Yup

are hurricanes the price for livin in paradise... Yup

hows that song go... "the high cost of livin beats the cost of livin high..."

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Living in a much better place, one gains a better perspective, which gave new meaning to a couple of things Morpheus says to Neo in the Matrix…

The first is when Neo first meets Morpheus and Morpheus tells Neo why he is there;
"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad."

I felt the same way from an early age.

The second is when Morpheus is talking to Neo as they walk through a crowded city street in the training simulator where he is first introduced to the sentient programs referred to as agents.
“You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it." Or to paraphrase, people will fight to protect the system that enslaves them.
I feel fortunate that I was raised by parents who taught me to think for myself, critically think for myself. Am I perfect at that? Absolutely not, but I make the best effort I can. (There are no contradictions, if you find that there is a contradiction check your premises and you will find one of them is wrong-Ayn Rand) This type of thinking makes you an outcast with the followers of the world, or the “right on bro I’d do the same thing” folks.

It makes me happy to see that people are unplugging themselves so to speak and are seeking out a life that is better, and are eschewing The Aristocracy of Pull (Bonus points if you know what that is).

It’s your life, lead it the way you want it, for surely you will die your own death.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Unfortunately there will not be. This is one of the things I knew I was going to have to give up to make this move but I see it as an opportunity for me to do some of the thing that I don’t have time for with the life I currently am living.
I totally understand and hope that you and your family enjoy this next chapter in your lives.

I have made several cross country (and more recently local) moves over my career. Each place has been different and had it's pluses and minuses. By focusing on the pluses, I have enjoyed every place I have lived.

Will your future boating be on fresh or salt water?

Jim

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
yeah I moved of the farm and out of western NY in 2010 to South South FL and never looked back.. way better off in FL than I was in NY.

do I miss my friends and the world I had there... Yup

are hurricanes the price for livin in paradise... Yup

hows that song go... "the high cost of livin beats the cost of livin high..."
Its actually the high cost of livin ain't nothing like the cost of livin high...sorry I'm petty🤣🤣🤣🤣

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we change the words down here all the time LOL... sometimes we change the order too... :hungover:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I bought a place in Florida in 2010 when the housing market hit bottom there. I immediately divorced PA and became a FL resident. I still have some property in PA since we still have family there and go back at the holidays and a couple months in the summer..... but it was the best decision I made in my life.

PA is a poorly run state and the weather there suck.

My property value in FL has tripled. My property taxes have stayed the same. No income tax. No death tax. FL is a much better run state. If you love water and great weather, its a great place to be!
Couldn’t agree more. We left NE Ohio 12 years ago for Florida. The cost of living is substantially higher than Ohio for what you get, but the quality of life more than justifies it! When we first moved down, I took our car in for an oil change and the guy asked if it was a flood damage car because the entire bottom was rusted. He said he never seen anything like that in a 2 year old car. I said, rust belt from the east side of Cleveland.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is why I fleed my state. Still fly “The Ohio State University” flag every Saturday during Big10 football season.
93414F6C-589D-4344-B036-964B7C0703DF.jpeg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Speaking for the whole planet outside of Ohio…leave THE annoying sh.. back at home with all the other problems!!!
Haters will be haters, especially those from the state up north. I am a life member to The Ohio State University Sea Grant Program.
Being from a long line of Lake Erie Charter Captains in my family, I think we can all benefit from this.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Haters will be haters, especially those from the state up north. I am a life member to The Ohio State University Sea Grant Program.
Being from a long line of Lake Erie Charter Captains in my family, I think we can all benefit from this.
Just giving you crap. Enormous number of former and current Ohioans here.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Just giving you crap. Enormous number of former and current Ohioans here.
All good things. This is my wife’s first boat. She has a hard time justifying not using the boat for a couple weeks. Growing up, we didn’t use the boat for months due to lake ice. Even though she’s from Ohio, weather never affected her life lol.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update

We put our house on the market and within 4 days we had an offer, accepted it and have a closing date of Dec. 29th, the day before we close on our house down south. We've been downsizing, cleaning things up getting ready for the move. I have 2 enclosed trailers lined up to get everything down there and have made a game plan on how it's all hopefully going to happen. We originally wanted an earlier closing date but now I'm glad that it's later, giving me more time to sell things off and get the buildings cleaned out. Can't wait until I'm down there, settled in and can relax for a while.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update

We put our house on the market and within 4 days we had an offer, accepted it and have a closing date of Dec. 29th, the day before we close on our house down south. We've been downsizing, cleaning things up getting ready for the move. I have 2 enclosed trailers lined up to get everything down there and have made a game plan on how it's all hopefully going to happen. We originally wanted an earlier closing date but now I'm glad that it's later, giving me more time to sell things off and get the buildings cleaned out. Can't wait until I'm down there, settled in and can relax for a while.
Awesome! Sounds like your plan is all coming together nicely! You cleared the biggest hurdle when you made the commitment to move.

The purge to rid one’s self of the detritus of life is so important…. I got rid of so much stuff and it made the move a lot easier, and there is still more to be gotten rid of. The Euros call it a death cleaning, basically getting rid of stuff so the ones who have to take care of your affairs have an easier time logistically as well as emotionally when you are gone.

We can get so emotionally attached to things that are a tactile attachment to the past, Moms favorite apron, Dads shoeshine kit etc…. Things that give us a way to touch the ones we love that are long gone..a few items are a good thing, all of them just becomes a burden.

Keep us posted on your progress! Looks like you will be ringing in the new year with a new chapter of your life.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After our house fire back in 2015 I don't get sentimental about items from anyone because it's just stuff. As long as I have the memories that's all that matters. I just sold my dad's(passed away in 2014) tool boxes and some people were in disbelief but I don't have a use for them, I have my own and am not going to have the room after I move to store them so why keep them. They're just stuff. It doesn't mean I miss my dad any less but they hold no value to me. When you lose everything in a fire you begin to realize what's really important and what's not.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Absolutely!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today I turned in my 2 week notice at the current job and the last working day will be Dec. 16th. Depending on time taken off between now and then I should be paid until sometime in the second week of January.
Trailers and help are lined up to get all of my things down to AL. and things are moving along well.